View Poll Results: Which version of Peter Parker do you prefer?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Peter Parker (Insomniac games)

11 31.43%
  • Peter B. Parker (Spider-verse movies)

24 68.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Insomniac is not my favorite, but I find him way better than Peter B. A character that's kind of meant to be the butt of jokes and never a lead character. The best video game Peter, though not from the best Spider-Man game, I would have to say Edge of Time's Peter.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Peter B. Parker is the Peter people want in the comics.

Peter Parker (Insomniac games) is the Peter people want in the live action movies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Insomniac is not my favorite, but I find him way better than Peter B. A character that's kind of meant to be the butt of jokes and never a lead character. The best video game Peter, though not from the best Spider-Man game, I would have to say Edge of Time's Peter.
    I feel the same way about them too. Insomniac!Spidey felt too green for what was supposed to be an experienced Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I feel the same way about them too. Insomniac!Spidey felt too green for what was supposed to be an experienced Spider-Man.
    I wasn't really trying to dunk on Insomniac Spidey. I think Lowenthal does a great job. My favorite Spidey voice is Keaton. Then Barnes. I actually really like Garfield's Spidey voice too. Particularly with the hint of a New York accent. Maguire's, I'm not really a fan of even though I still appreciate him. Holland, no offense to him at all, but he does not sound like any kind of Spider-Man I'd imagine. I don't dislike Johnson as an actor, and I think he sounds more like Spidey than Holland, but that's a low bar. Which is to say that I don't think Peter B. sounds like Spider-Man. And going back to the thread question, I understand Insomniac Spidey is supposed to be younger than Peter B. Parker, but Lowenthal is older than Johnson and I still think he sounds more like how Peter should sound no matter the age. I feel like there has to be a confidence and snark evident in the voice when he's wearing the mask. And a quality in it that tells you he's smart and can naturally spout off a clever quip or casual but targeted and effective insult to the villain rather than just a bad joke or stupid pop culture reference.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Peter B. Parker is the Peter people want in the comics.
    I think many people here would be livid if the comics had that version.

The movie gave a quick recap of decades of his life, which would have been many more decades in comics publishing. If his story had played out in the comics, then there would have been years of Peter middle-aged, broke from bad investments, divorced, greying, overweight, living in a crummy and messy apartment and suffering from clinical depression.

The movie is a single unit of entertainment, so I think some people ignore a lot of that and focus only on the happy ending. But transplant it to a serialised comic and the same people would hate it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I think many people here would be livid if the comics had that version.

The movie gave a quick recap of decades of his life, which would have been many more decades in comics publishing. If his story had played out in the comics, then there would have been years of Peter middle-aged, broke from bad investments, divorced, greying, overweight, living in a crummy and messy apartment and suffering from clinical depression.

The movie is a single unit of entertainment, so I think some people ignore a lot of that and focus only on the happy ending. But transplant it to a serialised comic and the same people would hate it.
    thats his past, and it's about as crappy as the current stunted spidey in ASM, when he says its the Peter we want he means the bit wher ehe gets over all the things holding him back and moves forward with life, not continually stunted forever

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by scarletspidey View Post
    thats his past, and it's about as crappy as the current stunted spidey in ASM, when he says its the Peter we want he means the bit wher ehe gets over all the things holding him back and moves forward with life, not continually stunted forever
    You're confirming what I said. You're fine with it because it had a happy ending and the years of awful stuff happened off screen. But if those years of awful things played out in the comics, serialised, with no time skips, you wouldn't like it.

ITSV's Peter was in a far worse position than the current comics version. He was suffering from heavy, heavy depression. Crying in the bathtub in costume with the shower running depression.

