View Poll Results: Judged by the crieria in post 1, how do you rate Azzarello's Wonder Woman?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Fantastic, gripping. You cant wait to read it each month and reread it over and over for pleasure.

40 36.70%
  • B Good. Ups & downs but you look forward to it every month

17 15.60%
  • C Satisfactory. You enjoy reading it. There are some things you'd change.

10 9.17%
  • D Unimpressed. You're still buying for completenss or just because its WW. Much you would change.

14 12.84%
  • E Not for you. Maybe you've dropped it & just visit the forums now.

28 25.69%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Well, that's sorta the thing...

I can totally get the "Why?..." behind DC wanting to do away with what was a rather self-contained "New52..." story.

That said, it sorta hobbles the idea that it was all a lie(or whatever they wound up trying to say that it was...) if an actual physical remnant of it exists and is provably Diana's brother.

I just never got leaving him in the equation. Really odd choice.
    It was a bad Geoff Johns idea, and he had the clout at that point to pull it off.

Maybe with the new people in charge, we will hopefully get rid of the Zeus origin altogether and leave it as a clean break. Jason himself seems to have fallen into limbo with nobody clamoring for his return, so that would make it easier.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Yes. Yes it was, and somehow i now just see it as a perfect Elseworld story. Main line WW can go doing whatever bland and uninspired story it wants with her "cast" and her "iconic" nemesis, the Cheetah, I'll just re-read it personally.
    azzarello was so ''inspired'' that his run was basically a female hercules in WW costume. Very ''unique''. Not bland at all.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    azzarello was so ''inspired'' that his run was basically a female hercules in WW costume. Very ''unique''. Not bland at all.
    Yeah, the Azzarello run is running on some very old cliches that are somehow less progressive and fresh than something written in the 1940s.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It was a bad Geoff Johns idea, and he had the clout at that point to pull it off.

Maybe with the new people in charge, we will hopefully get rid of the Zeus origin altogether and leave it as a clean break. Jason himself seems to have fallen into limbo with nobody clamoring for his return, so that would make it easier.
    DC Direct just announced Jason and Myrina Black mini-statues. Prince Jason isn't going, anywhere.

Robinson hoped to make him an Ultraman/Olympian mash-up. Ultraman was an astronaut, abducted by deep space Kryptonians, who re-engineered him into a superhuman - Jason's abduction story, except with Greek gods doing the re-engineering and magic armor. They should reintroduce him, as Hippolyta's son from a parallel universe, simplify his junky uniform ..and use him, outside of the WW comic.

I begged Robinson NOT to call him, 'Wonderstorm' - told him it was ridiculous. I fear that's the name he had planned for him, because it was right after that, he quit Twitter. Doh!

Jason-Olympian.jpg
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-26-2021 at 04:34 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Gonna be honest, even before Jason poisoned the well I never got the desire for a "male counterpart to WW à la Supergirl/Batgirl/Batwoman". Just seemed like copying Bats and Supes to fill a hole that didn't exist.

I'm at least grateful Jason ended up being awful so now I have evidence to show why such a counterpart doesn't need to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Gonna be honest, even before Jason poisoned the well I never got the desire for a "male counterpart to WW à la Supergirl/Batgirl/Batwoman". Just seemed like copying Bats and Supes to fill a hole that didn't exist.

I'm at least grateful Jason ended up being awful so now I have evidence to show why such a counterpart doesn't need to exist.
    I don't think DC can even have a "Wonder Man" because of Marvel. There was that Wonder Boy thread that Jimenez left that wouldn't have minded being explored.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    DC Direct just announced Jason and Myrina Black mini-statues. Prince Jason isn't going, anywhere.

Robinson hoped to make him an Ultraman/Olympian mash-up. Ultraman was an astronaut, abducted by deep space Kryptonians, who re-engineered him into a superhuman - Jason's abduction story, except with Greek gods doing the re-engineering and magic armor. They should reintroduce him, as Hippolyta's son from a parallel universe, simplify his junky uniform ..and use him, outside of the WW comic.

I begged Robinson NOT to call him, 'Wonderstorm' - told him it was ridiculous. I fear that's the name he had planned for him, because it was right after that, he quit Twitter. Doh!

Jason-Olympian.jpg
    jason doesn't have to go anywhere. Not using him and leaving him out of WW's adventures will be enough. Ignoring can be enough. There is no need of a reboot as long as he continues to be ignored.

Yeah, I have to be honest here..... Jason is right up there with daddy Zeus and misandrist, rapist, child trafficking amazons when it comes to bad ideas and executions. Needs to feed to the void and never brought back again. I don't need nor want a clown cars worth of Wonderfam members when the main ones are barely in anything right now.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    jason doesn't have to go anywhere. Not using him and leaving him out of WW's adventures will be enough. Ignoring can be enough. There is no need of a reboot as long as he continues to be ignored.
    Well...we know how that goes. Things created for use in WW tend to get fixed or rebooted for use, elsewhere in the DCU, ..and done better. Cooler.

Artemis. I Ching. Steve Trevor. Circe. Wonder Girl. Wonder Woman...pattern?

The Wonderverse doesn't need a Wonder Jason, because the classical myth already has a male Wonder, in Virbius Rex, ..immortal, male Amazon and demigod king of his own enchanted Italian forest of weird creatures. He's basically the wilderness answer to AQUAMAN. He has a queen and a magic sword and a talking tiger - he's Antiope's boy!

I'm going to tweet the creative team about him, tonight.

Anyway, I seriously doubt we have to worry about Jason showing up in the WW comic, again. There appears to be no interest in using him in stories, from Michael or Becky, ..but, who knows? Maybe, it's not too late to throw him, in there!

As for Mr. Azzarello run, generally speaking, ..I think he had a good situation for Diana, making her Lara Croft, with superpowers. I think it's the craziest thing in the world, that editors didn't insist on writers establishing it, as her official situation. Maybe, switch out Zola, Hera, War and Orion, ..with Etta, Desira, I Ching and new, Wonder-flirtation, ..Asquith Randolph Jr., estranged, angst-ridden son of the White Magician and his sinister, demon-worshipping, billionaire family.

As a nod to Brian's run, maybe, Asquith Jr. could be a Briton.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-27-2021 at 12:33 PM. Reason: content
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

OP Question

I'll give it a B; or good but not great.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I enjoyed it, it was the first WW book that really caught my interest. It's not great and had obvious flaws but I found it highly entertaining. I loved his designs for the gods and the art style was consistently good. I thought First Born was cool as well.

Edit: I do think it's better than the runs that came after.
    Last edited by 9th.; 04-26-2021 at 11:57 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I was never attached to Wonder Woman but I loved the art so much and the Greek mythos really caught my eye and I stuck with it month to month and I loved it.

I can imagine OG fans didn't like the dramatic change from her classic status quo, but the New 52 Wonder Woman was probably the best example of a new and updated take on Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It's still the best run of the 21st century.
    Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Not even close.
    Just to clarify, I'm saying its the best Wonder Woman run of the 21st century.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Just to clarify, I'm saying its the best Wonder Woman run of the 21st century.
    Still disagree.