Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 151 to 165 of 165

Thread: Mortal Kombat 1

  1. #151
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    114,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Something I didn't notice until I started story mode but there are no female characters in this game that come from earthrealm. All of them expect Nitaka and Ashrah are from outworld. Now I'm doubly disappointed this game had no new characters
    I feel like we might get story DLC with the main Earthrealm characters (Sonya, Jax, Kano, etc.)

  2. #152
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    13,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like we might get story DLC with the main Earthrealm characters (Sonya, Jax, Kano, etc.)
    I honestly prefer that they stay kameos. The special forces and black dragon have push the plot of too many games. I want to see characters that are brand new or dust off more 3D era characters.

  3. #153
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    33,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I honestly prefer that they stay kameos. The special forces and black dragon have push the plot of too many games. I want to see characters that are brand new or dust off more 3D era characters.
    When did the Black Dragon push the plot?

  4. #154
    Astonishing Member Psy-lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Hades
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like we might get story DLC with the main Earthrealm characters (Sonya, Jax, Kano, etc.)
    As long as they don't bring back Ronda Rousey to voice her...Megan Fox is atrocious enough already

  5. #155
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    114,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    As long as they don't bring back Ronda Rousey to voice her...Megan Fox is atrocious enough already
    Apparently Cristina Valenzuela did her grunts and yells so I'm assuming she was originally slated to voice Nitara before they brought Fox in...and they should've kept her.

  6. #156
    Astonishing Member Psy-lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Hades
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Apparently Cristina Valenzuela did her grunts and yells so I'm assuming she was originally slated to voice Nitara before they brought Fox in...and they should've kept her.
    Either that or Fox's attempt at grunts was so bad they had to revoice it.

  7. #157
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Apparently Cristina Valenzuela did her grunts and yells so I'm assuming she was originally slated to voice Nitara before they brought Fox in...and they should've kept her.
    I agree. Megan Fox is not even a good actress in live action stuff. So I don't know what they were thinking getting her and not someone who not only does voice acting as a profession, but would likely have cost less. I mean, Mortal Kombat already has a huge following. It's not like a bunch of people are suddenly gonna decide to get the new game suddenly because they learn Fox voices a character. She hasn't even been relevant in like a decade.

    Ronda Rousey was better at voicing Sonya in MK11 and that's not a compliment. Fox’s dialogue has zero enthusiasm and the actual recording quality sounds… off

  8. #158
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    13,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KCJ506 View Post
    I agree. Megan Fox is not even a good actress in live action stuff. So I don't know what they were thinking getting her and not someone who not only does voice acting as a profession, but would likely have cost less. I mean, Mortal Kombat already has a huge following. It's not like a bunch of people are suddenly gonna decide to get the new game suddenly because they learn Fox voices a character. She hasn't even been relevant in like a decade.

    Ronda Rousey was better at voicing Sonya in MK11 and that's not a compliment. Fox’s dialogue has zero enthusiasm and the actual recording quality sounds… off
    Jean-Claude Van Damme is worse than both of them. He sounds like an AI

  9. #159

    Default

    spoilers:

    I hope Kitana's gameplay at least is solid and fun to use, because story-wise, they made her freaking boring in this reboot.

    I don't necessarily want to be hard on MK1's portrayal of Kitana. I've seen much worse. It's not nearly as bad as how MK9 did her.
    And, yeah, it's a new timeline/reboot, so of course things will be different, and they're setting things up for the future, and all that. In context, it makes sense that Liu would set her up with peaceful life.

    BUT....

    The more I look at MK1's story and the re-imagining of certain characters--such as Kitana--I keep coming back to this quote from Zero Punctuation:
    "The interesting part of Jurassic Park the film was not the part where everything was going swimmingly."

    Awfully nice of Liu Kang to remove all the trauma & horror from Kitana's life, and yeah, it's wholesome she's so dedicated to Mileena & close with Sindel & her dad is Ermac now...

    But it's resulted in a very flat, boring take on the character.

    Kitana in MK1 has no drive. No initiative. She's purely reactive. She has no conflicts & no arc. She ends the story the exact same person. She learned nothing. Gained nothing. Didn't lose anything either, since Sindel lives in Ermac now with Jerrod.

    I'd argue this is an issue with MK1's story in general. Tanya, Havik, Quan Chi, Mileena, Ermac, Shao Kahn...they all feel watered down and diluted.
    I wonder if, after the response to how grim & nihilistic MK11's Aftermath was, they decided to go in the complete opposite direction, because honestly this story is toothless.

    I was willing to give the Scorpion/Sub-Zero swap a chance, but...yeah, this doesn't work for me, brother.
    I don't see Kuai Liang being Scorpion and Hanzo Hasashi becoming his & Smoke's kid side-kick as an improvement or intriguing change of pace. They just played musical chairs with the characters' names, and in the process sabotaged Hanzo and Noob Saibot.

    They set up all this potential intrigue and conflict in Kitana and Mileena's bios just to do f**k-all with them. Mileena's Tarkat disease is taken care of with ease. The alleged "whispers" that Kitana should rule instead of her never come up. So, she becomes Empress and everyone's happy. That was easy!

