View Poll Results: Judged by the crieria in post 1, how do you rate Azzarello's Wonder Woman?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Fantastic, gripping. You cant wait to read it each month and reread it over and over for pleasure.

40 36.70%
  • B Good. Ups & downs but you look forward to it every month

17 15.60%
  • C Satisfactory. You enjoy reading it. There are some things you'd change.

10 9.17%
  • D Unimpressed. You're still buying for completenss or just because its WW. Much you would change.

14 12.84%
  • E Not for you. Maybe you've dropped it & just visit the forums now.

28 25.69%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    One difference I see is that in the other poll option "B" is coming in closer to option "A." I suspect that this is because "Option A" in that poll describes the book as "the best" of the New 52. Lots of people may love the book but have at least one New 52 book that they prefer, and, if they take "the best" literally, this would bump the book down from "A" to "B." If the other poll said "the best, or one of the best," of the New 52, the voting patterns would probably be more similar, don't you think?
    Contrasting the two, on the other poll you have over 87% if the votes cast as above average. The other votes are all well below.

On this poll at this point, you have 47% above average, 37% below, and the rest in the middle.

What that seems to indicate is that this book does well in people's minds measured against other fare DC is producing in the New52, but if you take that comparison away and ask people to evaluate it in broader terms it doesn't rate as strongly.

But I do agree that a measure of specificity in the options always helps people in making their decision.
    Last edited by brettc1; 05-06-2014 at 04:21 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    What that seems to indicate is that this book does well in people's minds measured against other fare DC is producing in the New52, but if you take that comparison away and ask people to evaluate it in broader terms it doesn't rate as strongly.
    Possibly, but it may also just be different voters. You've got 34 voters on this thread so far, while the other has 14. The 15 voters who voted "fantastic, gripping" here outnumber the whole votership on the other poll (and those 15 may well include all the voters who voted on the high side on the other poll).

I'd be curious to know whether many people voted in the "above average" range there and voted "satisfactory" or below here, or whether most of those who voted on the lower end here simply didn't vote there. Closer to the latter would be my guess, because we can see the voter names on the other thread, and based on their comments on various threads, most of those whom I recognize seem more than satisfied.

If most of the less satisfied voters didn't vote on the other thread, it could be because they don't read many of the New 52 books and didn't feel they had a good basis for comparison.

In any case, clearly there are some of us who think it's a good comic by any standard, and clearly there are others who do not. And sure, there are some who don't like it very much but think it's good by New 52 standards. Name an opinion, and someone probably has it.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 05-06-2014 at 05:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Possibly, but it may also just be different voters. You've got 34 voters on this thread so far, while the other has 14. The 15 voters who voted "fantastic, gripping" here outnumber the whole votership on the other poll (and those 15 may well include all the voters who voted on the high side on the other poll).

I'd be curious to know whether many people voted in the "above average" range there and voted "satisfactory" or below here, or whether most of those who voted on the lower end here simply didn't vote there. Closer to the latter would be my guess, because we can see the voter names on the other thread, and based on their comments on various threads, most of those whom I recognize seem more than satisfied.

If most of the less satisfied voters didn't vote on the other thread, it could be because they don't read many of the New 52 books and didn't feel they had a good basis for comparison.

In any case, clearly there are some of us who think it's a good comic by any standard, and clearly there are others who do not. And sure, there are some who don't like it very much but think it's good by New 52 standards. Name an opinion, and someone probably has it.
    This being the internet, that is almost certainly bound to be the case. And yes, the possibility that having to compare this book to other New52 titles was limiting to people's responses was the reason that I posted a separate poll with a different question. The way a question is worded can often skew data one way or another.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    And yes, the possibility that having to compare this book to other New52 titles was limiting to people's responses was the reason that I posted a separate poll with a different question.
    Sure, I know. I just wanted to point out that most of the 13 people who voted on the high end of the other poll probably voted on the high end of this one too (though we can't know for sure, because the voters' names don't seem to be public in your poll, as they are in the other one). The wording of the different polls didn't, I suspect, change the responses of those who responded to both; more likely, the reason it has 34 respondents instead of 15 is that it attracted an additional group of non-New52-reading fans who may not think as highly of Az's run.

And their opinions count too (even though, of course, they are wrong ;>). So, seriously, I think your poll was a good idea.

I voted A
    I have enjoyed this series since issue #1
    Will be one of titles I have read over the decades
    which I will read again (of which the number is small)
    Last edited by My Two Cents; 05-06-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Incredible Member

My feelings? I feel that Azzarello's run on Wonder Woman has been an utter abomination. That it flew in the face of what the character has always been established to be about.

Turning Diana into the Goddess Of War is in utter opposition to a character that has always been about the promotion of peace.

What Azzarello has done is an absolute bastardization of the character in pretty much every way. And it absolutely blows my mind that people are rewarding him with fame and praise for absolutely ruining this property.

The New 52 line, as a whole, is utterly abysmal. Joyless, derivative hack-work! DC Comics always under-performs at their worst when they blatantly imitate Marvel, Image, or look back to the early 90's. Haven't they learned as much by now?

Azz' volume produces a work of some interest, but fails on several important fronts. He completely character-assassinated Hippolyta and the Amazons! "F" for that clumsy, heavy-handed, and cheap act of sensationalism. Period.

At times, his dialogue is clumsy, suffering from too much terseness and "cute" quips. The beach dialogue between Diana and Zola recently read like Bendis dialogue at its worst!

The pace is unforgivably glacial. Fast pacing that kept readers reeling would have been the way to go here! Instead, the resolution is coming slower than snail turds!

Chiang's art provides one of the few positives. The family drama is interesting...if it were confined to 6 issues, rather than three very long years. Azz overplayed certain themes, botched WW mythos, and showed decompression at its worst. Chiang's saves the series from a failing grade, but I can't give a grade higher than a "C"!

BANNED

Like my teacher say: FANTASTIC

It's only of the few DC books that I still excited for the new issues

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tangent Man View Post
    The New 52 line, as a whole, is utterly abysmal. Joyless, derivative hack-work! DC Comics always under-performs at their worst when they blatantly imitate Marvel, Image, or look back to the early 90's. Haven't they learned as much by now?
    That brings up another problem I have with modern comics writers. That they think that raping the innocence from decades established characters for the sake of shock value somehow equates to good writing. To me, it definitely does not. It marginalizes the properties by pushing them only to be adult oriented subject matter. It pushes the books to eventual stagnation and ruin. Making them unreadable for any other audience but straight up adults.

BANNED

Sure, I know. I just wanted to point out that most of the 13 people who voted on the high end of the other poll probably voted on the high end of this one too (though we can't know for sure, because the voters' names don't seem to be public in your poll, as they are in the other one). The wording of the different polls didn't, I suspect, change the responses of those who responded to both; more likely, the reason it has 34 respondents instead of 15 is that it attracted an additional group of non-New52-reading fans who may not think as highly of Az's run.

And their opinions count too (even though, of course, they are wrong ;>). So, seriously, I think your poll was a good idea.
    I liked you better as slvn

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tangent Man View Post
    At times, his dialogue is clumsy, suffering from too much terseness and "cute" quips. The beach dialogue between Diana and Zola recently read like Bendis dialogue at its worst!

The pace is unforgivably glacial. Fast pacing that kept readers reeling would have been the way to go here! Instead, the resolution is coming slower than snail turds!
    The underwritten dialogue and absence of other devices to insert narrative text, and the awful pacing of the title, are two sides of the same coin. It strikes me that some readers are apparently embarrassed to find that they still want to read superhero comics. Oblique and minimalist writing is one of the typical flaws of indie books, but need to be kept away from mainstream superheroes. I want my comic books to be comic-booky in tone and read like comic books.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

I love this book. The characterization, the art, the plot, it's all good to me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    I liked you better as slvn
    What, because of the "they are wrong ;>" thing? I was kidding, of course--but then, again, you probably are too.

Or, if you didn't like that post because there were too many numbers, don't worry; neither slvn nor Silvanus will ever make a habit of math.

As for the name, I just figured that when we had to re-register I should take the opportunity to get pronounceable.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 05-06-2014 at 01:22 PM.

My only complaint is Lennox dying
    I thought he added more to the story with his presence than has been gained with his loss.
    Seems like his decapitation has effected Orion and Strife also, in that they appear much less now
    and with it a big piece of the comedy.

Scale of one to ten -

The plot - 8
    The art - 10
    The characterization - 9
    The dialogue between characters - 9
    The action - 7(obviously not a run that revolves that aspect)
    The pacing - 8