Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    All of these people saying no. Really?! If you don't like them, don't buy their books. Some of us are actually fans and would like to have an opportunity to see them appear more.
    I'm okay with Marvel giving Inhumans another chance, but after one of the biggest pushes by this company on an IP where it failed to capture a following isn't it bad business for Marvel to try again especially when the TV show bombed?

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    But eugenics was done to them they didn't do it on themselves?

I think you can make a compelling story looking at imperialism, colonialism, and slavery.

I mean the Kree did this to them and created them, they're humans who were "corrupted" by an imperial society.

An example of a story: a subjugated peoples rising up against their far off rulers, only wanting to be masters of their own destiny but continually being hounded by their oppressors who are looking for some celestial messiah.

But who knows, I'm just a dork thinking of ideas on the internet.
    People ignore this and most of the stories and can't read comics when they think a two Jewish writers would create superheroes to push readers into being right-wing fascists.

Even the later stories in the 2000's dealt with the fact that he inhumans were slaves and made as experiments for a war, as well as the Genetics Council being their villains.

People not liking them because of them being used as scapegoats for the Fox making Logan and Deadpool instead of them being in Infinity War and Endgame took a life of its own and pseudo-bloggers writing garbage posts to equate a race of fictional people as the enemy has had a negative impact in the comic book world. People hating inhumans became popular as it was pushed on people.

Why would anyone like Captain America when he was a fascist who didn't want mutants to exist and return during Avengers vs. X-Men? They gave him a pass for no reason and they shoved the story under a rug because we try to forget bad stories that happen to characters.

Also, someone saying "nowadays," when we all know there was an inhuman genocide as their last story just goes to show that their hate for them surpasses reality.

I honestly really don't care either way but I try to look at it from an objective way. The first question that Marvel will have is: "Will this sell?"
    That's the big point that everything revolves around. Namor is one of the oldest Marvel characters and he has no book. When a character was created or who created them is frankly irrelevant. Material will be made if it sells or if Marvel thinks it at least has the potential to sell. If that is not the case, no material will be made. This has nothing to do with the Inhumans specifically. This is true for everything Marvel does. There have been countless cancelled books even about big franchises and characters. It's nothing special or out of the ordinary.
    So it's not too far-fetched to say that either no writer currently has interest in pitching something about Inhumans or the pitches they are doing are not convincing enough for Marvel to actually publish. Take your pick.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I'm okay with Marvel giving Inhumans another chance, but after one of the biggest pushes by this company on an IP where it failed to capture a following isn't it bad business for Marvel to try again especially when the TV show bombed?
    I don’t understand this idea that a character or concept only has a certain number of “chances”. If there’s a compelling story to be told that’s all the rationale I need to give it a chance. If we took that attitude with characters we would have missed on many great stories (Daredevil for instance got many chances before Frank Miller).

I mean, there are plenty of characters who have been eventually given new chances after a failed series. We just recently had the third movie based on a comic series from 2008 that got cancelled because nobody was reading it. I don't think the Inhumans are inherently poison to good stories, the last push was just done in a way that turned people off. You don't have to replicate that. Start small with a single book and see if there's interest.

Growing up as a kid I loved Triton. I thought he looked so cool. Especially when he first appeared. He was cloaked in a cumbersome breathing apparatus. Very mysterious. Maybe it’s time that Black Bolt can finally speak without totaling everything around him. Definitely bring the Inhumans back via the FF4. A speaking Black Bolt would definitely improve the readership. I think it would anyways. That’s a better change than getting rid of the Inhumans altogether.

As for Kamala? Don’t give her the MCU powers. Keep her just the way she is. Marvel FU the whole Inhuman situation. Don’t make the characters or the fans suffer. She’s an Inhuman. So what. Now she’s potentially going to be a mutant? Give me a break.

Astonishing Member

1) To everyone wondering what chance this is, it is the 3rd chance. The 1st chance would be 1975 with the first volume running close to 2 years with 12 issues. The 2nd chance is debatable. Son of M which was supposed to be the first in a trilogy of Inhuman mini stories, and while the 3rd wasn't made their story continued from that in their tie-ins and staring in events until reaching Hickman's F4 where just guest characters that led into Infinity (2013) which set off their first ongoing since the vol 1 which could also be looked as their second chance.

