Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Who agrees? Carol back as Ms. Marvel and Kamala with new original title

Now with the spoilers:
    death of Kamala
    end of spoilers, which everyone knows is not going to be permanent, I think now would be a good time to change each of their names in a move that I think would benefit them. We all know that spoilers:
    Kamala is going to come back and probably very shortly,
    end of spoilers but Carol doesn't know that. So she could take her original name back to spoilers:
    honor her, which makes more sense than doing it with Mar-Vell many many years after he died.
    end of spoilers And Kamala could spoilers:
    come back with a new original name
    end of spoilers, which I think would be very helpful to her as a character because there are a lot of critiques that her success is derivative. If she can have a unique name and be successful, that would prove that isn't the case if she could stand on her two feet and would likewise satisfy fans (like myself) who did not like Carol giving up the identity she started to be the fifth one taking on Mar-Vell's name. And I would still love to have Mar-Vell return somehow too. And the notion that she is keeping the DC character from using it is annoying and I wish each of them could go back to their original names. And I like the iconic Cockrum Warbird costume way more than the one she's had recently. So, that would be my first choice, but at least give her the name and domino mask. I would like her secret identity reinstated as rationale to have the mask, but she did still wear it after it was revealed. Still, I think secret identities becoming an afterthought in much of Marvel has been a mistake. And of course, I think the retcon that Carol is half Kree should go away. As it happened, I thought it would be to be in line with the movie, but it was just a bizarre and random retcon. But I think that was part of a weird way to remove Mar-Vell from her origin. Despite the fact that she is now using the codename he originated in 616.

Thoughts? Do you agree? If you do, what would you recommend Kamala's hero name be?
    Last edited by KurtW95; 05-18-2023 at 10:01 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I like Kamala as Ms. Marvel. If they ever do change it, I would prefer something tiny like changing it to Miss Marvel.

Ultimate Member

Nope.

Terrible idea. I think Carol has been Captain Marvel long enough at this point.

Kamala has also carved out a niche for herself.

No point in regression. Backwards never, forward ever.

The notion that its character progression to have a chapter get rid of an original identity to take on one of another character is absurd. Rather, it is devaluing the characters they were. Seeing it as a promotion to give up your own unique identity in favor of joining a long line of replacements.

The only reason to change Kamala's codename would be if Carol died, in which case Kamala might take the Captain Marvel name, for the same reason as she chose Ms. Marvel in the first place. She's been shown in a couple of futures using the name.

They certainly wouldn't be changing either Kamala or Carol's codenames as long as they're using their current ones in the MCU.

And yeah, good point Kurt. Dick Grayson for example has been Batman a couple of times, but eventually reverted to Nightwing. Nightwing is his exclusive identity, reverting to Robin, now used by two other guys, would be a regression, and permanently being Batman would strip him of his unique identity.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 05-19-2023 at 01:48 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I hate it.

I would accept Monica as Captain Marvel again, but I don’t want Carol back as Ms Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Her joining the X-Men would've been the perfect opportunity to give her a new codename. I mean that actually happened with Carol as Binary. I'm not saying that's the name that she should've taken. But it would've been poetic and respectful of her character to have her follow in Carol's footsteps like that and giving Carol back the codename she started with originally.
    No, it would've been stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They certainly wouldn't be changing either Kamala or Carol's codenames as long as they're using their current ones in the MCU.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

The notion that its character progression to have a chapter get rid of an original identity to take on one of another character is absurd. Rather, it is devaluing the characters they were. Seeing it as a promotion to give up your own unique identity in favor of joining a long line of replacements.
    Except Mar-Vell is like dead-dead and Carol as Captain Marvel pretty much solidified at this point.
    Changing it back literally does nothing but disruption.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Except Mar-Vell is like dead-dead and Carol as Captain Marvel pretty much solidified at this point.
    Changing it back literally does nothing but disruption.
    Exactly.

Mar-vell as Captain Marvel was alive for about 15 years (give or take a year or two, I'm not entirely sure).

Carol Danvers has been Captain Marvel for about 11 years or so now?

Very soon, she'd have used the name longer than Mar-vell was even alive. At this point, it just doesn't make sense to have Carol go back to Ms. Marvel because of a long-dead character who's greatest claim to fame was his death?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Nope.

^^^Thats about right.

Absolutely no reason to strip Carol of her rank, and Kamala is the current Ms. Marvel, ‘nuff said.

Extraordinary Member

Nope.

I have no interest in any characters changing names, if they do and it is cool then whatever, hopefully it makes a good story. But... I love when this 'regression' thing gets thrown around like some sort of truth. This is not an attack just an amusing (to myself) thought, but I find the 'forward' part never really applies and people just want things to be stuck the way they are now. The contradiction of liking a change but not liking change.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I have no interest in any characters changing names, if they do and it is cool then whatever, hopefully it makes a good story. But... I love when this 'regression' thing gets thrown around like some sort of truth. This is not an attack just an amusing (to myself) thought, but I find the 'forward' part never really applies and people just want things to be stuck the way they are now. The contradiction of liking a change but not liking change.
    Broadly speaking, comics are about the illusion of change, more to that, the illusion of progression.

Comics have made strides and permanent changes have been made before like the silver age almost entirely wiping off golden age and the creation of newer characters to replace the old ones.

That being said, when such changes have been made and people have moved forward, I don't see the reason to always "go back to the way things were" for no real reason.

Acknowledging progress and wanting to continue in that vein (which maintaining Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel is) is completely opposite to wanting to her to go back to her former identity. Now, if Marvel wants Carol to change to a completely new identity like Captain Cosmos with a cool new status or powerset or something, then I don't think folks would have too much of a problem with that. However, suggesting she go back to Ms. Marvel for no real reason beyond nostalgia doesn't really work for a lot of people, hence some people (at least on these boards) aren't open to the idea.

Nope.

You saved me some typing. I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    You saved me some typing. I agree 100%
    Clearly T'Challa should become Daredevil and never be BP again. As he already filled in there and it would progress his character.

Clearly T'Challa should become Daredevil and never be BP again. As he already filled in there and it would progress his character.
    Didn't actually read that story I am guessing? Nice try though.