Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

That synopsis sounds awfully similar to what’s going on in DC / Batman with one Joker seeding Jokers throughout the multiverse.

The old gray Wolverine head in a jar as the leader of the resistance was absurd. I laughed. But didn’t hate it. The rest of the issue? Meh.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Since we probably won't get an explanation from Percy, and whatever explanation will probably be stupid, I'll offer my own for Hank's behavior:

Very early in X-Force's run, Hank is very stressed, so Logan offers to take him out for drinks one night to unwind. After Hank downs several beers, he gets drunk and starts crying to Logan, saying he's acted like such a jerk the past few years, and if he had to go through the resurrection protocols, he wouldn't want to remember how awful he was. Logan assures him that's water under the bridge, but Hank gets up and says he's going to do something about it. Logan thinks he's just going to take a leak, but Hank has something else in mind. Outside the bar area, he finds someone selling hallucinogenic Krakoan mushrooms, and buys one.

"I want to have fun for once!" says Hank as he eats the mushroom. He goes to the resurrection facility and deletes his memories, but in his drunkenness, deletes too much, deleting memories all the way back to his Avengers days. Just then the mushrooms start working, and he has horrible hallucinations about the things shown in X-Force. Since he was worrying about acting like a jerk and was with Logan, his bad trip seizes on those things in his mind. Increasingly horrified by the hallucinations, he trips, falls, and impales his head on a spiky decoration. Logan comes in, wondering where Hank went, just as Hope comes in to see what all the noise was about.

"Aw, #%&*, you can revive him, right?" asks Logan.

And that's how we're going to get the Avengers era Hank.
    placeholder signature until I can think of something.

I saw someone on Twitter describe Beast's monster form as his paranoia and insecurities personified, Beast started this era being afraid of Krakoa crumbling down and being destroyed, which set him off on a crash course to do any and everything to make sure that Krakoa was untouched and away from harm. With this form, his morality is cast away and making him a "god of mutants'

Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    Another of my theories out the window.

It's just...it's never going to get better, is it? It hasn't for the Peter Parker Spider-Man, and it won't for Beast.

Oh, just kill him and revive him as the happy Beast from the Avengers? Let's just forget this issue showed he was an omnicidal-maniac. This is going to dog this character FOREVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    The good part is… IvX was so badly written, even the Emma haters don’t bring that story up.

This run of XForce is also horribly written, so it will not matter in the long run and will be ignored.
    I think what helped Emma's case in IvX was that the fans of her and the X-Men were loud in expressing their distaste for that story and the direction it was taking the character. At the end of the IvX she was shown in a judge dredd/magneto and seemingly insane, only for all of that to be backtracked (a little) and greatly ignored, with Marvel even ignoring the event and writers having to fix her story a get her back to the way she was before the event. I think depending on how poorly received this whole characterization for Beast is going and how loud the fan outcry is we'll probably see a change in how they're handling his character.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    I saw someone on Twitter describe Beast's monster form as his paranoia and insecurities personified, Beast started this era being afraid of Krakoa crumbling down and being destroyed, which set him off on a crash course to do any and everything to make sure that Krakoa was untouched and away from harm. With this form, his morality is cast away and making him a "god of mutants'

I think what helped Emma's case in IvX was that the fans of her and the X-Men were loud in expressing their distaste for that story and the direction it was taking the character. At the end of the IvX she was shown in a judge dredd/magneto and seemingly insane, only for all of that to be backtracked (a little) and greatly ignored, with Marvel even ignoring the event and writers having to fix her story a get her back to the way she was before the event. I think depending on how poorly received this whole characterization for Beast is going and how loud the fan outcry is we'll probably see a change in how they're handling his character.
    The thing I often see on twitter when I look for Beast is people drawing him being killed in awful ways or wishing they could punch him. This arc has been received very negatively, but the things I'm reading(reddit, twitter, etc.) mostly seem to want him to go away forever. Some things though like the recent bleedingcool article about Hank had people in the comments hope he's brought back as a hero.

But yes, Hank has severe self-worth and insecurity issues, but instead of showing him confronting them, writers keep having him double up on them until here we are.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

This was such a meh issue. My biggest gripe is that most characters really don't sound like themselves. It's hard to believe this is the same Sage Chris Claremont created and don't even get me started on Laura.

Percy fares much better when he focuses on Wolverine, Domino and Deadpool as he seems to have a much better grasp on them. Weirdly enough, I really enjoyed the latest arcs focused on Beast because I just bit the bullet and accepted that that's how the character speaks, thinks and operates at the moment - I can't quite do the same with everyone though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    This was such a meh issue. My biggest gripe is that most characters really don't sound like themselves. It's hard to believe this is the same Sage Chris Claremont created and don't even get me started on Laura.