2) Now should they get another chance, yes I believe the reason why the second chance didn't work was forcing a conflict with Mutants, if Marvel didn't do that it would have worked. About them not being good characters to lead in books cause of their society, people should be more clear. If someone says 'Inhumans practice eugenics' well you are not wrong, but this practice was enforced by a specific group of Inhumans the Genetics Council which have been antagonist to the Royals/House of Agon plus others in the Marvel universe. It would be someone going, 'Mutants shouldn't get a book becuase they believe in Superiority', but the person is refering to the Brotherhood of Mutants technically correct (the best kind of correct) Mutants believe in this, but not all of them and some even oppose this. I also feel just because someone is written in a way that isn't the best morally doesn't mean they couldn't turn this around. Who here is a fan of The Mandalorian, let's just look at from how The Mandalorians were used in TCW to The Mandalorian the Inhumans could have that.

3) Could they have a compelling story that really could be just them, well depends who is writing and who is reading. so here is an idea for you people to judge:

Blinky wanted to free her world, the 600 Bazaars, so what if she has a hard time returing to it. Origionally she was going to ask to just borrow Lockjaw to teleport in, but Black Bolt stepped up wanting to go with her which lead to the others of the House of Agon to also want to go. They ask the other Inhuman Tribes and Kingdoms who agree some view the bosses like the Kree, while others see this planet being an ally would be good for the Inhumans.

So they sneak in and free the planet where it is discovered the bosses are just there to look after it for another who controls the whole system secretly. This being is part of a group called, the Ten Systems Protectorate. A group that all planets in ten systems gave their control over origionally to protect themselves against the great powers like the Skrulls. However this group became corrupt forcing everyone to work to their whims and having anything they didn't like removed.

Really not liking this, and using Karnak along with other advanced thinkers and their advanced teleportation abilities to get by the Protectorate defences. From there the Inhumans find other resistance movements and help arm plus coordinate attacks leading to the first system of the Protectorate to fall. Originally the remaining 9 make a deal with Black Bolt where he would just take up the former seat but he makes a new offer, to give up their power and he would allow them a single moon to govern as a province in the Inhuman's Commonwealth.

The Commonwealth still acts as a neutral party to protect these planets from outside threats but don't have control on how the planet works. The planets can choose to run how they want to, and specialize in. Some planets even can be like how Attilan was closed off save for a few who would meet to represent at both the negotiation table or on the battlefield. The Inhuman Kingdoms and Tribe have been making homes on the moons and in giant floating cities where negotianations are made with one for each system that floats around, the planets of the system hold a seat on a council.

By the time we meet up with them the Protectorate has been brought down to 3 systems, while the Commonwealth has actually brought the sense of basic living back to some worlds with some reigniting ancient cultures and traditions. At first some felt worried at having outsiders acting as their Head of State but seeing the new freedoms they brought have started to warm up. To others they see the Inhumans in different ways but positive.

To religous/spiritual worlds they are like a Godly Order.
    To more militaristic/aggresive one, they are the greatest soldiers of the greatest Legion.
    Others who are trying to see where to look to their worlds follow around them, as if they were the center of the sun.
    But to all they are and example of difference can come together, as no matter what they are one.

Well thoughts does this seem something you would want to read?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I don’t understand this idea that a character or concept only has a certain number of “chances”. If there’s a compelling story to be told that’s all the rationale I need to give it a chance. If we took that attitude with characters we would have missed on many great stories (Daredevil for instance got many chances before Frank Miller).
    I'm all for repeated chances but sometimes it doesn't make sense financially for Marvel. Especially since there's little to no chance for the Inhumans to be adapted on the big screen in the near future I can't imagine why they would concentrate any resources and storylines. But I would definitely read the next Inhumans comic.

