Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    And I think telling prospective new readers that things will always be reset to the more painful starting point again is a turn off for young fans as much as old ones - at least whenever its not a full reboot each time. There's a reasons movies and TV show adaptations always move forward until a reboot; people don't mind starting again, as log as they eventually get a catharsis at some point, and don't have that catharsis ripped away for minimal return.
    Well, ultimately I think 616 is irreparably broken.

DC may screw the pooch each time it tries to event its way into a new timeline, but they max out at less than 30 years of lore at a time they have to pretend makes sense. Some of the Marvel Cold War villains don't make a ton of sense anymore . . . and I don't know that too many of them have been adjusted for the time shift.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Well, ultimately I think 616 is irreparably broken.

DC may screw the pooch each time it tries to event its way into a new timeline, but they max out at less than 30 years of lore at a time they have to pretend makes sense. Some of the Marvel Cold War villains don't make a ton of sense anymore . . . and I don't know that too many of them have been adjusted for the time shift.
    I think Mark Millar tried something like that in Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1-12 by revealing (or retconning) as part of his saga that a lot of the early supervillains of the Marvel Universe were actually the result of a consortium of corrupt corporate executives and government officials equipping and enhancing operatives and then sending them out in garish costumes to keep the then-nascent superhero population occupied with just keeping the world and public safe and in one piece, as opposed to attempting greater societal change or reform with their powers and resources that could upend the status quo that kept those corrupt corporate executives and government officials wealthy and powerful.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

When I was growing up, I consumed a lot of media with characters much older than me. I don't see why Spider-Man editorial is so scared of Peter being seen as older than 20.

Better people than me have talked about the issue with killing off Kamala.

Incredible Member

My thing is that with trying to be young well he’s now closing in on 30 despite what they claim. A lot of this crap makes sense with teenagers not a guy pushing 30. You look like a douche

No matter how much editorial may not like it...the fact is that Peter has aged. In continuity he would've been Spider-Man for at least 10-15 years. Writing him as a teenager in a 30 year old man's body doesn't make him "young"...it makes him pathetic. I'm actually surprised they haven't pulled the trigger...and killed 616 Peter and replaced him with a teenage doppelganger from another timeline yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    No matter how much editorial may not like it...the fact is that Peter has aged. In continuity he would've been Spider-Man for at least 10-15 years. Writing him as a teenager in a 30 year old man's body doesn't make him "young"...it makes him pathetic. I'm actually surprised they haven't pulled the trigger...and killed 616 Peter and replaced him with a teenage doppelganger from another timeline yet.
    As Linkara put it in his takedown of One More Day all those years back, albeit paraphrased: "If you think Spider-Man worked so much better when he was a teenager in high school . . . why not just put him back there?"

It's not like Mephisto was able to erase the marriage from the real world comic books or they rewrote and reissued the old comics without the marriage. So to real world readers Peter isn't someone who has always been single: he's someone who used to be married.
    Nothing says young like being a divorcee. Even being a divorcee who doesn't know they're a divorcee.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think Mark Millar tried something like that in Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1-12 by revealing (or retconning) as part of his saga that a lot of the early supervillains of the Marvel Universe were actually the result of a consortium of corrupt corporate executives and government officials equipping and enhancing operatives and then sending them out in garish costumes to keep the then-nascent superhero population occupied with just keeping the world and public safe and in one piece, as opposed to attempting greater societal change or reform with their powers and resources that could upend the status quo that kept those corrupt corporate executives and government officials wealthy and powerful.
    that makes a lot of sense honestly... tell the public what you want them to believe then give them a paper tiger to distract them....

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    It's not like Mephisto was able to erase the marriage from the real world comic books or they rewrote and reissued the old comics without the marriage. So to real world readers Peter isn't someone who has always been single: he's someone who used to be married.
    Nothing says young like being a divorcee. Even being a divorcee who doesn't know they're a divorcee.
    Ironically, Quesada went with the devil deal because he thought a divorce WOULD make him appear “too old”. So, again, he went with a DEAL WITH THE DEVIL.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Ironically, Quesada went with the devil deal because he thought a divorce WOULD make him appear “too old”. So, again, he went with a DEAL WITH THE DEVIL.
    Out-of-universe.... Teh deal ages Pete more than having grandkids could ever age him!

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Forget the deal, Harry and Liz's kid is still around and is closer to a teenager now. That itself is enough to age Peter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    As Linkara put it in his takedown of One More Day all those years back, albeit paraphrased: "If you think Spider-Man worked so much better when he was a teenager in high school . . . why not just put him back there?"
    Because Marvel Comics has a shared universe and a long-running continuity, and they don't want to abandon either.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Because Marvel Comics has a shared universe and a long-running continuity, and they don't want to abandon either.
    So you could say they don't want to cure cancer, they want to turn people into dinosaurs.

Astonishing Member

Precisely why shared universes are dumb

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    Ha, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    that makes a lot of sense honestly... tell the public what you want them to believe then give them a paper tiger to distract them....
    Uh-huh.

So they'll just settle for making him "emotionally 15," then?