View Poll Results: Judged by the crieria in post 1, how do you rate Azzarello's Wonder Woman?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Fantastic, gripping. You cant wait to read it each month and reread it over and over for pleasure.

40 36.70%
  • B Good. Ups & downs but you look forward to it every month

17 15.60%
  • C Satisfactory. You enjoy reading it. There are some things you'd change.

10 9.17%
  • D Unimpressed. You're still buying for completenss or just because its WW. Much you would change.

14 12.84%
  • E Not for you. Maybe you've dropped it & just visit the forums now.

28 25.69%
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Your feelings about Azzarello's Wonder Woman in an of itself

This is a separate poll.

Why? Well, the other poll asks you to measure the current run against other DC stories. But what if you hate all the other DC stories? Does that mean this run is 5 stars? Or what if you love all the other DC works you're reading and are not so fond of this one? Is it a bad story? What if you aren't reading any other DC books? Can you comment at all?

So this poll is measuring the story ONLY in and of itself. Not comparing it to what DC is putting out in other books right now - this story. How do you feel about it?

Criteria? Please consider...

The plot
    The art
    The characterization
    The dialogue between characters
    The action
    The pacing

Have fun, and feel free to comment [within the forum guidelines of course].

This is the same question of the other thread.

Anyway, the answer is the same. Azzarello's run is the best compared to none (!), to all DC books of now and to all Wonder Woman stories ever published.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Using the scale from the poll:

The plot - 1
    The art - 3
    The characterization - 2
    The dialogue between characters - 4
    The action - 3
    The pacing - 1

The all mythology plot has me bored to death. I like variety in my comics so when it's all myth all of the time, I quickly lose interest.

The art is hit or miss. Some panels look great while others look like they're lacking essential details and backgrounds.

Characterization is all over the place. Azz gets Diana's compassion but little else about her. Hippolyta and the Amazons are way off. Ares was just plain bland. I do like Sirracca and Strife's characterizations though.

The dialogue is quite amusing at times.

The action is far and few in between and a lot of times, anti-climatic.

The pacing is that of cold, dripping molasses.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Too many puns, and the art really varies

The plot-4
    The art-2
    The characterization-3 He's got Wonder Woman and the gods down, but the Amazons are really disappointing. They don't have to be perfect. I just didn't want them to be so unappealing. And why do they have different names when they're clearly Artemis and Phillipus!?
    The dialogue between characters-2
    The action-5
    The pacing-4
    Last edited by coveredinbees; 05-05-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    This is the same question of the other thread.

Anyway, the answer is the same. Azzarello's run is the best compared to none (!), to all DC books of now and to all Wonder Woman stories ever published.
    No, its different. The other poll judges it against what DC produces right now - this takes into account the readers general taste in stories and/or Wonder Woman stories.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

BTW - I think you did a great job of describing the poll choices.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

It's a good poll. Compared to some New 52 books this is a masterpiece.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    BTW - I think you did a great job of describing the poll choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    It's a good poll. Compared to some New 52 books this is a masterpiece.
    Thanks guys - when you have to come up with criteria to mark students work you start to get a knack for it. Though you should probably be grateful that they limited me to 100 characters per option

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Using the scale from the poll:

The plot - 1
    The art - 3
    The characterization - 2
    The dialogue between characters - 4
    The action - 3
    The pacing - 1

The all mythology plot has me bored to death. I like variety in my comics so when it's all myth all of the time, I quickly lose interest.

The art is hit or miss. Some panels look great while others look like they're lacking essential details and backgrounds.

Characterization is all over the place. Azz gets Diana's compassion but little else about her. Hippolyta and the Amazons are way off. Ares was just plain bland. I do like Sirracca and Strife's characterizations though.

The dialogue is quite amusing at times.

The action is far and few in between and a lot of times, anti-climatic.