To me the Inhumans, while a certainly interesting concept, have always just been too bizarre to carry a straight up superhero book as the main stars. They're not even superheroes to begin with, they're weirdos who have been altered and colonized completely, in body and thought, by an alien force. They live in an utterly isolated domain, and their culture and way of life is so foreign and separate from humanity that they may as well be aliens themselves. (Of course this is where the "In-human" bit comes from) All of which makes it difficult to really get to, or want to, know them and their lives. I mean, their main character is an unknowable, mute, "perfect" being. They work best as a sci-fi concept, not a superhero one, while being guest stars or supporting characters in other character's stories. Like the FF.

They remind me of that other group of beings that were altered and colonized into powerful beings with a weird, isolated, bizarre culture, by an outside alien force: The Eternals. For similar reasons The Eternals have never been able to really capture an audience.

Mighty Member

100%

I really loved the Inhumans before the big push. Hickman really did wonders with those characters to someone who was previously unacquainted with them. It sucks that Marvel has to punish the characters (new and old) for their own mistakes.

That said, I don't think now is the time. Where as before it felt like they were trying to make the Inhumans the X-Men, now the X-Men are a lot like the Inhumans with the whole running an insular nation/kingdom and all the political drama involved in that. There was the dividing line of Inhumans being based in space and the X-Men mostly based on Earth, but the X-Men are even more integrated into space related stuff now than they've arguably ever been. So when it comes to what can be done to set these two franchises apart in a way where casuals don't have to dive too deeply, right now, I don't have an idea. Maybe after the Krakoan era is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    To me the Inhumans, while a certainly interesting concept, have always just been too bizarre to carry a straight up superhero book as the main stars. They're not even superheroes to begin with, they're weirdos who have been altered and colonized completely, in body and thought, by an alien force. They live in an utterly isolated domain, and their culture and way of life is so foreign and separate from humanity that they may as well be aliens themselves. (Of course this is where the "In-human" bit comes from) All of which makes it difficult to really get to, or want to, know them and their lives. I mean, their main character is an unknowable, mute, "perfect" being. They work best as a sci-fi concept, not a superhero one, while being guest stars or supporting characters in other character's stories. Like the FF.

They remind me of that other group of beings that were altered and colonized into powerful beings with a weird, isolated, bizarre culture, by an outside alien force: The Eternals. For similar reasons The Eternals have never been able to really capture an audience.
    So much this
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    None of them are remotely near the superhero genre. The rules on what works and what doesn't are not the same.

By the way, the Inhumans can work... as villains. Just look at Dr. Doom. Everybody loves him for things that would be rejectable in a hero.

Yes, that's right. The idea that someone may like this eugenic society, use them in avatars and support their continuous publishing, surely looks baffling to outsiders
    Half of Doom's fans think he's a hero.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Like the X-Men have also went in this direction today, which goes to show Marvel does similar things with their alien tampered superpowered sub species. I think people stopped relating to the X-Men in the Krakoa era because they copied so much of this, when before the X-Men were just a rebranded Avengers.

X-Men fans ate this up because they actual think superhumans who separate from humanity in an isolated nation to create their own culture is good. They just wanted it to be their nostalgic besties, and Marvel figured this out.

It's also an homage to Jack Kirby.

I've always enjoyed the Inhumans Royal Family and think the "NuHumans" was a good concept, and both should be further explored. But I'd stay away from actual Inhumans Society every time it's elaborated on, they never come off as good. Instead of a race of superbeings choosing to live separate from humanity in their peaceful city they come off as racist who don't want to live with "those people" and that's before you get into the awful Alpha Primitives Situation. Besides being made on the cheap another sad element to the Inhumans tv series was I was siding with Maximus.

Astonishing Member

A lot of what you just described could be used to describe Black Panther and Wakanda. But ok as you put they work good in a sci-fi concept not a superhero one, as the words "superhero" were never brought up in the title or the OP. If the argument made now is 'Marvel is a superhero comic company, they should only focus on that' what defines a superhero character/book, and do characters like Punisher, Dr. Strange, Namor, and many others also meet this.

A big thing for the Inhumans was that they were ready to change but let's say they are to alien to match with earth, why do they need to be on earth? With the likes of the Universal Inhumans being a thing their story can be now 100% cosmic. I presented an idea here that is this, and only the Inhumans could do that. If the stroy doesn't meet someones intrest ok I am curious about what of it does that.