Well, yes. People aren't opposed to depressed Peter who has lost things as such. They're opposed to depressed loser Peter as the status quo with no narrative way out. People like the issues of Straczynski's run where Peter and MJ aren't together because the run presents that as a state of affairs to be overcome. People wouldn't want the relationship to be in jeopardy every single run, but looking at a marriage or relationship under strain is perfectly good material for a good story.
    One expects Peter to be on the verge of losing most of his battles, and even to actually lose one or two, so that he can pick himself up and come back with a clever plan to win. Nobody wants Peter to never be in danger of losing. But nobody wants Peter to habitually lose either.
    A heroic narrative should generally be based around the question, how can they get out of this? (Not will they get out of this, which is a common mistake made by people who talk about there having to be stakes.)
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Mighty Member

Peter B. is basically a parody of the Post-OMD Spider-man comics. Yeah he's depressed about losing his marriage to Mary Jane but it's so blatantly exaggerated (crying in a bathtub, getting fat) that it's played for laughs instead of something to be taken seriously. Its like they took all of the fan complaints about Post-OMD Spider-man being a "loser" or "manchild" and dialed it up to one million. So, in that regard, it resonates with the fandom.

The story is also about him starting at a place of failure and then pulling himself out of it and succeeding. That's his character arc in the first film. If the story had the opposite trajectory (as in the comics), or if the character remained a depressed "loser" for the duration of the trilogy, yeah people probably wouldn't like it as much.

However, Peter B. getting back with and having a child with Mary Jane isn't even his "ending" so to speak since he attains that by the beginning of the second film (in the middle of a trilogy.)
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 05-26-2023 at 05:23 AM.

Mighty Member

But anyway there are several reasons why comic fans like Peter B. and Spider-Verse's take so much:
    - It satirizes the current comic books.
    - It showcases a Peter Parker that is significantly older than any prior appearance in other media (and what editorial have allowed him to be in the mainstream comics.)
    - It actually allows Peter to suffer the emotional consequences of losing his marriage.
    - It reinforces Mary Jane's significance to Peter.
    - Mid-story, it reunites Peter with Mary Jane and gives them a daughter (something that some fans have wanted since the 90s.)

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    A heroic narrative should generally be based around the question, how can they get out of this? (Not will they get out of this, which is a common mistake made by people who talk about there having to be stakes.)
    This is the kind of rhetoric I wish Marvel believed in more strongly.

The status quo should NOT be “Peter suffers”. Peter should struggle, but those struggles should be the interruption of the status quo of his happiness and stability, otherwise it’s just pathetic and depressing. And as you said, the struggle should beg the question “how does he overcome it?”

It’s why something like OMD still tastes so sour. The devil won. There was no victory. No catharsis. And more importantly, no character growth to learn from that failure and do better. It was like the “Infinity War snap” without us ever getting the “Endgame portals”.

Astonishing Member

Peter B. is the JMS Peter if he aged poorly (at least until ATSV comes out), while Insomniac Pete is the Stern/DeFalco Pete but with cornier and not-as-good quips. Those are both my praises and critiques of these versions.

Overall, I'll go with Peter B. as he seems a tad bit closer to 616 than Insomniac Pete does.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    You're confirming what I said. You're fine with it because it had a happy ending and the years of awful stuff happened off screen. But if those years of awful things played out in the comics, serialised, with no time skips, you wouldn't like it.

ITSV's Peter was in a far worse position than the current comics version. He was suffering from heavy, heavy depression. Crying in the bathtub in costume with the shower running depression.
    we have a Peter going through a crap situation that his story arc is perfect for, when people say that they would like Peter B in the comics they mean what we actually saw in the film and him rising up growing and moving forwards, the stuff you describe was less than 30 seconds out of the whole movie

as for the position he was in when we met him I am personally pretty sure it was taking the piss out of comics Peter Parker...

Fantastic Member

Peter B. wins it for me.
    Insomniac Pete is a good interpretation, but he’s a little too squeaky clean. None of the prickliness that I associate with Peter Parker in the comics. Give him a little bit of hot-headedness and spend a little more time on his quips, and he’d maybe take the throne.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    Peter B. wins it for me.
    Insomniac Pete is a good interpretation, but he’s a little too squeaky clean. None of the prickliness that I associate with Peter Parker in the comics. Give him a little bit of hot-headedness and spend a little more time on his quips, and he’d maybe take the throne.
    The prickliness makes Peter immature to me so I don’t miss it.