The pacing is that of cold, dripping molasses.
    This is pretty much how I have felt about the whole thing. About the only difference with my opinion is for the art. Chang has done a really good job and I have admired most of his work here. The sub artists have been less so with Tony Akins being far far below par. My other issue with the art has been the depiction of the gods. If their powers come from their worshippers (which I recall reading at some point in all this) then why oh why was War of all characters depicted as a frail looking old man? He should be without question the most imposing of all the gods presented. Likewise the other depictions have left me cold as well with Poseidon like a bloated angler fish, Hermes a stripped chicken and Hades like a child. Had Hades been depicted as an adult and kept the melting candles and costume, it would have been quite cool. As it was...just weird and not in a good way.
    As for the story, it would have been nice to have some of this inter cut with other stories. Three years of this is just way too long. It has felt overly padded and yes, has moved at the pace of cold dripping molasses. That's not to say there hasn't been good moments...Hera's development, Strife, the First Born actually looks to be an imposing villain. There should however been other stories cut into the over arching story. I realize he wanted to tell his story, but this just adds to my opinion of DC having some of the weakest editorial systems. A good editor could have helped him craft his story that still got him where he was going but cutting out about half of the fluff and lack of movement. I'm guessing he got a pass just because of his name branding. Stories such as if Wonder Girl is going to be the daughter of Lennox and be called Wonder Girl...there needs to be some connection. Even a one off story. Plus finding some creative way of including some some of her more creative rogues...I'm quite certain Azz could have done some really cool stories with them in between the ongoing story of the gods.

But that's just my opinion.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Voted "A."

This is THE book that I look forward to the most lately. Especially now that we're nearing the end of the story and things are starting to heat up.

I definitely read each book more than once, and even double back through previous issues every now and then. For those who don't like the pacing, I find that doing so is very helpful in understanding the passage of time. Not to mention it helps you keep track of what has happened. This is definitely a run that reads better in TPB form than as a monthly.

The plot is excellent. If slow-moving at times.

The art, I'll confess, is not my favorite. There have been many Wonder Woman runs with what I consider better art.

Characterization? This is one of the best Wonder Woman characterizations ever. He's got her down perfectly. His supporting characters are good too. Like most, I don't love the new Amazons, and I very much hope that the next writer brings back the more classic Amazons. I desperately want to see Artemis show up and smack Aleka down.

Dialogue? Excellent. I like the puns, and for the most part I find it a very fun read.

The action? Could be a little better, but that's just the unfortunate truth that Azz isn't a traditional superhero writer. Still, things have been heating up and getting better in this regard, and I'm glad to see that Azz has been pretty consistent in portraying Diana as strong and competent at her job.

Very few complaints on this run. A few questions I really want answered, but I'm willing to wait for the run to be over before I get frustrated.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

i went with c i don't like the changes to some of diana's core but the story is solid also thisI desperately want to see Artemis show up and smack Aleka down.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I dropped the book after #7. In a way, that did me a favor: it brought to the forefront how often I had been buying comics out of habit that I wasn't really enjoying. Wonder Woman was the linchpin of my interest in the DC universe. With her book so bleak and unreadable, I found very little in DC's lineup that could sustain my interest at all. I currently am not pulling any DC, though I have been following the SM/WW book. If it gets dragged into another Who Dies Next crossover, it's gone too.

When you've been put in charge of a national monument, your first job is to preserve it intact for generations to come. Wonder Woman is such a monument in our national culture, and Azzarello and DC have failed to treat her history with the respect she's entitled to. She's been treated very shabbily in this reboot, the character buried, deliberately kept away from her nominal universe while chasing Zola's latest kidnapper in circles. She's been told her life was a lie for cheap shock value. Her world has been morally degraded, technologically degraded, and generally disfigured.

I was a fan of Wonder Woman because of the whimsy and (for want of a better word) "camp" at the center of her lore. Of all of the DC heroes, she was the one best suited to resist bleakness and gore. Now that too has been taken from her, along with her relationships with Steve Trevor, Cassie Sandsmark, Donna Troy, and her mother. Wonder Woman was unique on the Trinity for not having a tragic origin. Now she's another orphaned exile from a lost world: how breathtakingly original.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Extraordinary Member

Its interesting to notice the difference in voting patterns between this pole and the other which compares the book to DC current fare.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

it's okay, but I feel it suffers from the same thing that pretty much all WW runs have suffered from in recent memory. Pretty much every new creative team feels that they need to completely remake the character into something else.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Its interesting to notice the difference in voting patterns between this pole and the other which compares the book to DC current fare.
    One difference I see is that in the other poll option "B" is coming in closer to option "A." I suspect that this is because "Option A" in that poll describes the book as "the best" of the New 52. Lots of people may love the book but have at least one New 52 book that they prefer, and, if they take "the best" literally, this would bump the book down from "A" to "B." If the other poll said "the best, or one of the best," of the New 52, the voting patterns would probably be more similar, don't you think?