Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Spider-Man Sales in August 2014

Diamond sales data, and ICV2 estimates, are now available for comics that came out in August 2014.

Good month for Spidey.

1. Batman #34
    2. Amazing Spider-Man #5
    3. Original Sin #7
    4. Multiversity #1
    5. Superior Spider-Man #32
    6. Walking Dead #130
    7. Harley Quinn #9
    8. Amazing Spider-Man #1.4
    9. Guardians of the Galaxy #18
    10. Batman Eternal #18

30. Spider-Man 2099 #2
    59. Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man #4
    135. Superior Foes of Spider-Man #14
    138. New Warriors #8

While there isn't much discussion of it on the board, it seems Learning to Crawl has been a hit. Four months in, and it's still in the top ten. Plus, Marvel's going to have a self-contained TPB for new readers looking for an accessible Spider-Man story.

I am a bit surprised at Amazing's continued domination. It could just be the way Snyder's Batman suddenly became DC's best-selling title.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Harley Quinn being in the Top Ten is the real success story.

But glad to see Amazing still going strong.

Spectacular Member devinofthedead's Avatar

It's a good time to be a Spidey Fan! Amazing has been great, Slott will go down as a legend in my book. And SpiderVerse seems like it's going to be a great event. And 2099 is shaping up to be a must read for me every month. Here's to Spidey staying in the top ten!

BANNED

Snyder's Batman has consistently been DC's best-selling ongoing. This isn't "sudden". It also outsold ASM in June and July.

But yeah, not surprised that ASM has been doing very well. It's still riding the hype from it's debut, and I'm sure the Original Sin tie-in helped a lot for the main book.

Glad to see that USM is still doing well. Hopefully Marvel releases some books tied closer to that so the Ultimate Universe can have more books to sustain itself.

Great to see that Amazing is still selling so well. Hopefully it's putting an end to the nay sayers who thought the series would drop in sales once Peter returned.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Great to see that Amazing is still selling so well. Hopefully it's putting an end to the nay sayers who thought the series would drop in sales once Peter returned.
    Amazing Spider-Man is very strong sales due in part to what Slott has done to Felicia's character. I guess that making her into a villain has paid off big time. This is some what similar to Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man series of 1990 to 1991 when he was the solo writer of the series. Despite the bad writing dialog, it continued to break the sales record at the time mainly because of his spectacular art work. The difference here is that Slott's directing the artist with the plot to create the visuals that keeps readers asking for more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Snyder's Batman has consistently been DC's best-selling ongoing. This isn't "sudden". It also outsold ASM in June and July.

But yeah, not surprised that ASM has been doing very well. It's still riding the hype from it's debut, and I'm sure the Original Sin tie-in helped a lot for the main book.

Glad to see that USM is still doing well. Hopefully Marvel releases some books tied closer to that so the Ultimate Universe can have more books to sustain itself.
    Snyder was on Batman before the New 52, but they didn't have the top spot. The relaunch put Batman there. So it's "sudden" in that it took the reboot to get where they are.

Let me rephrase that, since it sounds like I'm not giving the creative team credit. People really started noticing the title as of the New 52, and they've managed to hang onto their readership ever since.

Fantastic Member Talkie Toaster's Avatar

Still such a shame that Superior Foes isn't selling nearly as well as it deserves
    Bah weep granah weep ninny bong

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talkie Toaster View Post
    Still such a shame that Superior Foes isn't selling nearly as well as it deserves
    That's because Marvel had not assigned that series to Dan Slott. This is why it might had been good to move their top writers to titles that could use their insight away from the main series to allow another writer a chance at writing Spider-Man. Marvel needs to mix things up instead of keeping things stagnant with keep a top unto one series for too long. Then again, we don't have any other Spider-Man titles but Amazing Spider-Man, which might explain the strong sales numbers: The only Spider-Man series around.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 09-06-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Snyder was on Batman before the New 52, but they didn't have the top spot. The relaunch put Batman there. So it's "sudden" in that it took the reboot to get where they are.

