Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    A lot of what you just described could be used to describe Black Panther and Wakanda. But ok as you put they work good in a sci-fi concept not a superhero one, as the words "superhero" were never brought up in the title or the OP. If the argument made now is 'Marvel is a superhero comic company, they should only focus on that' what defines a superhero character/book, and do characters like Punisher, Dr. Strange, Namor, and many others also meet this.

A big thing for the Inhumans was that they were ready to change but let's say they are to alien to match with earth, why do they need to be on earth? With the likes of the Universal Inhumans being a thing their story can be now 100% cosmic. I presented an idea here that is this, and only the Inhumans could do that. If the stroy doesn't meet someones intrest ok I am curious about what of it does that.
    I think this exemplifies the fact that most of the popular characters at Marvel are very black and white, good guy vs. bad guy stories and you see it a lot on social media, like when they criticize characters like the Scarlet Witch instead of appreciating the fact that she isn't bland.

The inhumans love Earth since it's their home, but that's why their conflicts came from the US military attacking them or the Kree abducting them, to humans gasing them and making them seek refuge on the Moon at one point. But they were also dragged into cosmic affairs due to their Kree genetic purpose.

I agree that they have a lot of nuance and their story was more flexible because they weren't tied to anything despite people confusing them for moon people from their 80's story or just the War of Kings event while ignoring their 60+ years of stories. Like the person who mentioned the Alpha Primitives still.
    Last edited by Force de Phenix; 05-20-2023 at 09:26 AM.

I vote yes to revival of the Inhumans. Give em to Hickman for a miniseries.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    I think this exemplifies the fact that most of the popular characters at Marvel are very black and white, good guy vs. bad guy stories and you see it a lot on social media, like when they criticize characters like the Scarlet Witch instead of appreciating the fact that she isn't bland.

The inhumans love Earth since it's their home, but that's why their conflicts came from the US military attacking them or the Kree abducting them, to humans gasing them and making them seek refuge on the Moon at one point. But they were also dragged into cosmic affairs due to their Kree genetic purpose.

I agree that they have a lot of nuance and their story was more flexible because they weren't tied to anything despite people confusing them for moon people from their 80's story or just the War of Kings event while ignoring their 60+ years of stories. Like the person who mentioned the Alpha Primitives still.
    I feel right now there isn't really a chance of Inhumans getting their own story on earth. Yes they can be used on earth or in space but just how the community reacts to them, and it feels from with what we have been given of them by Marvel they are cosmic.

Now Cosmic doesn't always means fully in the stars we can see political drama and relations between neighbours they just wouldn't be between recognizable earth nations and factions. From this it could be from 2 Inhuman Kingdoms on the planet they are sharing now.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Karnak has insane potential to carry his own title.

A lot of what you just described could be used to describe Black Panther and Wakanda. But ok as you put they work good in a sci-fi concept not a superhero one, as the words "superhero" were never brought up in the title or the OP. If the argument made now is 'Marvel is a superhero comic company, they should only focus on that' what defines a superhero character/book, and do characters like Punisher, Dr. Strange, Namor, and many others also meet this.

A big thing for the Inhumans was that they were ready to change but let's say they are to alien to match with earth, why do they need to be on earth? With the likes of the Universal Inhumans being a thing their story can be now 100% cosmic. I presented an idea here that is this, and only the Inhumans could do that. If the stroy doesn't meet someones intrest ok I am curious about what of it does that.
    I'm not sure Black Panther just being a human king in a non-western, nation is really the same as the Inhumans or Eternals and their remote alien weirdness.

The Inhumans are and would be marketed as another superhero book, they live in a world and run around with the FF and avengers etc. Marvel sells superhero books. I agree that many of their characters don't really qualify as such, like Dr. Strange, the Sub-Mariner etc, but regardless, they are still apart of that world.

As for your story ideas, I'm all for anyone doing anything with these characters. I'd love Marvel to be able to clearly market a book about them as non-superheros, and do anything creative with them. I just feel as like a team of superheroes fighting supervillains and saving the world type stories, they've just always been to weird a concept.

