View Poll Results: Judged by the crieria in post 1, how do you rate Azzarello's Wonder Woman?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Fantastic, gripping. You cant wait to read it each month and reread it over and over for pleasure.

40 36.70%
  • B Good. Ups & downs but you look forward to it every month

17 15.60%
  • C Satisfactory. You enjoy reading it. There are some things you'd change.

10 9.17%
  • D Unimpressed. You're still buying for completenss or just because its WW. Much you would change.

14 12.84%
  • E Not for you. Maybe you've dropped it & just visit the forums now.

28 25.69%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I'm surprised there are that many positive "A" votes.

I think Azzarello's run is critically acclaimed primarily because of it's divergence from the history /conventions of past Wonder Woman eras and arcs. I agree with the poster above who said this reboot was made cheap for the sake of shock value. I think when this run is complete and all the readers (and critics) have had some time to reflect on it, it's ranking will substantially drop especially with repeated readings.

Right now it is viewed in high regard because it's one of the few reboots of the nu52 which didn't begin with a complete mess.

The plot - 5 - Azz had a plan and he's stuck to it so far, making it at the very least interesting to see where it ends.
    The art - 4 ; Chiang has had some good issues but a lot of mediocre ones filled with spare, simplistic panels.
    The characterization - 2 ; Brutally deficient as covered above
    The dialogue between characters - 6 ; Azz has had fun with modern re-interpretations of mythos characters. Some dialog was witty and funny.
    The action - 6 - I think the big battle (#23?) with the first born is the highlight so far.
    The pacing - 3 ; In an era where whiners complain about decompression (Bendis), it's funny how many accept the pace of WW which is sub-glacial in comparison. Reads better as a trade.

Another thing -

It is a brilliant example of using the monthly format well. There have been a few "How long until next month?" endings during this run.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Scale of one to ten -

The plot - 8
    The art - 10
    The characterization - 9
    The dialogue between characters - 9
    The action - 7(obviously not a run that revolves that aspect)
    The pacing - 8
    Personally I scaled from 0 to 4 since it's an A to E measure. A pass being traditionally 50%

Plot 0
    Art 2
    Character 2.5 I agree he writes Diana pretty well but loses marks for the Amazons
    Dialogue 2.5
    Action 2
    Pacing 1

Overall mark - 10 out of a possible 24 = 1.6

On the scale if C is worth 2 that's a D (which is what I gave it).

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    I'm surprised there are that many positive "A" votes.
    Probably quite a few fans of the title who are not posting regularly(or at all) in this part of the board.

Extraordinary Member

Probably quite a few fans of the title who are not posting regularly(or at all) in this part of the board.
    Actually as we were discussing earlier it seems to have as many high marks as the other poll, its just that it has a range of other marks as well.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The Plot- 7/10
    The Art (When Chiang is drawing)- 9/10
    Characterization- 6.5/10 (Great on Diana and the Gods, everyone else is is kind of bland)
    Dialogue- 8/10. The puns are are both charming and eye-roll worthy.
    Action- 7/10. Kind of hard for me to judge this. Most action scenes in comics are pretty boring to me.
    Pacing- 5/10. The read itself is way too fast, but somehow the plot moves at a snail's pace.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Actually as we were discussing earlier it seems to have as many high marks as the other poll, its just that it has a range of other marks as well.
    Wait a second, what did I miss?

As for the surprise, it does seem like it would be a tough time to be a person who just "likes" the run. Most of the discussion seems like "Love it!" and "This run just is not for me".

Not exactly the easiest discussion for that other group of folks to take part in even if they like the run.

That's all before you factor in that Wonder Woman shines in the context of the New52 relaunch. It probably picked up a few fans just based on that.

Extraordinary Member

Wait a second, what did I miss?

As for the surprise, it does seem like it would be a tough time to be a person who just "likes" the run. Most of the discussion seems like "Love it!" and "This run just is not for me".

Not exactly the easiest discussion for that other group of folks to take part in even if they like the run.

That's all before you factor in that Wonder Woman shines in the context of the New52 relaunch. It probably picked up a few fans just based on that.
    I disagree - there are plenty of comics I get that are not "WOW AWESOME" consistently but I still spend on them. As examples - Avengers Assemble, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Captain Marvel [MU]. These books are good enough for me to read, but only occasionally fantastic. Usually you read them because you have a long history and/or appreciation of the character[s].

On the other hand, I find Angel and Faith to be a consistently gripping read. The current issues of Thor God of Thunder as well.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tangent Man View Post
    The New 52 line, as a whole, is utterly abysmal. Joyless, derivative hack-work! DC Comics always under-performs at their worst when they blatantly imitate Marvel, Image, or look back to the early 90's. Haven't they learned as much by now?
    This is it right here. It's not even the writers of the DC line's fault honestly when it comes down to it. When you have Bob Harras editor of the Marvel line of the 80's when it was making it most amount of money (not due to exceptionally good stories, but due to gimmick covers and over the top collectors' mentality) that DC is now following that model. Dan Didio himself has even said in interviews at the time of the New 52 roll out that it was their intention to get back those readers from the 90's.
    The worst part of this is in a recent post over in the previous boards' Captain Marvel thread, a poster was talking about how a friend was wanting a comic book for their young daughter. The best book he could point them to was Captain Marvel. Not that CM doesn't deserve recognition, it does. KSD writes an incredible book and super hero who is an excellent role model. Wonder Woman as it is...I would be mortified to give this book to a young girl. Rape. Murder. The suggestion of pedophilia (Hades' representation as a child being married to a grown woman.)
    That is just sad that the premier female super hero in the world headlines a book that does not translate well as something to serve as a role model. Sure Wonder Woman's character doesn't incline towards those traits, but the book as a whole does and therefore it fails utterly for the character.
    The DC line as a whole fails utterly as it is, as has been stated various times, completely devoid of joy and even hope. The only role models are those where your family is trash and you have to build yourself up. Heroes are not all born from tragedy. Sometimes a hero is born simply because he or she looks at the world around them and knows it could be better.
    Last edited by OBrianTallent; 05-06-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I disagree - there are plenty of comics I get that are not "WOW AWESOME" consistently but I still spend on them. As examples - Avengers Assemble, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Captain Marvel [MU]. These books are good enough for me to read, but only occasionally fantastic. Usually you read them because you have a long history and/or appreciation of the character[s].
    Huh. I meant from a "get involved in the discussion" standpoint. There not being many "good enough to read(and discuss) voices in current discussion could be discouraging those folks from posting about liking the current run even if they voted "Fantastic".

Thor: God Of Thunder, that's a whole other deal. It is shaping up to be one of the all time great runs.

The New 52 line, as a whole, is utterly abysmal. Joyless, derivative hack-work! DC Comics always under-performs at their worst when they blatantly imitate Marvel, Image, or look back to the early 90's. Haven't they learned as much by now?
    Since this came up, it is odd that they don't seem to have thought "What were that era's weaknesses? If we do something along that line, can we improve on them?"

Instead, you wind up with very familiar versions of Deathstroke and Lobo with the same sorts of storytelling. It's a drag to think that no one thought "We can do better."

The early 90's were a hell of a lot better than anything DC produced in its main continuity in the entirety of the 2000s, so if that's where they want to go for inspiration I say more power to them.

In any case I don't think DC's aim is imitating any of those examples. What I see a lot of, especially with the Superman line as an example, is the merging of a modern feel with Silver/Bronze Age charms. For every bit of the "Hay guys I'm seriously" tone, there's a lot of wacky stuff right along side it on the surface.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-06-2014 at 06:06 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    This is it right here. It's not even the writers of the DC line's fault honestly when it comes down to it. When you have Bob Harras editor of the Marvel line of the 80's when it was making it most amount of money (not due to exceptionally good stories, but due to gimmick covers and over the top collectors' mentality) that DC is now following that model. Dan Didio himself has even said in interviews at the time of the New 52 roll out that it was their intention to get back those readers from the 90's.
    The worst part of this is in a recent post over in the previous boards' Captain Marvel thread, a poster was talking about how a friend was wanting a comic book for their young daughter. The best book he could point them to was Captain Marvel. Not that CM doesn't deserve recognition, it does. KSD writes an incredible book and super hero who is an excellent role model. Wonder Woman as it is...I would be mortified to give this book to a young girl. Rape. Murder. The suggestion of pedophilia (Hades' representation as a child being married to a grown woman.)
    That is just sad that the premier female super hero in the world headlines a book that does not translate well as something to serve as a role model. Sure Wonder Woman's character doesn't incline towards those traits, but the book as a whole does and therefore it fails utterly for the character.
    The DC line as a whole fails utterly as it is, as has been stated various times, completely devoid of joy and even hope. The only role models are those where your family is trash and you have to build yourself up. Heroes are not all born from tragedy. Sometimes a hero is born simply because he or she looks at the world around them and knows it could be better.
    Well I wouldn't give a DC book directed to young readers for kids or teenagers read it too. DC has some kids books, but there is a huge gap for a all ages book.

the best books are the ones with less interference by editorial: Batman, Harley quinn, Wonder Woman,superman unchained. Hope DC will get a clue (they won't).
    DC is really repeating the worst part of 90s

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Well I wouldn't give a DC book directed to young readers for kids or teenagers read it too. DC has some kids books, but there is a huge gap for a all ages book.

the best books are the ones with less interference by editorial: Batman, Harley quinn, Wonder Woman,superman unchained. Hope DC will get a clue (they won't).
    DC is really repeating the worst part of 90s
    I'm not sure I understand your first statement. Not real sure what you are trying to say there, but your second sentence is extremely accurate. There is a massive gap between DC's "all ages line" and their regular line.
    However, I wouldn't classify Wonder Woman as one of the best books due to the lack of editorial influence. It might actually benefit from some editorial guidance, cutting down some of the padding that would have moved the story along making it a tighter story, while not necessarily a better one.

Examined as it's own thing, and not through the lense of expecting it to resemble a 'Wonder Woman' story, it's not so terrible. It is, in turns, amusing and intriguing.

A couple of hokey 'don't touch mah derrier, Spaceboy' lines and some fakey rapey 'Amazons' do not a good Wonder Woman comic make though. Her extended 'family' is absurd...although, it makes a bit more sense than her idolatry of these flawed beings in previous runs.

All told, I don't hate it entirely. I am, though, excited for it to wrap up so we can move on to something else. It's long overstayed it's plodding welcome.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.