Let me rephrase that, since it sounds like I'm not giving the creative team credit. People really started noticing the title as of the New 52, and they've managed to hang onto their readership ever since.
    Yeah.

Snyder's Detective Comics run got good reviews but didn't light sales charts on fire.

Then he had the fortune of taking over Batman during a highly promoted relaunch. The relaunch brought eyeballs to the title (The last pre-Flashpoint issue was the 20th bestselling comic of the month), but Snyder pulled off the rare trick of keeping a lot of those new readers.

Similarly, some lucky breaks brought eyeballs to Amazing Spider-Man: the relaunch, the highly promoted return of Peter Parker after the events of Superior Spider-Man and the tie-ins to the new movie. Five months in, it's doing pretty well.

I'd also expect sales to stay high during Spider Verse.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    That's because Marvel had not assigned that series to Dan Slott. This is way it might had been good to move their top writers to titles that could use their insight away from the main series to allow another writer a chance at writing Spider-Man. Marvel needs to mix things up instead of keeping things stagnant with keep a top unto one series for too long. Then again, we don't have any other Spider-Man titles but Amazing Spider-Man, which might explain the strong sales numbers: The only Spider-Man series around.
    There are several problems with this.

Slott isn't a very prolific writer. Three titles a month is his absolute max. His current schedule has gotten ideal results for Marvel, with two Spider-Man books in the top ten and respectable sales for a Silver Surfer monthly.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/29603.html

Nick Spencer's also done a good job on Superior Foes.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Yeah.

Snyder's Detective Comics run got good reviews but didn't light sales charts on fire.

Then he had the fortune of taking over Batman during a highly promoted relaunch. The relaunch brought eyeballs to the title, but Snyder pulled off the rare trick of keeping a lot of those new readers.

Similarly, some lucky breaks brought eyeballs to Amazing Spider-Man: the relaunch, the highly promoted return of Peter Parker after the events of Superior Spider-Man and the tie-ins to the new movie. Five months in, it's doing pretty well.

I'd also expect sales to stay high during Spider Verse.
    The question is what happens after the Spider-Verse comes to an end? We now know that the Black Cat will be very busy keeping Deadpool and Hawkeye occupied.

BANNED

After Spider-Verse? They'll probably do something a little low-key, closer to home.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    The question is what happens after the Spider-Verse comes to an end? We now know that the Black Cat will be very busy keeping Deadpool and Hawkeye occupied.
    I don't think Black Cat's going to have much to do with sales, but it will be interesting to see how new readers respond to Slott.

Snyder's Batman has consisted of fairly commercial stories, and essentially been a monthly event book. Court of the Owls introduced the Talons, arguably the best new Batman villains of the last decade. That was followed by the return of the Joker. That was followed by Batman dealing with the loss of Damian Wayne. That's been followed by Batman's new origin.

Slott's tastes are sometimes a bit more esoteric.

It's possible that many readers will trickle away, with less interest in Slott's typical lower-key Spider-Man stories. There might also be pressure to key sales high with a focus on more commercial stories rather than letting Slott be Slott.

On the other hand, he may just have the perfect sensibility for prolonged sales success. This is the guy who turned a story with Jackal and the Queen as villains into a monster hit.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    After Spider-Verse? They'll probably do something a little low-key, closer to home.
    Personally, I would love to see Jessica Drew and Black Widow have a more active role in Peter's life, away from the Avengers respectively as they could fit into his world as much as Jennifer Walters(Human persona) as his legal adviser on Intellectual Property cases for Parker Industries, as well as seeing Greer Grant become a NYPD Crime Scene Investigator. As for the Black Cat, I think that the whole Catwoman carbon copy could be resolved if her memories of Peter as Spider-Man are restored to he because she works best as an anti-hero who has a lot of torn conflicts than a straight villain, which Felicia never was in the first place.