Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    What is more successful than a BILLION DOLLAR GROSSING SOLO FILM? If Captain America was so successful, why did his sequels become group outings?
    It should not have been. Marvel Studios wanted to adapt Civil War and used Steve's movie to do it. It was going to introduce Black Panther. And then Disney got the Spider-Man license and made room to introduce him too. But it did all take away from being a Captain America movie. And I consider the worst in the character's trilogy. But it was pretty much Avengers 2.5. The Marvels is not adapting any specific storyline. It was changed because they fear failure. The first one did decently because the MCU built up good will from the first bunch of films, but the recent installments have been faltering and that good will is wearing off.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Nope.

Terrible idea. I think Carol has been Captain Marvel long enough at this point.

Kamala has also carved out a niche for herself.

No point in regression. Backwards never, forward ever.
    You saved me some typing. I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    It should not have been. Marvel Studios wanted to adapt Civil War and used Steve's movie to do it. It was going to introduce Black Panther. And then Disney got the Spider-Man license and made room to introduce him too. But it did all take away from being a Captain America movie. And I consider the worst in the character's trilogy. But it was pretty much Avengers 2.5. The Marvels is not adapting any specific storyline. It was changed because they fear failure. The first one did decently because the MCU built up good will from the first bunch of films, but the recent installments have been faltering and that good will is wearing off.
    Oh, is that what they told you?

Pleasantly surprised by the amount of common sense in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    You saved me some typing. I agree 100%
    Clearly T'Challa should become Daredevil and never be BP again. As he already filled in there and it would progress his character.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Pleasantly surprised by the amount of common sense in this thread.
    Because we can all see through the NONSENSE in doing it.

Who is being pandered to? The guys who think Cap Marvel needs to be a GUY yet when he WAS guess who didn't support the book?

Dick Grayson for example has been Batman a couple of times, but eventually reverted to Nightwing. Nightwing is his exclusive identity, reverting to Robin, now used by two other guys, would be a regression, and permanently being Batman would strip him of his unique identity.
    Here is the MAJOR difference with Nightwing-how many books did he appear in leading up to his own title?

He had constant usage that also included merchandise.

There were no long gaps between stories with him as Nightwing.

What book is Kamala more than Carol going to appear in with ZERO gaps between her appearances?

Clearly T'Challa should become Daredevil and never be BP again. As he already filled in there and it would progress his character.
    What book was this where T'Challa dressed as Daredevil???? Not setup shop in Hell's Kitchen and still ran around as Black Panther.

That's what I thought nice try.

We are not going back in time to make certain parts of the fandom who always complain comfortable. Because it tends to boil down to seeing books from their childhood versus actually READING those books.

Should we make Tempest Aqualad again? And get rid of the current one since so many are uncomfortable with him? A title Garth has NOT gone by in over 20 years.
    Should we get rid of Jaime Reyes???? The guy who has more solo issues than Dan Garrett and Ted Kord and has a movie?
    How about Miles?? And all those other Spider folks?

We have seen what going back in the past has done for the franchise Green Lantern.

Different cases are different cases. No one is saying the problem is that Captain Marvel has to be a guy. While I think Mar-Vell should be brought back and have the name and DC should use it again, it isn't because they are men that I oppose Carol using the name. Monica Rambeau using the name make more sense than Carol. I think Monica is better off with her own name, but so long as Mar-Vell is gone, but if anyone has to use the name it should be his cloned kids of her. People seem to be ignoring one of the important parts of what I'm arguing. Carol originated the name Ms. Marvel. If you want to have multiple people using the name, I am not a fan of doing that, but we have had other Spider-Women and Ant-Men and Blue Beetle and Flash in the DC Universe. But there is no problem with the name Ms. Marvel and there is no good reason why Carol should use Captain Marvel instead of the name she started with. Why would anyone consider it a promotion? As it devalues who she used to be as it does with Falcon.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Didn't actually read that story I am guessing? Nice try though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Didn't actually read that story I am guessing? Nice try though.
    I never said he ever became Daredevil.

Boy, nothing is more enjoyable than threads where somebody has drank their own Kool-Aid and spends the rest of the time trying to convince others why they should too.

The Ms. Marvel name came about in a time when there was already a Captain Marvel in existence and when the term "Ms." was being used to promote feminism, coming a few years after the magazine of the same name founded by Gloria Steinham debuted. In the years since, the term "Ms." has become a little archaic as the concepts of feminism itself have changed. Conversely, Carol Danvers has changed, going from love interest to "female version of male hero" to more flinty military type (coming off of years of being an amnesic victim and then alcoholic). The title "Ms." just doesn't apply to her anymore, not in the manner it was originally intended nor as a representation of who Carol is as a character. And while the Binary and Warbird titles had varying degrees of success, as well as others taking up the mantle Captain Marvel, ultimately Carol's organic ties back to the original Mar-Vell's run (versus an arbitrary reassigning of the name or a retconned offspring picking it up) as well as what a current view of feminism looks like means that Captain Marvel is the perfect name for her, because it is presenting her as an full-on equal to the originator, versus an albeit strong-willed second-tier version.

Meanwhile, Ms. Marvel is still a trademarked name for Marvel to use and the "Ms." title works better for a younger woman these days, so giving it to Kamala is fine.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go to the DC boards and spend five pages explaining to people why Dick Grayson should be Robin again.

I wouldn't mind if she gave up the Captain title but it's also not something I'd push for. I wouldn't see the point in it frankly. A name change would not be enough to revert modern Carol back to the old version that some fans miss. She's simply changed too much.

What I would push for is a return to her old red, black, and gold color scheme with an eye mask, because those costumes were infinitely cooler than the blue suit. EMH Carol was peak character design.

You can still jerk off to the all the old Frank Cho Ms Marvel art, you know. If you search for a bit you could find some art of her as Captain that you might enjoy too.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Since they refused to use Marvel Woman for Jean Grey in the 616, I could see someone take up that title, and the movie and merchandising is going to have "THE MARVELS" written all over it. So someone of the 3 should get a new "Marvel" codename. They could even go for "the Marvel". Which after Kid Arachnid and Ghost Spider, I could see happening.

Why should Marvel kill her off? But here we are.
    She hasn't been killed off...it's a storytelling/marketing stunt.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I prefer the current status quo. However will Marvel eventually get rid of 'Ms.' to not offend everyone? Is it okay to let Kamala stay a Ms. in this day and age?
    No one is offended by the term "Ms" in this day and age.

"Ms" is not offensive or anything, but it's not particularly empowering and might sound condescending especially on older women. Kamala is a teenager/young adult and a more lighthearted character in general, so it fits her more.

Case in point: Her name on the MCU coming from her dad calling her "my little ms marvel".