Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowedeyes View Post
    No one knows how well a completely different movie using different story elements would have done, so I don't buy anyone saying that a Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers) movie with more "comic accurate" elements would have done better, because there is way to much conjecture to accurately predict that.
    Exactly. It's nonsensical to claim something like that as though it's an objective fact. Especially when the comics themselves aren't as successful as the film in question.

Extraordinary Member

This is hilarious. Carol is cemented now in the public eye and general audience as Captain Marvel. Marvel will never backtrack from that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    No.
    It's PURE BS because what is a legit reason to take that title from her?

Just to bring back the male version because some folks are offended by Carol Danvers?

Change her name-Marvel is NOT going to get rid of her to pander to edgelords and gators.

It's not going to remove her from Avengers.

It's not going to STOP her from getting solos.

It's not going to STOP anything Marvel does with her.

Put a male in that role and guess what?

NOBODY including those screaming for it will support the book.

Marvel is NOT interested in fighting some uphill battle for that guy to even SNIFF where Carol is.

And he will be forever known as the guy that got Carol removed. So you will have a faction that will NOT bother with him.

Thus defeating the purpose.

All depends, Can Rogue take her powers again and ensure she never gets them back? But either way, Kamala is Ms Marvel now and should stay that way. And if anyone is going to take over the name Captain Marvel, it should ONLY be Monica...

Genis is back, and he should be allowed to be Captain Marvel too.

If everybody can be Captain America or Spider-Man at the same time now, why would there be only one Captain Marvel?
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post

If everybody can be Captain America or Spider-Man at the same time now, why would there be only one Captain Marvel?
    Valid point...Maybe Genis can Be Marvelous Captain...

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Valid point...Maybe Genis can Be Marvelous Captain...
    If written by Peter David, Rick Jones should convince Genis that he’s superior as Private(s) Marvel!
    #OwahTagooSiam!
    Last edited by Thirteen; 05-23-2023 at 03:15 PM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

He is. His latest book was called Genis-Vell: Captain Marvel. He and Carol are sharing the name, just like Peter and Miles, and Steve and Sam.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So, what about Carol goes back to the leotard and Genis wears one too, and they're both Captain Marvel? Everybody's happy.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Exactly. It's nonsensical to claim something like that as though it's an objective fact. Especially when the comics themselves aren't as successful as the film in question.
    The film itself was ridiculously successful, is it not one of the highest grossing films of all time? Am I missing something?
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He is. His latest book was called Genis-Vell: Captain Marvel. He and Carol are sharing the name, just like Peter and Miles, and Steve and Sam.
    This makes me wonder they didn't do this much earlier with Monica
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowedeyes View Post
    No one knows how well a completely different movie using different story elements would have done, so I don't buy anyone saying that a Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers) movie with more "comic accurate" elements would have done better, because there is way to much conjecture to accurately predict that.
    I think we can confidently say that it would have done much worse.

In comics, Carol doesn't have any agency in her own origin story. She's a rare example of positive collaterial damage, gaining powers because she was lucky enough to be rescued by Mar-Vell.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

For those who want her to go back to how she was before, if you had to pick only one option, would it be:
    *she gets the Ms Marvel name back, but keeps the current costume
    *she keeps the Captain Marvel name, but goes back to her Ms Marvel costume

Same for those who want her to stay like she is now: what would be for you the worst of the two options?
    I loved Carol as Ms. Marvel. Collected her entire first series and followed her in the Avengers. Hated Rogue with a passion for stealing Carol's powers, but then fell in love all over again with Carol when she became Binary -- and at that time, the only woman in the Marvel Universe with legit Class 100 strength and cosmic powers that could easily challenge the likes of Thor, Silver Surfer and others in the elite class, if written to her true power levels.

Sorry for the preamble, but to answer your question, I'd be ok with her reclaiming the Ms. Marvel name with the current costume, if I had to choose between those two choices. If a third option was possible, I'd be ok with her being Ms. Marvel again with a new costume and not necessarily one that looks like any of her previous costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    The film itself was ridiculously successful, is it not one of the highest grossing films of all time? Am I missing something?
    Yes it was extremely successful, which is my point.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    This is hilarious. Carol is cemented now in the public eye and general audience as Captain Marvel. Marvel will never backtrack from that.
    If a better gimmick comes along. Neither Marvel nor the public had any difficulty moving Sam Wilson from being Falcon to Captain America.