Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Storm 1 Preview

Good issue but I was very distracted because back then, Storm did not use contractions! That was always one of her things… she didn’t start using them until a few issues into the first X-Treme X-Men…

So seeing her use them in a past story just irked me..

Sorry but that bugs me ALMOST as much as when artist draw Spiral with four fingers and a thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    The art is not fantastic.
    Agreed on the art being underwhelming. Would have been nice to bring back Paul Smith for some period accuracy or even pushed the chronology a bit and gotten John Romita Jr to sign on (unless he's DC Exclusive again). Perhaps Nocenti was a big ticket creative so they had to balance with a lower profile artist.

Last edited by Thirteen; 05-25-2023 at 09:41 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Storm #1 was Very Good. I loved it. 8/10

I think Ann did a good job with portraying Storm's Internal Struggle and how it's affecting her powers and her friends around her. I love the Drama. The only thing that made me cringe is a little bit of the dialogue some characters were saying that made me go "Ew". But, besides that it was great.

The New Love Interest seems promising. They actually have some thing in common, which is cute. I wouldn't mind this relationship coming back. The Villain is pretty interesting already and shows lot's of promise. I think it will be revealed Blowback is just a manifestation of Storm's anger or something close to it.

Anyway, I Loved it. 8/10. :-)
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

This was a surprising and fantastic read. Great classic feel and wonderful work with Storm.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I thought this was an amazing first issue. We don't get this kind of character-driven stories all that often these days and Ann Nocenti's prose is deliciously... I was gonna say "old-school" but it's more of a timeless style really, in a different way from Claremont's but still very true to the characters.

Her handle of Storm, Rogue and Shadowcat especially is superb - the art looked pretty rough compared to Kotian's Gambit but still worked for me. I especially like his cute facial expressions, he's just still very rough around the edges but with ample room to refine.

The art is so Romita-like.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Any comic when Logan describes Kurt as gorgeous, is getting my vote… (yeah, yeah, I know he’s joking, let me have my fun).

IMG_3399.jpg

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Oh, and random women wanting to chat him up…
    IMG_3400.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I thought this was an amazing first issue. We don't get this kind of character-driven stories all that often these days and Ann Nocenti's prose is deliciously... I was gonna say "old-school" but it's more of a timeless style really, in a different way from Claremont's but still very true to the characters.

Her handle of Storm, Rogue and Shadowcat especially is superb - the art looked pretty rough compared to Kotian's Gambit but still worked for me. I especially like his cute facial expressions, he's just still very rough around the edges but with ample room to refine.
    I actually thought that her writing is way less dated than Claremont, tbh. Maybe because I don't know her tropes.

I didn't recognize Kotian's art. It ranged from passable to downright ugly and unrecognizable. Too bad, I loved him on Gambit.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I actually thought that her writing is way less dated than Claremont, tbh. Maybe because I don't know her tropes.

I didn't recognize Kotian's art. It ranged from passable to downright ugly and unrecognizable. Too bad, I loved him on Gambit.
    I don't think there's a writer who has as many tropes as Claremont LOL. You could actually tell he wrote a comicbook without looking at the credits just because of the way characters speak, captions are written and probably some of the content as well. A blessing to some, a curse to others.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Oh, and random women wanting to chat him up…
    IMG_3400.jpg
    I thought this was so cute. And I was mad that Kurt didn't take her up on her offer. But I FORGOT Kurt had a Girlfriend. ugh!!!
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Can't wait to get this!

New short interview with Ann Nocenti:
    https://www.comicsxf.com/2023/05/26/...written-rogue/

Burt: We see Storm as strategic team leader (much like Cyclops), but also Storm as self-searching adult who needs some time to herself, as nobody’s goddess and nobody’s surrogate mom. How do those roles interact? Can Storm be both?

Nocenti: Part of what I tried to explore in this series is all the many Storms — we play with her past as a thief, and that skillset comes into play, with how it felt for her to be worshipped as a goddess (both the good and the bad of that) with her sorceress ancestry, and of course her mastery over the elements...

Interested in seeing how Nocenti references her sorceress ancestry.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Oh and another interview with preview pages of issue #2 and the cover for issue #5.

'Storm' Writer Ann Nocenti Unleashes Ororo's Rebellious Side
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...view-breakdown

Storm #5 cover by Alan Davis.