Default Wonder Woman Elevator Pitch

For those who don't know, the proverbial 'elevator pitch' is when you try to get across (or, more accurately, sell) an idea or concept in 30 seconds. In entertainment, it usually means distilling your idea into its most basic, easy-to-sell form. "My story is x meets y."
    For example, the movie Speed can and has been summed up as "Die Hard on a bus." I've heard the film Event Horizon was pitched as "The Shining...in SPAAACE!"

There have been attempts to distill Wonder Woman into an elevator pitch. Some fair, others...not so much.
    "Superman with boobs."
    "What if Xena was Superman?"
    "Kratos, but a woman."

So I was curious, if you had to sell Wonder Woman as an idea with an elevator pitch, how would you do it? What's the simplest way to get across what she is and represents?

I have my own ideas, but I'd be interested to see other ideas before I offer mine.

I'm not gonna go by what it is, but what it should be

As an ACTION story:
    Picture any 70s rock album cover with their sci-fi fantasy paintings. The main hero is an epic female adventurer that upends civilizations and defies fantastical entities while transforming everyone she meets into a cooler person

Thematically:
    A bunch of scarred queer warriors built an utopia and raised a child with all the love and power, and she never had to go through any of the insecurities a woman ever faced over here.

And she left paradise because she wanted a challenge and experiences. She came here to destroy all the illusions of power and create a new history.

Born from clay, Diana is the Princess of an island paradise of amazing Amazons who discovering the worlds suffering, decide to send one of their own to the outside world to work to make it a paradise equal to their island home as 'Wonder Woman' a duty which Diana has sworn to achieve.

Trying my hand at the All-Star Superman short, laconic, origin summary;

"Hidden paradise. Mother's love. Forbidden man. Defiant daughter"

"Wonder Woman".

Superheroics meets Greek-Roman Myth. Wonder Woman represents Truth and Compassion above all else.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

If I were to sum up Wonder Woman in an elevator pitch, it'd be: "If a Disney Princess was a Shonen protagonist."

An all-loving, wide-eyed, somewhat sheltered Princess from a magical land who wants to see the world and accomplish great things and be the best she can be, even though her mother wants her to just stay put, until she meets a boy and goes on a great adventure making friends, meeting rivals, fighting evil, and saving the world.

Or..."What if The Little Mermaid was Dragon Ball Z?"

Yeah I can rock with that. Feels in character. To me her being a princess is really just aesthetic so I rarely mention it.

And while her being all-loving is apt, to me it's even more relevant that she is "Loved By All".

Diana is the Idol of the Amazons. The center of what this utopia brings to them. She reflects their desires. She is a person unto herself, but much of what she is today comes from being raised in that position, since she saw early on that she had been blessed beyond even the other people in Paradise and that informs who she is.

Her privilege isn't that she is a princess since it doesn't mean anything in a peaceful society of immortals. Her privilege is that she never never knew what insecurity or shame, or lack of adoration was, until she was a fully grown adult in our world.

Fantastic Member

Diana is a amazon princess whose been isolated on Paradise Island for thousands of years who wants adventure and competition. She discover there's war happening in Man's world and wants to make a difference by defeating War criminals, mercenaries, terrorists, assassins, mythical and supernatural threats.

Sheltered Amazonian princess disobeys her mother to go explore the outside world and fight against a war god but soon learns that we do indeed live in a society.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Trying my hand at the All-Star Superman short, laconic, origin summary;

"Hidden paradise. Mother's love. Forbidden man. Defiant daughter"

"Wonder Woman".
    This is perfection.

I love that you got Steve in there.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

A fantasy action heroine in modern day. Basically a modern version of She-Ra.

Where Superman is the country boy that wants to help his neighbor and Batman is the trust fund kid that lost his innocence, Wonder Woman is the uptown girl that wants everyone to have it as good as she did growing up.

GET HER OUT OF WASHINGTON!

Wonder Woman is a female Highlander/Tomb Raider combo, living in the grand, dangerous, beautiful American Southwest! With her friends, teen rancher tough-girl Etta, ..disciplined, optimistic Amazon aide Mala, ..tough expeditions chief and ex-militaire - Col. Steve Trevor, ..Dr. Ching, master of occult and martial arts - sometimes, joined by the swashbuckling Siegfried the Dragon-slayer - DIANA protects Rockwell City, its mountains and deserts and the world beyond it, from mystical forces and otherworldly powers, threatening to subdue mankind...

As Wonder Woman!

Her primary antagonists are the bloodthirsty, immortal, Kurgan-like ruler of a barbarian island, Clea the First...a reality-warping, transgendered Roman god, Janus, ..and the White Magician! Sinister director of U.S. military super-agency, ARGUS, and head of a sinister, wealthy family out to destroy Wonder Woman, ..White Magician is a powerful sorcerer and secretly Steve Trevor's grandfather. Diana's battles with all of them keep her adventures immersed in the worlds of sci-fi, fantasy adventure, horror and government intrigue.

Since it's the Silver Age Fifties where this comic ran off the rails, I could also - here's Elevator Pitch #2 - imagine a miniseries setting this story in the Fifties, with Diana relocating to the American Southwest with her friends and starting an antiquities and expeditions company. Keeping her in Washington just keeps storytelling alternately centered around Steve - it shouldn't be - breaking that up with stupid god wars and random, wasteful (way too many) stories unfolding on Paradise Island.

The setting is the Fifties, with Steve a little banged up from the Big One and struggling against the control of his family, ..Etta torn between helping her family hold onto their ranch and adventuring with Wonder Woman. Diana finds herself challenging the sexism of the Fifties, in her secret identity as a pioneering female executive AND a superheroine among super-HEROES! I'd love to see what Warren Ellis, Michael W. Conrad and Becky Cloonan, Tom King, Alan Moore or Grant Morrison could do with it.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-18-2023 at 03:36 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Elevator pitch for her very first pic in Hollywood speak? So we looking for language to indicate what action set pieces might be like and what its expected performance is to mirror. Hmmmm.

Okay.

With WW you are financing a powerhouse first entry in a trilogy of films beginning with what is essentially Manchurian Candidate meets Red October on Land with World War Z and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon thrown in. And all of it viewed through the lens of CLASH OF THE TITANS (the classic one).

It would basically be Perez's first arc.