Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat 1

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Does anyone else think the guest characters seem like strange choices? I mean look at the guest characters in previous games-

Freddy Kruger, Jason Voorhees, Alien, Predator, Rambo, Robocop etc. Say what you will, I think we can all agree those are iconic characters.

This game has... J. Jonah Jameson in a superhero costume, some kind of Superman/Captain America ripoff and a guy that looks a bit like a parody of the Golden Age Flash (Jay Garrick.) These seem like joke characters.

Will anyone care about these clowns?
    That's just you're own personal biases at play.

I gurantee you more people in the game's target audience care about Homelander than cared about Robocop

I've never been a fan of guest characters period. I think they're all lame. But, as I understand, they do sell and draw in players, so...what can you do?

I've read that apparently, even though he's a pre-order bonus, Shang Tsung counts as one of the 24 roster slots--meaning there are five base characters left, not six.

Popular consensus is the remaining characters will be General Shao, Sindel, Reiko and Nitara with the final slot a question mark. Most seem to agree it will either be Jade or Sonya.

If it was up to me, I'd go with Jade. I think she'd be more relevant to the story they're setting up, and I also just prefer her in general. I've never liked Sonya.
    However, Sonya is one of the sacred cows of the franchise. I'd be shocked if she was excluded.

That aside, I really do like this roster. I got a bunch of my favorites and characters that I least like. And if the rumor's true that Sareena will be DLC down the road, this might be my favorite roster that isn't a Trilogy/Armageddon "include every character" line-up.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Human Reptile is Back! And as a Good Guy?!

Love his story so far as a shapeshifter outcast and what we've seen so far. Easily my favorite of the new editions so far. I'll definitely be playing his campaign first.

Mighty Member

Beta is live. And first impressions are very positive, overall. Game feels a little bit faster than MK11. Combos are BONKERS.

I've been toying around with Sub and Liu. Sub has overheads for days, but very limited in his launch game. Liu is, as usual, a flashy monster. I can pretty easily top 30% with one bar on Kang, and that's suboptimal and day 1. I love playing early day MK when nobody knows anything and you see a ton of wacky, YOLO stuff in matches that nobody would ever do in another 10 days of play. Got absolutely stomped by a Li Mei who lit me up for like 48% in the corner, and I think that was all of one bar while she was at it.

Potential balancing issues aside, this has been a ton of fun. Can't wait to get my hands on the rest of this roster.

Edit: I can't imagine some of these damage numbers live to the full release. Meterless 35% with kameos on Liu Kang, nearer to 40% in the corner. Meterless. Absolutely BONKERS.
    Last edited by ZeroBG82; 08-18-2023 at 09:52 PM.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Why does Shao look like Qunari from Dragon Age?

It's still not clear if they're keeping Sindel evil or not...

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Ha! There's actually going to be a tournament .
    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Why does Shao look like Qunari from Dragon Age?

It's still not clear if they're keeping Sindel evil or not...
    I think it's meant to evoke his helmet even without him wearing it. Or he's spoilers:
    Onaga's kid.
    end of spoilers

It seems like she has a bit of an evil side in gameplay, so...

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Shao has always been half dragon. If the fan speculation ends up being correct I won't have a problem with it

I wonder if Kung Lao is going to be ticked Raiden's the champion and he isn't.

Mighty Member

Sindel isn't quite the thirst trap she was in MK11. But it sounds like she's not straight up evil anymore, so maybe that's a worthy trade.

The horns on Shao are going to take some getting used to, but otherwise I dig the design.

Happy both voices are returning from 11, particularly Sindel's. She absolutely nailed that version of the character.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)