View Poll Results: Which version of Peter Parker do you prefer?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Peter Parker (Insomniac games)

11 31.43%
  • Peter B. Parker (Spider-verse movies)

24 68.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Insomnic Peter or Spider-verse Peter B. Which one do you prefer?

I saw this topic mentioned on twitter and find it rather interesting.

So we have two versions of Peter Parker outside the comics that I think are distillations of quintessential elements of the character.

At the same time they're noticeably different takes of that concept. But, to me at least, they both feel true to the character of Peter Parker. I like both but don't know which one I prefer, or if I prefer one at all.

So I thought it could be a fun discussion. Which of these two versions of Peter Parker do you prefer?

Spectacular Member

Peter B is one of my fav Spider-Men in all of his history, only one that comes close for me is Ultimate Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I saw this topic mentioned on twitter and find it rather interesting.

So we have two versions of Peter Parker outside the comics that I think are distillations of quintessential elements of the character.

At the same time they're noticeably different takes of that concept. But, to me at least, they both feel true to the character of Peter Parker. I like both but don't know which one I prefer, or if I prefer one at all.

So I thought it could be a fun discussion. Which of these two versions of Peter Parker do you prefer?
    This is tough but I'm going to go with Peter B. He had such a beautiful arc in Spider-Verse and I look forward to seeing what they do with him in the sequel. Part of what resonated with me was the kid thing at the time I wasn't wanting children and fast forward we have beautiful two year old girl who has changed my life for the better.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

insomniac Peter. Didn't really like Itsv Peter character design
    Last edited by Jman27; 05-25-2023 at 05:44 AM.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Insomniac Peter. The best adaptation ever, imo.

Insomniac's take on Peter appealed to me more. Peter B works as a fun side character but I wouldn't be that interested in a spinoff solely about him.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-25-2023 at 07:20 AM.

Mighty Member

insomniac's version of Peter is also amazing, but since we're one game into what will eventually be a trilogy I feel like i need to see the rest before I can fully endorse him. I'm in an anxious mood for some reason (lol). Whiel it's true that Spider-verse Peter is in the same basic place, he feels....more complete, if that makes any sense. Like because he's less important to the story I kinda feel like i know who that character is so...i guess I go with that one...for now.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    insomniac's version of Peter is also amazing, but since we're one game into what will eventually be a trilogy I feel like i need to see the rest before I can fully endorse him. I'm in an anxious mood for some reason (lol). Whiel it's true that Spider-verse Peter is in the same basic place, he feels....more complete, if that makes any sense. Like because he's less important to the story I kinda feel like i know who that character is so...i guess I go with that one...for now.
    Agreed, and for that same reason i can't seem to decide. Peter B. had a beautiful arc in the better written narrative but Insomniac just had that magic of a Peter in that sweetspot of Spider-Man status-quos. Maybe by the end of the 3rd movie and playing the 3rd game i'll be able to pick one, or it might just get harder lol

Astonishing Member

Peter B for me.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I really like them both.

Insomniac Spider-Man is how I wish Peter was written in the comics. tbh
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Peter B. Parker is my Spider-Man yo but Insomic Peter is also (far) better than the current 616 Spidey.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member

Hot take but I don’t like ITSV Peter, he feels like a parody of what what Peter really is
    He’s like a Dreamworks character from 00’s

Insomniac Peter is just okay, he lacks a lot of traits of the original Peter but it’s at least recognizable
    Spectacular is still the best spider-man adaptation
    Last edited by spiderlink; 05-25-2023 at 10:18 AM.

BANNED

A very tough call. Both bring a lot to the table as an adaptation of Peter Parker. Funnily enough, I would say they both bring very opposite things to the character.

Peter B. is very much the older Peter, the schlubby lovable loser who just can't catch a break. Yet, he can't catch a break because he's his own worst enemy. No one really stopping him from having a good, happy life with MJ but his own fears and doubts. He's seen and lost enough people that he just doesn't know if he can handle anymore. He's beaten down, fairly broken as a person and only through Miles, seeing a younger hero go through his own trials and tribulations, does he realize he's got to get his **** together and no one is stopping him but himself. He's the perfect take on Middle-Aged Spider-man. He's just kinda sick of the whole hero thing and going through the motions. It's a really funny, if also very sad, take on the character that feels true to how he's always beaten himself up over every little thing. He's a very good take on an older Spidey who is rather jaded, but still has the heart of a hero buried underneath all that cynicism.