    I know--new timeline and things should be expected to be different. But it still needs to be interesting.

    Back to Kitana, in the lead-up to the game, I thought maybe this version of her growing up in relative peace would play into an arc. Like she would start out sheltered & soft and need to grow into the battle-hardened warrior the OG Kitana was in order to survive & protect her home and people.

    But...no. That doesn't really come up at all.

    In fact, the game pushes against it by having characters constantly assure Kitana how valuable she is to Mileena & how she'll be a great commander of Outworld's army.
    We're clearly supposed to regard her as an elite warrior.
    ...which, unfortunately, comes across a bit hollow when we see in story mode she loses pretty much every single fight she's involved with and fail to contribute anything of real value to the plot.

    Where does Kitana even go from here? There's no meat here. Leading Outworld's armies? Being Mileena's benign, bland sidekick? A ship with Raiden?
    Guh.

    Where does anyone go from here? Looking through all the endings and cliffhangers, literally the only sub-plot that actual intrigues me for the future is the stuff with Ashrah and Sareena.
    And knowing Netherealm Studios, that probably means both will disappear for another fifteen years.

    So, yeah...story-wise, I think this reboot is a dud. I'm not angry about it. MK9 made me angry. This is just disappointing.

    Sorry, Liu. Your timeline's boring. On the bright side, I hear the gameplay's fun. So there's that.
    end of spoilers

  10. #160
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    13,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    spoilers:

    I hope Kitana's gameplay at least is solid and fun to use, because story-wise, they made her freaking boring in this reboot.

    I don't necessarily want to be hard on MK1's portrayal of Kitana. I've seen much worse. It's not nearly as bad as how MK9 did her.
    And, yeah, it's a new timeline/reboot, so of course things will be different, and they're setting things up for the future, and all that. In context, it makes sense that Liu would set her up with peaceful life.

    BUT....

    The more I look at MK1's story and the re-imagining of certain characters--such as Kitana--I keep coming back to this quote from Zero Punctuation:
    "The interesting part of Jurassic Park the film was not the part where everything was going swimmingly."

    Awfully nice of Liu Kang to remove all the trauma & horror from Kitana's life, and yeah, it's wholesome she's so dedicated to Mileena & close with Sindel & her dad is Ermac now...

    But it's resulted in a very flat, boring take on the character.

    Kitana in MK1 has no drive. No initiative. She's purely reactive. She has no conflicts & no arc. She ends the story the exact same person. She learned nothing. Gained nothing. Didn't lose anything either, since Sindel lives in Ermac now with Jerrod.

    I'd argue this is an issue with MK1's story in general. Tanya, Havik, Quan Chi, Mileena, Ermac, Shao Kahn...they all feel watered down and diluted.
    I wonder if, after the response to how grim & nihilistic MK11's Aftermath was, they decided to go in the complete opposite direction, because honestly this story is toothless.

    I was willing to give the Scorpion/Sub-Zero swap a chance, but...yeah, this doesn't work for me, brother.
    I don't see Kuai Liang being Scorpion and Hanzo Hasashi becoming his & Smoke's kid side-kick as an improvement or intriguing change of pace. They just played musical chairs with the characters' names, and in the process sabotaged Hanzo and Noob Saibot.

    They set up all this potential intrigue and conflict in Kitana and Mileena's bios just to do f**k-all with them. Mileena's Tarkat disease is taken care of with ease. The alleged "whispers" that Kitana should rule instead of her never come up. So, she becomes Empress and everyone's happy. That was easy!

    I know--new timeline and things should be expected to be different. But it still needs to be interesting.

    Back to Kitana, in the lead-up to the game, I thought maybe this version of her growing up in relative peace would play into an arc. Like she would start out sheltered & soft and need to grow into the battle-hardened warrior the OG Kitana was in order to survive & protect her home and people.

    But...no. That doesn't really come up at all.

    In fact, the game pushes against it by having characters constantly assure Kitana how valuable she is to Mileena & how she'll be a great commander of Outworld's army.
    We're clearly supposed to regard her as an elite warrior.
    ...which, unfortunately, comes across a bit hollow when we see in story mode she loses pretty much every single fight she's involved with and fail to contribute anything of real value to the plot.

    Where does Kitana even go from here? There's no meat here. Leading Outworld's armies? Being Mileena's benign, bland sidekick? A ship with Raiden?
    Guh.

    Where does anyone go from here? Looking through all the endings and cliffhangers, literally the only sub-plot that actual intrigues me for the future is the stuff with Ashrah and Sareena.
    And knowing Netherealm Studios, that probably means both will disappear for another fifteen years.

    So, yeah...story-wise, I think this reboot is a dud. I'm not angry about it. MK9 made me angry. This is just disappointing.

