Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

There is absolutely no chance that Ewing will ignore the concept of mutant magic being superior to all other forms of magic, to do otherwise would be to forgo the chance to dump on Dr Strange the same way he did Reed/Tony when he bumped Forge up to Omega just because

There’s just the small problem that, from what we saw in Sins, Storm didn’t use Mutant Magic as put forth in Excalibur. She called on elder gods and her own human ancestors to do so with a powerboost from Khora
    Last edited by king of hybrids; 05-24-2023 at 09:44 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I've skipped a lot of X-books so maybe I just missed it but...Where was it categorically stated that Mutant Magic is superior to all other forms of magic?
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-24-2023 at 10:05 AM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    We'll see what elements Ewing will keep or not keep as he builds on the idea. Apocalypse has had some time to practice while in Amenth so he may have updated his material. I do like that Ewing brought the External Gate back as that was A's brainchild and it allowed Jean and Exodus to move the entirety of Arakko to Mars with Lactuca's mapping.
    Yupp.
    While I don't care at all for the concept of Mutant Magic poorly introduced by Tini Howard in Excalibur (it really wasn't that interesting to start), I do trust Ewing to make good sense out of utter nonsense. I still won't care for it but at least I will better understand it.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I've skipped a lot of X-books so maybe I just missed it but...Where was it categorically stated that Mutant Magic is superior to all other forms of magic?
    Excalibur. As I recall the idea is that as mutant magic comes from within mutants (their bones crystallise with it) and is expressed via the correct combination of mutants in the X, there’s none of the bargaining and invocation of external parties involved in ‘lesser’ forms of magic

It wasn’t really elaborated due to X of Swords/Poccy whitewashing being the focus and later switch to poorly thought out brexit metaphor/jumping on Spurrier and Ewing’s “Arthur was the evil one all along” train and trying to explain away the awkwardness of the Avalon takeover by pulling an oppressed population of mutants indigenous to Otherworld out of the aether

Apocalypse wrote it in his grimoire which tracks since he feels everything mutant is superior. But it was never stated as fact anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Excalibur. As I recall the idea is that as mutant magic comes from within mutants (their bones crystallise with it) and is expressed via the correct combination of mutants in the X, there’s none of the bargaining and invocation of external parties involved in ‘lesser’ forms of magic

It wasn’t really elaborated due to X of Swords/Poccy whitewashing being the focus and later switch to poorly thought out brexit metaphor/jumping on Spurrier and Ewing’s “Arthur was the evil one all along” train and trying to explain away the awkwardness of the Avalon takeover by pulling an oppressed population of mutants indigenous to Otherworld out of the aether
    Because the X-writers seem to be coming full circle with a lot of things started at the beginning of Krakoa, I think the idea of mutant magic was meant to be shelved with Apocalypse leaving to be brought back later upon his return. I hope Rictor plays a role in all of that since A gave him his magic book and he continued to practice it.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Speaking of magic, I loved Spurrier's explanation of the Winding Way

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post

Thanks King and Sibz

Though I will say...Mutant magic requiring "the correct combination of mutants" for the invocation to work doesn't logically make it "superior" in execution to say, Wanda or Selene or Stephen Strange just waving their fingers, creating a sigil and speaking the spell. Sure they may have bargained for the power and external parties are involved but...if you need five persons for a particular MM spell but only three are available then you're screwed.

It didn't make a lick of sense when Tini said it so hopefully Ewing does better a better job with it.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-24-2023 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks King and Sibz

Though I will say...Mutant magic requiring "the correct combination of mutants" for the invocation to work doesn't logically make it "superior" in execution to say, Wanda or Selene or Stephen Strange just waving their fingers, creating a sigil and speaking the spell. Sure they may have bargained for the power and external parties are involved but...if you need five persons for a particular MM spell but only three are available then you're screwed.

It didn't make a lick of sense when Tini said it so hopefully Ewing does better a better job with it.
    I think the mutant power is more important than the precise mutant ? Like A probably considers the 5 mutant magic ?

And I would say magic coming from within instead of depanding on other entities is better. But you need mutant unity for that. Which is the point of the era I gues XD

Thanks King and Sibz

As you yourself also know people like Wanda don't even have to bargain for anything. Her power is innate. There are magic users who indeed have to bargain for power with Strange probably being the biggest example of it but there are also tons of characters who don't have to so mutant magic isn't even anything special when it comes to that.

Ewing is a good writer so he will do his best but I feel he is only allowed to explore and flesh out mutant magic because it's a dropped concept that will have no relevance outside of X-books.

Hickman has his new series G.O.D.S lined up and it's all about magic meets science. Stuff that happens in there will probably be relevant to Marvel as a whole. I kinda doubt anything Ewing is doing is allowed to interfere with anything Hickman is cooking.
    For anyone interested. There was new article released about it today
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...nkId=216108430

"This is me being reasonable"

Based on X's.

In humans witches are that thing and more likely to have innate magic because they have two x chromosomes.
    Men are half as likely to be born with innate magic because they have one x chromosome.
    So the x-gene turns everything on its head because now women who are mutant are xxx and men are xxy. The odds. ^_^
    Last edited by jwatson; 05-24-2023 at 01:09 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    As you yourself also know people like Wanda don't even have to bargain for anything. Her power is innate. There are magic users who indeed have to bargain for power with Strange probably being the biggest example of it but there are also tons of characters who don't have to so mutant magic isn't even anything special when it comes to that.

Ewing is a good writer so he will do his best but I feel he is only allowed to explore and flesh out mutant magic because it's a dropped concept that will have no relevance outside of X-books.

Hickman has his new series G.O.D.S lined up and it's all about magic meets science. Stuff that happens in there will probably be relevant to Marvel as a whole. I kinda doubt anything Ewing is doing is allowed to interfere with anything Hickman is cooking.

That actually reminds me that Hickman and Ewing work very closely together on Hickman's 3 Worlds / 3 Moons project. I bet there's been some dialogue of a magical nature between them as it relates to their Marvel work.

That actually reminds me that Hickman and Ewing work very closely together on Hickman's 3 Worlds / 3 Moons project. I bet there's been some dialogue of a magical nature between them as it relates to their Marvel work.
    I'm still not sure what that project is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I'm still not sure what that project is.
    It's basically Hickman's own comic universe via substack. He brought in Ewing and a few others to world-build it then recently had him come back in to write. I'm not a paid subscriber but I'm considering it because the art is really speaking to me: https://3w3m.substack.com/
    Last edited by JB; 05-24-2023 at 01:35 PM.

It's basically Hickman's own comic universe via substack. He brought in Ewing and a few others to world-build it then recently had him come back in to write. I'm not a paid subscriber but I'm considering it because the art is really speaking to me: https://3w3m.substack.com/
    Yeah I'm still not really understanding what's a substack XD (but I'm also trying to figure out Discord so that's a me problem). I tried reading explanations but still no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post

That's my thing though...If o--:[A]:--o Tini wants to claim magic superiority then...he/she can look to Wanda whose magic is innate. Or Megan or Amanda or even Storm. As compared to someone like Kate.
    Personally, it was one of those things that should have been left on Tini's editing room floor (Hickman gave writers too much leeway in the early part of this era) And would have been best ignored now. Alas...