Percy fares much better when he focuses on Wolverine, Domino and Deadpool as he seems to have a much better grasp on them. Weirdly enough, I really enjoyed the latest arcs focused on Beast because I just bit the bullet and accepted that that's how the character speaks, thinks and operates at the moment - I can't quite do the same with everyone though.
    TBH , Sage has an actual distinct individual personality now , even if it is drunken hot-mess like Bridget Jones LOL

I cannot recall immediately exactly how CC used to write Sage , but judging by his most recent work , the X-treme X-men revival* , CC makes all of his characters identical Mary Sues/Gary Stus who seesawswing between being extremely childish overgrown teenagers w/ no impulse control in a permanent arrested state of development (as if they spend their entire lives in suspended animation ala OG Lion-O from 1980’s Thundercats), or extremely-jaded burned-out world-weary know-it-alls w/ PTSD as if they’re immortals already lived through multiple lifetimes (which would make him perfect to return to a Moira M solo series LOL)

* it’s so unreadable , it now makes me wonder what I ever liked about CC’s writing , the quality has degenerated to the point of self-parody , like JR JR’s draftsmanship tsk tsk tsk
    Last edited by EldonMaguan; 05-18-2023 at 09:45 PM.

Okay, so maybe she has her own personality now, but why does she insist on wearing Jubilee's old clothes?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EldonMaguan View Post
    TBH , Sage has an actual distinct individual personality now , even if it is drunken hot-mess like Bridget Jones LOL

I cannot recall immediately exactly how CC used to write Sage , but judging by his most recent work , the X-treme X-men revival* , CC makes all of his characters identical Mary Sues/Gary Stus who seesawswing between being extremely childish overgrown teenagers w/ no impulse control in a permanent arrested state of development (as if they spend their entire lives in suspended animation ala OG Lion-O from 1980’s Thundercats), or extremely-jaded burned-out world-weary know-it-alls w/ PTSD as if they’re immortals already lived through multiple lifetimes (which would make him perfect to return to a Moira M solo series LOL)

* it’s so unreadable , it now makes me wonder what I ever liked about CC’s writing , the quality has degenerated to the point of self-parody , like JR JR’s draftsmanship tsk tsk tsk
    I think we must have read different Claremont comics LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    Since we probably won't get an explanation from Percy, and whatever explanation will probably be stupid, I'll offer my own for Hank's behavior:

Very early in X-Force's run, Hank is very stressed, so Logan offers to take him out for drinks one night to unwind. After Hank downs several beers, he gets drunk and starts crying to Logan, saying he's acted like such a jerk the past few years, and if he had to go through the resurrection protocols, he wouldn't want to remember how awful he was. Logan assures him that's water under the bridge, but Hank gets up and says he's going to do something about it. Logan thinks he's just going to take a leak, but Hank has something else in mind. Outside the bar area, he finds someone selling hallucinogenic Krakoan mushrooms, and buys one.

"I want to have fun for once!" says Hank as he eats the mushroom. He goes to the resurrection facility and deletes his memories, but in his drunkenness, deletes too much, deleting memories all the way back to his Avengers days. Just then the mushrooms start working, and he has horrible hallucinations about the things shown in X-Force. Since he was worrying about acting like a jerk and was with Logan, his bad trip seizes on those things in his mind. Increasingly horrified by the hallucinations, he trips, falls, and impales his head on a spiky decoration. Logan comes in, wondering where Hank went, just as Hope comes in to see what all the noise was about.

"Aw, #%&*, you can revive him, right?" asks Logan.

And that's how we're going to get the Avengers era Hank.
    You know, in a sense, Percy going this all over the top with Beast is a good thing. He is burning decades of "Evil Hank" storylines in a couple of arcs. After all this, a clean slate is the only possible option.

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    You know, in a sense, Percy going this all over the top with Beast is a good thing. He is burning decades of "Evil Hank" storylines in a couple of arcs. After all this, a clean slate is the only possible option.
    I once thought of this, that they're getting all the 'evil Hank' stories out of their system, since they've been trying to go in that direction for years. But I fear it's going to ruin him completely.

Issue 41… Beast reaches Dominion status

Issue 42… Beast resurrects Butter Rum just so he can kill her

Issue 43… Beast takes on the Chronicler’s pen, and writes himself a li’l story called “Fall of X”
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Extraordinary Member

After rereading this... it felt pretty rough. Percy was 'inspired' by all the SoS goofiness and came up with his own.

On a seriousness note, I wish we knew exactly what is up with Chronicler. He is writing out the scene but it does not happen the way he writes it. It seems like he loses Colossus because he goes into the future but his story would have had him kill QQ first?

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    After rereading this... it felt pretty rough. Percy was 'inspired' by all the SoS goofiness and came up with his own.
    You've got to be f**king kidding. But...it makes sense.

Sounds like Bendis gave Beast a trial a few years too early.