    Sorry, Liu. Your timeline's boring. On the bright side, I hear the gameplay's fun. So there's that.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    There is an interesting story to tell with Kitana in Liu Kang timeline but it's never taken advantage of. The profiles and the campaign allude to their being people who prefer Kitana take the throne as Kitana is more responsible and dutiful than Mileena who is supposed to be an impulsive wild child incapable of handling the pressure of her position. It would have been interesting if the game ever capitalize on this. There were moments where Mileena questioned if Kitana did what she did out of genuine concern or she was making a play at the throne.
    end of spoilers

  11. #161
    Astonishing Member Psy-lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Hades
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    spoilers:

    I hope Kitana's gameplay at least is solid and fun to use, because story-wise, they made her freaking boring in this reboot.

    I don't necessarily want to be hard on MK1's portrayal of Kitana. I've seen much worse. It's not nearly as bad as how MK9 did her.
    And, yeah, it's a new timeline/reboot, so of course things will be different, and they're setting things up for the future, and all that. In context, it makes sense that Liu would set her up with peaceful life.

    BUT....

    The more I look at MK1's story and the re-imagining of certain characters--such as Kitana--I keep coming back to this quote from Zero Punctuation:
    "The interesting part of Jurassic Park the film was not the part where everything was going swimmingly."

    Awfully nice of Liu Kang to remove all the trauma & horror from Kitana's life, and yeah, it's wholesome she's so dedicated to Mileena & close with Sindel & her dad is Ermac now...

    But it's resulted in a very flat, boring take on the character.

    Kitana in MK1 has no drive. No initiative. She's purely reactive. She has no conflicts & no arc. She ends the story the exact same person. She learned nothing. Gained nothing. Didn't lose anything either, since Sindel lives in Ermac now with Jerrod.

    I'd argue this is an issue with MK1's story in general. Tanya, Havik, Quan Chi, Mileena, Ermac, Shao Kahn...they all feel watered down and diluted.
    I wonder if, after the response to how grim & nihilistic MK11's Aftermath was, they decided to go in the complete opposite direction, because honestly this story is toothless.

    I was willing to give the Scorpion/Sub-Zero swap a chance, but...yeah, this doesn't work for me, brother.
    I don't see Kuai Liang being Scorpion and Hanzo Hasashi becoming his & Smoke's kid side-kick as an improvement or intriguing change of pace. They just played musical chairs with the characters' names, and in the process sabotaged Hanzo and Noob Saibot.

    They set up all this potential intrigue and conflict in Kitana and Mileena's bios just to do f**k-all with them. Mileena's Tarkat disease is taken care of with ease. The alleged "whispers" that Kitana should rule instead of her never come up. So, she becomes Empress and everyone's happy. That was easy!

    I know--new timeline and things should be expected to be different. But it still needs to be interesting.

    Back to Kitana, in the lead-up to the game, I thought maybe this version of her growing up in relative peace would play into an arc. Like she would start out sheltered & soft and need to grow into the battle-hardened warrior the OG Kitana was in order to survive & protect her home and people.

    But...no. That doesn't really come up at all.

    In fact, the game pushes against it by having characters constantly assure Kitana how valuable she is to Mileena & how she'll be a great commander of Outworld's army.
    We're clearly supposed to regard her as an elite warrior.
    ...which, unfortunately, comes across a bit hollow when we see in story mode she loses pretty much every single fight she's involved with and fail to contribute anything of real value to the plot.

    Where does Kitana even go from here? There's no meat here. Leading Outworld's armies? Being Mileena's benign, bland sidekick? A ship with Raiden?
    Guh.

    Where does anyone go from here? Looking through all the endings and cliffhangers, literally the only sub-plot that actual intrigues me for the future is the stuff with Ashrah and Sareena.
    And knowing Netherealm Studios, that probably means both will disappear for another fifteen years.

    So, yeah...story-wise, I think this reboot is a dud. I'm not angry about it. MK9 made me angry. This is just disappointing.

    Sorry, Liu. Your timeline's boring. On the bright side, I hear the gameplay's fun. So there's that.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    To be fair, they'll probably give her an arc in the sequels. This game just isn't focused on Kitana. She's really only there because she's expected to be there (like in MKX).
    end of spoilers

  12. #162
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Next month im buying Mortal Kombat 12 for my Nintendo Switch Lite.

    Meanwhile, i was up all late last night trying to play King of the Ring in Mortal Kopmbat 11 with other players and jeez. there was this one guy that was winning nonstop as Scorpion and he had like 37 wins and no losses. i was the only person to not have a mic/headphone so I had to listen to him talik smack to the other players and me.

    He kept going overbohard with spears, teleporting and frikkin combos when he was playing as Scorpion the whole time.

    I also gave 0 respects the whole time and he started taliing smack to me when i did that

  13. #163
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    13,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    Next month im buying Mortal Kombat 12 for my Nintendo Switch Lite.
    Please don't. That version of the game is a dumpster fire

  14. #164
    Extraordinary Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,196

    Default

    Neat when you see custom cabs like these.

    Here is a mk1 version.


  15. #165
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    142

    Default

    well Im still going to buy the game for my Switch Lite next month.

    Plus Ed Boon just said recently that there will be a patch update to fix the graphics problem. So its not the end of the world blah blah

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •