Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default A Once Entertaining Cable Channel That Is Now Pathetic

I know everyone streams everything now.

But how sad that once entertaining cable channels have fallen by the wayside.

Take the Travel Channel for instance. Used to, Memorial Day weekend you could see the best amusement parks or best water parks. Now it's just Paranormal caught on video24/7.

What are some others?

A&E and History Channel.

Edit: A&E use to be Biography, City Confidential, American Castles, Breakfast with the Arts, Poirot, Cold Case Files (Although recently brought back), and went to Storage Wars, Dog the Bounty Hunter, Duck Dynasty and a lot of shit like that. First 48 is the only thing they kept going that came close to some of their former programming and even that wasn't as good IMO.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 05-28-2023 at 05:52 PM.

History Channel tops the list. They used to have great documentaries. Now it is all Pawn Star and American Pickers. I miss Civil War Journal. I also remember on the 4th of July they would do documentaries on the Revolutionary War.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    History Channel tops the list. They used to have great documentaries. Now it is all Pawn Star and American Pickers. I miss Civil War Journal. I also remember on the 4th of July they would do documentaries on the Revolutionary War.
    They put it on Youtube a lot of their good old stuff is there

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...npMnN90260eDuh

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I beg to differ. The Learning Channel is easily atop that rotten list in my book as it used to have lots of science, wildlife and medical shows. Now it’s all trashy “reality” shows like 19 Kids and Counting, 90 Day Fiancée, Jon & Kate Plus Eight, Toddlers and Tiaras and its own miserable spawn, Here’s Comes Honey Boo Boo.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I beg to differ. The Learning Channel is easily atop that rotten list in my book as it used to have lots of science, wildlife and medical shows. Now it’s all trashy “reality” shows like 19 Kids and Counting, 90 Day Fiancée, Jon & Kate Plus Eight, Toddlers and Tiaras and its own miserable spawn, Here’s Comes Honey Boo Boo.
    Either of them are supposed to be more of a tumble than MTV?

Seriously?

There's also CNN. They used to be a reliable place for hard news. Now they give Donald Trump a softball town hall, where they let him have his fans as the only "town" in the hall.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Either of them are supposed to be more of a tumble than MTV?

Seriously?
    In my opinion, that’s debatable. History Channel and TLC chose to change their formats, MTV was forced to pivot after the advent of YouTube and streaming signaled the demise of music videos in the mid 00’s.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    There's also CNN. They used to be a reliable place for hard news. Now they give Donald Trump a softball town hall, where they let him have his fans as the only "town" in the hall.
    Not seeing "Entertaining..." anywhere within a couple of light years of anything in that post.

In my opinion, that’s debatable. History Channel and TLC chose to change their formats, MTV was forced to pivot after the advent of YouTube and streaming signaled the demise of music videos in the mid 00’s.
    I don't think that the path to winding up at "Just Pathetic..." was a stipulation in that initial post.

Just going from being worthwhile to being something that is just pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Not seeing "Entertaining..." anywhere within a couple of light years of anything in that post.
    Maybe they're an example of the reverse. They're now more concerned with being entertaining than they are in informing the public.
    Watching television is not an activity.

I was going to say any network tv station because they used to be cool and show B movies and cartoons in the weekends and now all they are are infomercials.
    But you said Cable so I will go with MTV. Though music videos kinda are in the sidelines now due to YouTube and the net.
    Next up are science channel and History which has already been discussed.
    USA that it nixed it’s BMovies on weekends. Up All Night was great as it showed a bunch of B movies with a theme. All Law and Order all the time.
    Bravo as it was for quality shows and movies etc and now it’s reality garbage but it still have Top Chef. Best cooking competition going.
    Headline News. Great place to go for just the headlines. Now its No longer headlines or news.

VH1 Went the same route. Used to have good videos but now is reality shows. CMT used to have country music videos but is now sitcoms and such.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

Agreed. I used to like to watch TLC, then lost cable for a few years. Don't even recognize it now.

More recently, I'd add TNT. The bastards are just giving up and doing reruns. They killed Snowpeircer!

Sci-fi channel. Tons of sci fi shows from every era, classic films, anime, animated kids block and more.

Then they started removing the classics. Added cooking and wrestling on a "sci fi" network. Then started making awful tv movies that made them a joke.

Sigh.