Extraordinary Member

Personally I think Inhumans work best as a group in a supporting role with the occasional limited series. I do think they work as individual members on a larger team like when Crystal was on the FF or the Avengers.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I'm not sure Black Panther just being a human king in a non-western, nation is really the same as the Inhumans or Eternals and their remote alien weirdness.

The Inhumans are and would be marketed as another superhero book, they live in a world and run around with the FF and avengers etc. Marvel sells superhero books. I agree that many of their characters don't really qualify as such, like Dr. Strange, the Sub-Mariner etc, but regardless, they are still apart of that world.

As for your story ideas, I'm all for anyone doing anything with these characters. I'd love Marvel to be able to clearly market a book about them as non-superheros, and do anything creative with them. I just feel as like a team of superheroes fighting supervillains and saving the world type stories, they've just always been to weird a concept.
    Well for the Black Panther bit, it was him and Wakanda. That they bring plenty of that isolated nayion sci-fi weirdness and just replace the Inhumans alien bits with the Panther Religon. In a way both can viewed and looked as Superheroes the same ways Captain America, and Alpha Flight are also superheroes though really tied in with national identity.

I do see where you are coming from the difference between what a superhero book is like an above post put a really black and white outlook. Really what they need is a good sci-fi story and if an event comes along where it looks like they would fit, throw them in that.

But you do agree another chance is ok for them?

BANNED

Yes why don't they deserve second chance in the first place? Such a bs question. But Marvel shouldnt do it if they want to underwhelm them again and again.
    Last edited by Vishop; 05-21-2023 at 02:22 AM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

People ignore this and most of the stories and can't read comics when they think a two Jewish writers would create superheroes to push readers into being right-wing fascists.

Even the later stories in the 2000's dealt with the fact that he inhumans were slaves and made as experiments for a war, as well as the Genetics Council being their villains.

People not liking them because of them being used as scapegoats for the Fox making Logan and Deadpool instead of them being in Infinity War and Endgame took a life of its own and pseudo-bloggers writing garbage posts to equate a race of fictional people as the enemy has had a negative impact in the comic book world. People hating inhumans became popular as it was pushed on people.

Why would anyone like Captain America when he was a fascist who didn't want mutants to exist and return during Avengers vs. X-Men? They gave him a pass for no reason and they shoved the story under a rug because we try to forget bad stories that happen to characters.

Also, someone saying "nowadays," when we all know there was an inhuman genocide as their last story just goes to show that their hate for them surpasses reality.
    I agree, what I find odd is that when a character or characters get a chance that doesn't mean they take away from other characters.

I get that people may dislike the Inhumans because of the whole X-Men thing but that is pure corporate wankery.

Buy what you like and don't buy what you don't.

Look at Spidey right now, it's the number one selling book, but posters here swear that the book is doomed - how can it be doomed if you keep buying it?

Vote with your dollar.

Why would anyone like Captain America when he was a fascist who didn't want mutants to exist and return during Avengers vs. X-Men?
    That was your take from the story? Not "hey, there's something out there destroying planets heading this way. We should probabaly do something about it destroying our planet."

Ultimate Member

On the one hand, I like the idea of the Inhumans, particularly of a whole society of these characters, and not (blech) just an endless rehashing of who the six members of the Royal Family are sleeping with this week. At this point, and after how badly they have been misused, I want to see nothing more of Black Bolt or Medusa for a couple of years. Probably not Karnak, either, with all the metaphysical nonsense they've gone into with him. Gorgon bores me. That leaves Crystal and Triton, and I like Crystal, and really, really want to see more about Triton, Karnak's brother that never seems to get a storyline.

On the other hand, a lot of what I like about the Inhumans 'culture/society of supers' concept has been explored over the last three years with Krakoa, and I don't want to retread that.

At this point, I think I'd rather see the Inhumans as more of a space-based franchise, perhaps gathering with the 'universal Inhumans' of other races to find a new destiny or future for themselves away from the 'Kree weapons' they were designed to be, and free to explore their uniqueness away from the un-modified members of their respective races.

