Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat 1

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Kitana, Mileena, Sindel, Li Mei, Tanya, Ashrah and Nitara.

That brings the female character count to seven, not counting Sonya, Frost and Sareena who are cameos.
    Also probably a good chance of more as DLC .

Hoping for this exchange between Sareena, Ashrah & Nitara in story mode:

Ashrah: "Ah, you're another demon that wishes to do good, like me. Use this magic sword, and you'll be purified as well."

Sareena: "That's good!"

Nitara: "The sword is cursed! It will take over your mind and turn you into a genocidal zealot!"

Sareena: "Oh, that's bad..."

Ashrah: "My sword rids the realms of vile creatures of darkness like vampires."

Sareena: "That's good?"

Nitara: "We vampires are just trying to survive, like any people! Who are you to judge us?!"

Sareena: "......"

Nitara: "It's bad."

Sareena: "Can I go now?"

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Hoping for this exchange between Sareena, Ashrah & Nitara in story mode:

Ashrah: "Ah, you're another demon that wishes to do good, like me. Use this magic sword, and you'll be purified as well."

Sareena: "That's good!"

Nitara: "The sword is cursed! It will take over your mind and turn you into a genocidal zealot!"

Sareena: "Oh, that's bad..."

Ashrah: "My sword rids the realms of vile creatures of darkness like vampires."

Sareena: "That's good?"

Nitara: "We vampires are just trying to survive, like any people! Who are you to judge us?!"

Sareena: "......"

Nitara: "It's bad."

Sareena: "Can I go now?"
    I wonder if that's still the case in this era given how much has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Megan Fox is an actual actress so she's already better.
    Also, Nitara is a slightly deep cut in terms of MK characters, whereas Sonya is the OG female character for the franchise. I don't know what the heck they were thinking with Rousey playing her.

Mighty Member

Anybody looking to play the story mode spoiler free, beware. Physical copies are in the wild and spoilers are on the loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Kitana, Mileena, Sindel, Li Mei, Tanya, Ashrah and Nitara.

That brings the female character count to seven, not counting Sonya, Frost and Sareena who are cameos.
    I really hope Jade and Sonya are DLC in the near future as this seems a little bit lacking in comparison to the male characters.

Can't wait to see the alternate skins the characters will have.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hope this turns out better than Ronda Rousey as Sonya.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Not a fan of Fox, and not expecting her to be particularly good, but it would be hard NOT to be better than Rousey's AWFUL Sonya performance in MK11. Literally everything about that stunt casting failed. Worst. Sonya. Ever.

On the positive side, Megan Fox is legit a huge MK fan. So it's got to be fun for her to be a part of the game in a way most fans will never have the opportunity.
    I'm no fan of Rousey but I liked her Sonya. Rousey brought a more experienced military tone to Sonya which I liked.

Fighting Games, MK by far has the best story/lore. I watch entire youtube channels that tell the entire MK Story.

As for MK1, here are my favorites based on characters (based on story) so far:

Johnny Cage: This guy skyrocketed to the top with the last several games. He had me laughing with his interactions and easily has the best ones. (Especially with Kitana, Li Mei, and Liu Kang). Netherrealm hit that right balance with his attitude. Cocky, but not a jerk. Likeable, funny, and he's not ditz.

Reptile: I'll still never forget the frustrations trying to fight this guy from the first Mortal Kombat Arcade. That's how I'll always remember him, as the bad-ass Green Ninja Boss. Never thought I'd see the day I'd see Human Reptile return...and as a hero! I'm in. Can't wait to see more of this one's story

Kitana: She actually has a personality! Like Cage, she's balanced perfectly. Good fighter, but there's an innocence to her, and hearing her laugh from Johnny's Interactions is a welcome surprise. Definitely beats these countless 'Girl Boss" characters which I find so stale
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 09-10-2023 at 06:34 AM.

I haven't look deep into the leaks, but from what I have seen, my impression of MK1's story is it starts out pretty promising...but falls apart at the end.

spoilers:
    It seems Mortal Kombat, not unlike DC Comics, is incapable of committing to a proper f***ing reboot because at the end it devolves into multiverse claptrap.

But as a Sareena fan, I'm fairly pleased all things considered. There isn't much--and I wasn't necessarily expecting there to be--but what is there gives me hope for good things in the future.

As for Kitana...
    There are things to like about how MK1 handles her in story-mode. But overall, it feels like she drew a short straw. It sucks because there was potential. The bios set up juicy conflict & possible development, but unfortunately she doesn't get any meaningful payoff. Mileena does, and good for her, but not so much for Kitana.