Insomniac Peter is a much younger, still kinda figuring it out version of the character. Sure, he's been at it for a few years now but he still has a lot to learn. As shown throughout the game where he's developing new tech and how through the game he gets stronger (leveling up) where you could explain this in universe as him getting better and better as he goes along. Where Peter B. is the older Spidey, Insomniac Pete is the polar opposite. Still brimming with optimism and excitement. He loves being Spider-man every second.

With all that said, I gotta go with Peter B. from Spider-verse. Beyond the fact that ITSV is my 2nd favorite movie, I feel like this is the most relatable Peter has ever been. At least, for me. I seriously relate to being that guy who is getting older, doesn't know what to do with his life and just wants to lay around eating pizza. Maybe have a good cry in the shower every now and then with a full suit on. Why the hell not. I also really love Jake Johnson's performance. He brings his all (Not to say Yuri doesn't, he's equally amazing) to the role and really sells you on big moments like "Don't you dare say it! I'm sick of it!" (Miles bringing up the Great Power quote to him) or when he says he's so proud of Miles and in that moment he realizes he wants to be a father. Johnson just really nails the subtle character moments that make you believe this IS Peter Parker.

Now if only this was the Peter in the comics, instead of...whoever is headlining ASM right now. I think it's a clone. I can never tell.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    A very tough call. Both bring a lot to the table as an adaptation of Peter Parker. Funnily enough, I would say they both bring very opposite things to the character.

Peter B. is very much the older Peter, the schlubby lovable loser who just can't catch a break. Yet, he can't catch a break because he's his own worst enemy. No one really stopping him from having a good, happy life with MJ but his own fears and doubts. He's seen and lost enough people that he just doesn't know if he can handle anymore. He's beaten down, fairly broken as a person and only through Miles, seeing a younger hero go through his own trials and tribulations, does he realize he's got to get his **** together and no one is stopping him but himself. He's the perfect take on Middle-Aged Spider-man. He's just kinda sick of the whole hero thing and going through the motions. It's a really funny, if also very sad, take on the character that feels true to how he's always beaten himself up over every little thing. He's a very good take on an older Spidey who is rather jaded, but still has the heart of a hero buried underneath all that cynicism.

Insomniac Peter is a much younger, still kinda figuring it out version of the character. Sure, he's been at it for a few years now but he still has a lot to learn. As shown throughout the game where he's developing new tech and how through the game he gets stronger (leveling up) where you could explain this in universe as him getting better and better as he goes along. Where Peter B. is the older Spidey, Insomniac Pete is the polar opposite. Still brimming with optimism and excitement. He loves being Spider-man every second.

With all that said, I gotta go with Peter B. from Spider-verse. Beyond the fact that ITSV is my 2nd favorite movie, I feel like this is the most relatable Peter has ever been. At least, for me. I seriously relate to being that guy who is getting older, doesn't know what to do with his life and just wants to lay around eating pizza. Maybe have a good cry in the shower every now and then with a full suit on. Why the hell not. I also really love Jake Johnson's performance. He brings his all (Not to say Yuri doesn't, he's equally amazing) to the role and really sells you on big moments like "Don't you dare say it! I'm sick of it!" (Miles bringing up the Great Power quote to him) or when he says he's so proud of Miles and in that moment he realizes he wants to be a father. Johnson just really nails the subtle character moments that make you believe this IS Peter Parker.

Now if only this was the Peter in the comics, instead of...whoever is headlining ASM right now. I think it's a clone. I can never tell.
    Like they tried to pull midway through the Clone Saga in the 90s? Yeah . . . nobody in the fandom really took it all that well or lightly, but if they'd known the B.S. that was ahead . . .

On topic, though, Peter B. Parker from the Spider-Verse animated films definitely relates to a lot of us, insofar as being fairly older, rather jaded, and generally worn down by life, which makes it especially rewarding and personally resonant that by the end of the first film, he gets the courage to try again and do better, not just with Mary Jane, but also as a hero. As for Insomniac Games' Peter, he definitely hits the sweet spot between the original high school student/college undergraduate status quo seemingly favored by Marvel editorial/execs for the "youth factor" and the veteran web-slinging hero he's supposed to be by now in the comics proper. Old and experienced enough to know what he's doing and be good at it, young enough still to have that certain boyish charm and enthusiasm.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

They're both phenomenal for different reasons. Playstation Spidey as a whole is an excellent modernization of the mythos and their Peter is a really great dramatic portrayal, but Peter B. is like comfort food or a warm blanket. He's a really charming interpretation of the character and I hope to see more of him and his family in a spin-off.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 05-25-2023 at 03:39 PM.