Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Who agrees? Carol back as Ms. Marvel and Kamala with new original title

Now with the spoilers:
    death of Kamala
    end of spoilers, which everyone knows is not going to be permanent, I think now would be a good time to change each of their names in a move that I think would benefit them. We all know that spoilers:
    Kamala is going to come back and probably very shortly,
    end of spoilers but Carol doesn't know that. So she could take her original name back to spoilers:
    honor her, which makes more sense than doing it with Mar-Vell many many years after he died.
    end of spoilers And Kamala could spoilers:
    come back with a new original name
    end of spoilers, which I think would be very helpful to her as a character because there are a lot of critiques that her success is derivative. If she can have a unique name and be successful, that would prove that isn't the case if she could stand on her two feet and would likewise satisfy fans (like myself) who did not like Carol giving up the identity she started to be the fifth one taking on Mar-Vell's name. And I would still love to have Mar-Vell return somehow too. And the notion that she is keeping the DC character from using it is annoying and I wish each of them could go back to their original names. And I like the iconic Cockrum Warbird costume way more than the one she's had recently. So, that would be my first choice, but at least give her the name and domino mask. I would like her secret identity reinstated as rationale to have the mask, but she did still wear it after it was revealed. Still, I think secret identities becoming an afterthought in much of Marvel has been a mistake. And of course, I think the retcon that Carol is half Kree should go away. As it happened, I thought it would be to be in line with the movie, but it was just a bizarre and random retcon. But I think that was part of a weird way to remove Mar-Vell from her origin. Despite the fact that she is now using the codename he originated in 616.

Thoughts? Do you agree? If you do, what would you recommend Kamala's hero name be?
    Last edited by KurtW95; 05-18-2023 at 10:01 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I like Kamala as Ms. Marvel. If they ever do change it, I would prefer something tiny like changing it to Miss Marvel.

Ultimate Member

Nope.

Terrible idea. I think Carol has been Captain Marvel long enough at this point.

Kamala has also carved out a niche for herself.

No point in regression. Backwards never, forward ever.

The notion that its character progression to have a chapter get rid of an original identity to take on one of another character is absurd. Rather, it is devaluing the characters they were. Seeing it as a promotion to give up your own unique identity in favor of joining a long line of replacements.

The only reason to change Kamala's codename would be if Carol died, in which case Kamala might take the Captain Marvel name, for the same reason as she chose Ms. Marvel in the first place. She's been shown in a couple of futures using the name.

They certainly wouldn't be changing either Kamala or Carol's codenames as long as they're using their current ones in the MCU.

And yeah, good point Kurt. Dick Grayson for example has been Batman a couple of times, but eventually reverted to Nightwing. Nightwing is his exclusive identity, reverting to Robin, now used by two other guys, would be a regression, and permanently being Batman would strip him of his unique identity.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 05-19-2023 at 01:48 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I hate it.

I would accept Monica as Captain Marvel again, but I don’t want Carol back as Ms Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I hate it.

I would accept Monica as Captain Marvel again, but I don’t want Carol back as Ms Marvel.
    Why not?? It was her first name and she originated it.

She also originated Warbird - which has also been taken by someone else (in Busiek's The Marvels) - and Binary. If Carol ever changes her codename again, Binary makes the most sense. But I don't see it happening as long as she's being used on the big screen.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

If that reason is for nostalgia then no.

Let characters progress. Ms Marvel is an outdated name for Carol Danvers, Captain Marvel is a descent upgrade. If for whatever reason she can't use that name (like say the pendulum swinging in Billy Batson's favor again) then the name Warbird or Binary should suffice.

This type of thinking is what plunged DC into the hole it currently is in since the Nu52 reboot and even 2 years after Didio is gone they've barely begun to crawl out of it. Work with what you have rather that pine for an era that only ever existed in your imagination.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Now with the spoilers:
    death of Kamala
    end of spoilers, which everyone knows is not going to be permanent, I think now would be a good time to change each of their names in a move that I think would benefit them. We all know that spoilers:
    Kamala is going to come back and probably very shortly,
    end of spoilers but Carol doesn't know that. So she could take her original name back to spoilers:
    honor her, which makes more sense than doing it with Mar-Vell many many years after he died.
    end of spoilers And Kamala could spoilers:
    come back with a new original name
    end of spoilers, which I think would be very helpful to her as a character because there are a lot of critiques that her success is derivative. If she can have a unique name and be successful, that would prove that isn't the case if she could stand on her two feet and would likewise satisfy fans (like myself) who did not like Carol giving up the identity she started to be the fifth one taking on Mar-Vell's name. And I would still love to have Mar-Vell return somehow too. And the notion that she is keeping the DC character from using it is annoying and I wish each of them could go back to their original names. And I like the iconic Cockrum Warbird costume way more than the one she's had recently. So, that would be my first choice, but at least give her the name and domino mask. I would like her secret identity reinstated as rationale to have the mask, but she did still wear it after it was revealed. Still, I think secret identities becoming an afterthought in much of Marvel has been a mistake. And of course, I think the retcon that Carol is half Kree should go away. As it happened, I thought it would be to be in line with the movie, but it was just a bizarre and random retcon. But I think that was part of a weird way to remove Mar-Vell from her origin. Despite the fact that she is now using the codename he originated in 616.

Thoughts? Do you agree? If you do, what would you recommend Kamala's hero name be?
    I know at least 2 former comic fans who gave it up because original Mar-Vell died. Even the various stories with his "return" won't pull them back.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I'm all for it, she can even start wearing the black costume again.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Absolutely not. Carol going back to Ms. Marvel would be a regression, and at this point both characters are cemented in pop culture as Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel, respectively.

Astonishing Member

Carol made her first appearance as a supporting character for the original Captain Marvel. It makes sense for her to continue his legacy.

Invincible Member

There's no reason Marvel would change Kamala's superhero name now...she's one of their most popular teen heroes in the comics and now is gaining popularity among the general public. What would be the point of changing her name right as the blockbuster movie comes out?

I don't need Carol to be Ms. Marvel again but it would be nice if somebody else started using the Dave Cockrum suit.