Maybe she'll get more/better focus in a DLC story expansion down the line? I'm not getting my hopes up there. As is, she's just kinda there to be cheerleader for Mileena or get jobbed out. I've seen worse...but it could've been a lot better.
    end of spoilers

Like I said, I've only glanced at certain spoilers, so this is only a first impression.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I was hoping to see this time-line more fleshed out. Develop these characters more.
    Didn't want this particular type of multi-verse insanity till later

Incredible Member

The story is the worst since mk9.

It is completely ruined by the pacing of the second half of the story.

I loved everything until the very moment of the plot twist.

Then it’s all a mess.

The link is down by the way, does anyone has access to the leaked stream?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Megan Fox is an actual actress so she's already better.
    She ended up being comparably bad in the end, unfortunately lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Also, Nitara is a slightly deep cut in terms of MK characters, whereas Sonya is the OG female character for the franchise. I don't know what the heck they were thinking with Rousey playing her.
    They got Dimitri Vegas to play Sub-Zero in a costume, and the guy is so bad he makes Ronda sound like a professional voice actress, MK likes to kiss the ass of popular people I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I'm no fan of Rousey but I liked her Sonya. Rousey brought a more experienced military tone to Sonya which I liked.
    Her MKX voice actress did the same with significantly more competence.

Fighting Games, MK by far has the best story/lore. I watch entire youtube channels that tell the entire MK Story.
    Honestly the best things from the lore are from the the arcade and 3D era, NRS just isn't as competent at making use of it lol.

On the other hand character writing from the NRS era is better, as plenty feel like actual characters, but story writing quality is, iffy, and when rewatching MK9 there were plenty of moments I was thinking "The ****? This is garbage" lol.

I haven't look deep into the leaks, but from what I have seen, my impression of MK1's story is it starts out pretty promising...but falls apart at the end.

spoilers:
    It seems Mortal Kombat, not unlike DC Comics, is incapable of committing to a proper f***ing reboot because at the end it devolves into multiverse claptrap.

But as a Sareena fan, I'm fairly pleased all things considered. There isn't much--and I wasn't necessarily expecting there to be--but what is there gives me hope for good things in the future.

As for Kitana...
    There are things to like about how MK1 handles her in story-mode. But overall, it feels like she drew a short straw. It sucks because there was potential. The bios set up juicy conflict & possible development, but unfortunately she doesn't get any meaningful payoff. Mileena does, and good for her, but not so much for Kitana.

Maybe she'll get more/better focus in a DLC story expansion down the line? I'm not getting my hopes up there. As is, she's just kinda there to be cheerleader for Mileena or get jobbed out. I've seen worse...but it could've been a lot better.
    end of spoilers

Like I said, I've only glanced at certain spoilers, so this is only a first impression.
    I watched most of the story mode and it's basically:

spoilers:
    Fun story with the Johnny/Kenshi/Raiden team up, later Reptile and Baraka join too.

Super boring with ninjas, Bi-han is just a whiny bitch.

Edenian plot sucked too.

The end is kinda meh, but plenty liked that you can pick who fights the final boss.

Almost every single repetitively obnoxious problem with NRS' writing style is there, the most major one that isn't is too many characters dying, the only death is Sindel's.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Alan Lee is killing it as the new Shang-Tsung. He sounds amazingly like Cary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Almost every single repetitively obnoxious problem with NRS' writing style is there
    Yeah, definitely looking that way. Lot of the same calling cards and tropes present.

On a slightly unrelated note...
    spoilers:
    I just saw the scene where Kitana reunites with Liu Kang....and I threw up in my mouth just a little bit. Will this god awful ship never freaking die?
    end of spoilers

Also...
    spoilers:
    I understand it's a new timeline and all, and I know a lot of fans seem to like her ship with Mileena, but personally I prefer the Tanya that cared only about herself and didn't give a f*** about anyone. Now she's just yellow Jade.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 09-14-2023 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Alan Lee is killing it as the new Shang-Tsung. He sounds amazingly like Cary.
    Yeah it's pretty good.

Yeah, definitely looking that way. Lot of the same calling cards and tropes present.

On a slightly unrelated note...
    spoilers:
    I just saw the scene where Kitana reunites with Liu Kang....and I threw up in my mouth just a little bit. Will this god awful ship never freaking die?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Probably not, it was hinted since early games, since MK4 at the latest
    end of spoilers

Also...
    spoilers:
    I understand it's a new timeline and all, and I know a lot of fans seem to like her ship with Mileena, but personally I prefer the Tanya that cared only about herself and didn't give a f*** about anyone. Now she's just yellow Jade.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    And Mileena is just Kitana-lite, but with Tarkatan aids I guess lol.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    I really hope Jade and Sonya are DLC in the near future as this seems a little bit lacking in comparison to the male characters.

Can't wait to see the alternate skins the characters will have.
    Something I didn't notice until I started story mode but there are no female characters in this game that come from earthrealm. All of them expect Nitaka and Ashrah are from outworld. Now I'm doubly disappointed this game had no new characters