Although, given how bored-to-tears I have grown with the terribly-written Royal Family over the last decade or two, I'd be even more fond of that Inhumans-in-Space concept if the Royal Family for the most part stayed on Earth and the heck away from it.

A Kree 'black science project' that has kept covert surveillance on them over the centuries, and kidnaps one from time to time to use in various acts of powered espionage or terror against enemies of the empire (or their own political faction thereof) could make for an interesting villain. Officially they don't exist. But Inhumans of various races have gone missing for as long as the various races remember, only sometimes a single person in a century, but in more intrigue-heavy times in the Kree Empire, perhaps even a couple at a time! These shadowy extremists also know how to activate the Terrigen in their bodies to control / discipline their captives, and, obviously, it's all top-secret, so none of the Inhumans captured and used this way ever get to survive and talk about the experience. Bam. Instant plot, tied to the Kree creation of these weapons (since it defies credulity that the super-power-less Kree would just create a entire populations of living weapons in non-subject/allied races and leave them lying around where, A) they do the Kree no good, and B) they could someday be used against them!).

Not only does this Kree black science division constitute a (very old) new threat to the Inhuman races in space, but also perhaps some of the other races that the Kree have *used* these unwitting living weapons on over the centuries. And if this information comes out, what do their parent races (Humans, Badoon, Kymelians, Dire Wraiths, etc.) think of entire powered populations being potential sleeper agents, just waiting for a Kree signal to take them over and turn them against their (mostly unpowered) parent species?

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    To me the Inhumans, while a certainly interesting concept, have always just been too bizarre to carry a straight up superhero book as the main stars. They're not even superheroes to begin with, they're weirdos who have been altered and colonized completely, in body and thought, by an alien force. They live in an utterly isolated domain, and their culture and way of life is so foreign and separate from humanity that they may as well be aliens themselves. (Of course this is where the "In-human" bit comes from) All of which makes it difficult to really get to, or want to, know them and their lives. I mean, their main character is an unknowable, mute, "perfect" being. They work best as a sci-fi concept, not a superhero one, while being guest stars or supporting characters in other character's stories. Like the FF.

They remind me of that other group of beings that were altered and colonized into powerful beings with a weird, isolated, bizarre culture, by an outside alien force: The Eternals. For similar reasons The Eternals have never been able to really capture an audience.
    Yes, to this. I think their value is more as compelling, strong guest stars or occasional mini's with their various stories.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

The way you describe them (which is accurate) they seem like a society who much longer ago, discovered how regular humanity can hate 'others'.

Kind of what the X-Men are mostly known for/as.

But the Inhumans are a much bigger society and this has gone on for much much longer. with them.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Yes, to this. I think their value is more as compelling, strong guest stars or occasional mini's with their various stories.
    I think their best stories have been solo stories, like the Paul Jenkins run,the Black Bolt solo, Inhuman, Karnak. Earth X was a good story/universe with them as key characters and they also brought a lot to the Infinity story.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    The way you describe them (which is accurate) they seem like a society who much longer ago, discovered how regular humanity can hate 'others'.

Kind of what the X-Men are mostly known for/as.

But the Inhumans are a much bigger society and this has gone on for much much longer. with them.
    Yeah.

The elephant in the room is how the X-Men rebranded themselves with elements from the inhumans, and people were patient with seeing how it developed and it takes years to get to know and develop characters, but the inhumans didn't stand a chance with all the negative articles from resentful fans with big platforms and incompetent writers/publishers who rehashed a bad events and their scapegoat status for problems with the company.

If they had more time to flesh out stories, we would've actually been able to see what else they could've told us because the stories weren't bad.

But you do agree another chance is ok for them?
    I doubt there will ever be a time when they don't have a chance. They're a big part of Marvel's Silver Age creation mythos, the Inhumans aren't going anywhere. Like many characters/titles, they could fade for years here and there, but someone will always bring them back. Again, just like any character or creation, all they need is the right story, the right writer, and you can make anything compelling. But the Inhumans just have a lot stacked against them from their starting point.