Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

There's no reason to change these characters beyond nostalgia.

This is my personal opinion, but nostalgia can easily become a poison. It's this poison that leads to creators bending over backwards to cater to guys that remember how "good" things were when Peter Parker was single or how Barry Allen was the Flash and he must be "the only Flash", decades of successful storytelling be damned. American superhero comics have gotten weird because they are now stuck in a loop, the illusion of change can only go on for so long without permanent consequences. There's no other storytelling medium that features largely unbroken storytelling like American superhero comics, the older characters are almost at 100 years of unbroken stories (the so-called reboots almost always bring back pre-reboot elements and nothing ultimately changes) and the cracks are getting harder to fill with the "illusion of change". The medium has lasted this long because there were points in time when permanent changes were made (like how silver age characters were replaced without looking back, stuff like All-New X-men etc), constantly going back to how things were isn't helping the industry or its fans. Even as an individual, constantly looking back to how good things were without fully embracing where one is in life, how the world around one has changed and how to move forward is a recipe for misery. If something or (or even someone we love) has changed too much, you have to consider how you're going to approach them or even let them go. Again, these are just my views though.

There's nothing wrong for liking Carol as Ms Marvel but how does her going back to Ms Marvel improve her current standing? Kamala is a fairly successful character that people have seen on tv, games and very soon a movie, why change the character's identity?

Because there are people who are still offended Carol no longer wears an unnecessarily sexualized costume.

Yeah, no. That ship’s sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Absolutely not. Carol going back to Ms. Marvel would be a regression, and at this point both characters are cemented in pop culture as Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel, respectively.
    ((Looks at pop culture))

I'm not seeing them in the cement. I do see their faces on some stickers on the wall over there. So...y'know you can just put some stickers over them.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    ((Looks at pop culture))

I'm not seeing them in the cement. I do see their faces on some stickers on the wall over there. So...y'know you can just put some stickers over them.
    You don't see how a billion dollar grossing movie called Captain Marvel (+ Avengers Endgame, + the Ms. Marvel show) made a longer-lasting impression with the general public than some 50 year old comics nobody but nerds have read?

Astonishing Member

Are people that desperate for I’ll fitting swuimsuits?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Nope.

Terrible idea. I think Carol has been Captain Marvel long enough at this point.

Kamala has also carved out a niche for herself.

No point in regression. Backwards never, forward ever.
    ^^^Thats about right.

Absolutely no reason to strip Carol of her rank, and Kamala is the current Ms. Marvel, ‘nuff said.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Since they refused to use Marvel Woman for Jean Grey in the 616, I could see someone take up that title, and the movie and merchandising is going to have "THE MARVELS" written all over it. So someone of the 3 should get a new "Marvel" codename. They could even go for "the Marvel". Which after Kid Arachnid and Ghost Spider, I could see happening.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    There's no reason Marvel would change Kamala's superhero name now...she's one of their most popular teen heroes in the comics and now is gaining popularity among the general public. What would be the point of changing her name right as the blockbuster movie comes out?
    Why should Marvel kill her off? But here we are.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    The notion that its character progression to have a chapter get rid of an original identity to take on one of another character is absurd. Rather, it is devaluing the characters they were. Seeing it as a promotion to give up your own unique identity in favor of joining a long line of replacements.
    Except Mar-Vell is like dead-dead and Carol as Captain Marvel pretty much solidified at this point.
    Changing it back literally does nothing but disruption.

I hate Carol as Captain Marvel. She was much cooler as Ms. Marvel. She owned that title and she should go back to it.

Make Kamala the new Marvel Girl or Ms. Fantastic.

Make Genis-Vell Captain Marvel.

Make Carol Ms. Marvel.

Make Monica Sceptre

Make Sharon Ventura Marvel Woman
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Sceptre? Is that autocorrect at play, and you meant Spectrum?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't need Carol to be Ms. Marvel again but it would be nice if somebody else started using the Dave Cockrum suit.
    Yeah, Ultra Girl would fit the bill, Carol offered her one of her old costumes before (the original one), but Norman Osborn confiscated it for Karla Sofen to wear as the Ms. Marvel of the Dark Avengers. Just have Suzy show up with longer hair (she always had a bob, but she's not appeared in over a decade, so a change of hairstyle wouldn't be a surprise and it's needed for her to look the part), Carol reunites with her and offers her one of her old costumes again, and there you go, an active character who looks like the 80s and 2000s Ms. Marvel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    You don't see how a billion dollar grossing movie called Captain Marvel (+ Avengers Endgame, + the Ms. Marvel show) made a longer-lasting impression with the general public than some 50 year old comics nobody but nerds have read?
    One billion dollar movie that came almost at the end of and tied into one the most successful movie franchises of all time and a low rated streaming show?

No, no I don't.

There seems to be this "speak it into existence" strategy with Captain Marvel, that if you keep saying the character is popular and keep up the non-stop pop culture astroturfing eventually it's going to happen.

It's kind of It's own religion at this point.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 05-19-2023 at 11:11 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Except Mar-Vell is like dead-dead and Carol as Captain Marvel pretty much solidified at this point.
    Changing it back literally does nothing but disruption.
    Exactly.

Mar-vell as Captain Marvel was alive for about 15 years (give or take a year or two, I'm not entirely sure).

Carol Danvers has been Captain Marvel for about 11 years or so now?

Very soon, she'd have used the name longer than Mar-vell was even alive. At this point, it just doesn't make sense to have Carol go back to Ms. Marvel because of a long-dead character who's greatest claim to fame was his death?

Astonishing Member

I prefer the current status quo. However will Marvel eventually get rid of 'Ms.' to not offend everyone? Is it okay to let Kamala stay a Ms. in this day and age?