View Poll Results: Judged by the crieria in post 1, how do you rate Azzarello's Wonder Woman?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Fantastic, gripping. You cant wait to read it each month and reread it over and over for pleasure.

40 36.70%
  • B Good. Ups & downs but you look forward to it every month

17 15.60%
  • C Satisfactory. You enjoy reading it. There are some things you'd change.

10 9.17%
  • D Unimpressed. You're still buying for completenss or just because its WW. Much you would change.

14 12.84%
  • E Not for you. Maybe you've dropped it & just visit the forums now.

28 25.69%
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Y'all got omnibuses for at least Perez, Jimenez, and Simone. No one to blame but yourself, my friend
    Perez - Vol 1 is out of print and I have this weird need to buy the volumes in order

Jimenez - Loved the bits I’ve read but I’ve heard his run got screwed over editorially and I’m hesitant to buy an omnibus if I don’t love the run as a whole. It’s $48 on Amazon right now, worth it? I love his art and voice for Diana

Simone - Same as Jimenez but it’s out of print again
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They did seem to be consistent with depicting the Gods as ideal, perfect humanoids though, so fish man Poseidon would be right the hell out
    Except all the times they turn up as a bull, swan, or rain, and that's only counting Zeus.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Perez - Vol 1 is out of print and I have this weird need to buy the volumes in order

Jimenez - Loved the bits I’ve read but I’ve heard his run got screwed over editorially and I’m hesitant to buy an omnibus if I don’t love the run as a whole. It’s $48 on Amazon right now, worth it? I love his art and voice for Diana

Simone - Same as Jimenez but it’s out of print again
    Jimenez - First half, or year or so, of Jimenez’s is his strongest; “Gods of Gotham”, “She’s a Wonder”, “Paradise Lost”, and “Witch and the Warrior” are the highlights of the run for me. I liked his bringing back Villainy Inc but I wasn’t the biggest fan of the Skataris arc where they come up and “male Cheetah” is as ridiculous as it sounds. The editorial stuff like the OWAW tie-ins are the worst parts of his run (outside of Hippolyta’s death scene) imo.

Simone - She inherited a mess so unfortunately a lot of her run is having to rebuild WW’s world after Infintie Crisis/Amazons Attack. “The Circle”, “Ends of the Earth”, and the Powergirl/Black Canary team ups are probably her best.

My favorite WW Simone story is probably her Conan crossover from a few years back since it avoids all those aforementioned problems.

Was there any part of Azzarello's run that he was forced to include do to editorial mandate?

I like Simone's Queen of Fables story. This panel aged very well:

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Was there any part of Azzarello's run that he was forced to include do to editorial mandate?
    As far as I am aware, no. This seems to be one of the few WW runs that didn't suffer from editorial mandates.

Stuff like the Zero Issue month I think but I guess that's different from what's traditionally considered "editorially interference".

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I like Simone's Queen of Fables story. This panel aged very well:
    This was a good. Probably the only time I enjoyed Queen of Fables.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Except all the times they turn up as a bull, swan, or rain, and that's only counting Zeus.
    Yeah, the Gods shape shift a lot, but I don't think the ancient Greeks would envision a sea monster as Poseidon's regularlook.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

To each their own. But i am surprised to see the positive option in the poll winning. I thought more Wondy fans would be more upset about all the things that this run destroyed in Diana's lore.

The Chazzarello run was just so sodding slow...really. Oh, ye gods, it was like being trapped in some sort of evil dental surgery, with no anesthetic. It was so slow and wasteful of panel space-time (half a page, showing Zola looking out a window, etc), it read, as though Brian and Cliff were publishing a series of monthly vignettes, as a comic. That slowness and the Amazon sex pirate bit were probably the worst of it.

I think the First Born was one of the best things, from the run.

The First Born might have been a parent for Queen Clea, making her a broader character, in that she had a life of conquest, beyond and before arriving at Venturia. He represents patriarchy and male-favored birth order, but, that went right over most of our heads. I don't see anything gained by his presence in the comic, that couldn't have been created, by tweaking Clea - again, ..I think Diana's Kurgan should be a murderous, ginormous woman, deadset on subjugating humanity, who will never quit. Furthermore, the story with him and Cassandra the Mad, her devotion to him and how he uses her resources to achieve his ends, ..is completely wasted, in the final act, in which she becomes completely immaterial.

That might have been one of the worst failures of the run - how Cassandra the Mad, who might have been a great super-villainess, with a spectacularly simple, built-in motivation, was completely trashed and shoved aside to tell the saga of Porkchop God of Self-piteous Nihilism.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-22-2021 at 06:57 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    And that's the major problem. If you can replace the main character and it still read fine (or better) you have failed in writing your story.
    That's not what I meant. Imagine doing a story where Batman is a member of and leading the Titans. It would be weird because that's a Dick Grayson plot. Cassie is already the daughter of Zeus and has an uncle like relationship with Ares. Instead of jamming WW into those plots, they should have just done those plots with Cassie. I'm sure folks would have even welcomed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    As far as I am aware, no. This seems to be one of the few WW runs that didn't suffer from editorial mandates.
    Ah ok. I figured if anything was editorial mandated it would be Zeus being her father, but maybe that was all on Azzarello.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    To each their own. But i am surprised to see the positive option in the poll winning. I thought more Wondy fans would be more upset about all the things that this run destroyed in Diana's lore.
    New 52 brought on a lot of new readers (like myself) who never touched any Wonder Woman stuff before. So it was hard to be upset about what the story did to Wonder Woman when I didn't know much about her. So I can remember enjoying it for what it was, and based my review off of that. (Plus we're supposed to judge it all by itself, right?)

Now that I DO know more, I can barely re-read the run.

Ah ok. I figured if anything was editorial mandated it would be Zeus being her father, but maybe that was all on Azzarello.

New 52 brought on a lot of new readers (like myself) who never touched any Wonder Woman stuff before. So it was hard to be upset about what the story did to Wonder Woman when I didn't know much about her. So I can remember enjoying it for what it was, and based my review off of that. (Plus we're supposed to judge it all by itself, right?)

Now that I DO know more, I can barely re-read the run.
    It was Azz’s idea but given it’s the one thing DC has kept from this run we pushed in other media, I figure DC would have demanded no clay origin regardless of the writer.

One would think they would have shot out the Omnibus of Rucka's run the moment it finished to ride the popularity of the WW movie.

Even with WW84, the Omnibus would still have made sense since it has Cheetah's origin as well. Hell, the bonus features from the freaking movie use panels from the run as reference. DC what is your marketing team doing...
    Maybe at some point they realised that Ruck's last run was bad and decided to quietly brush it under the rug.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Maybe at some point they realised that Ruck's last run was bad and decided to quietly brush it under the rug.
    Considering the double page spread of characters for Clooney and Conrad's run, doesn't seem like it.

Unlike Azzarello's