Page 30 of 97 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    People forgetting he just woke from that Knight Terrors nonsense, he also snapped at Montoya when she started on his case and he even acknowledged he's in a bad state.
    And Montoya is still being unnecessarily harsh to vigilantes for, like, no explained reason.

Can it be considered OOC if it's in a canonical comic book? I think a lot of people take to themselves the ideal of how a character should act, but DC clearly thinks differently. I myself see Tom Taylor writing Dick in a way completely how I would expect him to act (based on past runs), but the character is what DC (publisher and writer) want him to be.
    Jason is a character that readers talk about a lot, but clearly DC's vision for the character is different. Because DC thinks of characters as roles, in this case roles in Batman's myths and stories, they're going to be what the story needs.
    You can criticize whether it was good or bad, but you can't say it's not the character.

Extraordinary Member

Batman #137 Preview
    Writer: Chip Zdarsky
    Artist: Jorge Jimenez

Astonishing Member

Jeez, he's really going crazy.

I know Batman's going all "Crazy Steve" and taking criminals down excessively, yet I can't help but root for him to take down Selina and her entire operation and all the female criminals .

In that first page Batman appears he looks almost exactly like how Tim Sale drew him.

Oh, distract him with his "greatest mistake." Come off it Selina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Can it be considered OOC if it's in a canonical comic book? I think a lot of people take to themselves the ideal of how a character should act, but DC clearly thinks differently. I myself see Tom Taylor writing Dick in a way completely how I would expect him to act (based on past runs), but the character is what DC (publisher and writer) want him to be.
    Jason is a character that readers talk about a lot, but clearly DC's vision for the character is different. Because DC thinks of characters as roles, in this case roles in Batman's myths and stories, they're going to be what the story needs.
    You can criticize whether it was good or bad, but you can't say it's not the character.
    I think the problem is writers keep regressing Jason and ignoring stories that came before. He probably has it the worst of the Batfamily save for Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know Batman's going all "Crazy Steve" and taking criminals down excessively, yet I can't help but root for him to take down Selina and her entire operation and all the female criminals .

In that first page Batman appears he looks almost exactly like how Tim Sale drew him.

Oh, distract him with his "greatest mistake." Come off it Selina.

I think the problem is writers keep regressing Jason and ignoring stories that came before. He probably has it the worst of the Batfamily save for Bruce.
    You had to make it weird. Like, sorry, but it simply sounds like you have issues with women.

Astonishing Member

It will quickly stop being fun, when Zur completely takes over and seriously hurts Selina, Jason or anyone else from the family. Obviously, that's where everything is going.

Also, many fans also call Jason (and his death) Bruce's greatest mistake. It's a legitimate take. You guys are getting whiny, nitpicky and ridiculous again. No wonder that comic readers are often seen as laughable.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    He's also dealing with a split personality trying to take over his mind. That's going to take a toll on him and this situation is only aggravating him further.
    Having him act like a petulant child isn't a great way for the writers to convey this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    People forgetting he just woke from that Knight Terrors nonsense, he also snapped at Montoya when she started on his case and he even acknowledged he's in a bad state.
    Except he left his personal nightmare being more well adjusted and realizing that he needed to be more open and accepting with his family. It's just bad writing, there's no excuse for it.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It will quickly stop being fun, when Zur completely takes over and seriously hurts Selina, Jason or anyone else from the family. Obviously, that's where everything is going.
    This already happened, when Bruce had Clark's powers. He hurts Selina and Dick comes into play, Bruce almost kills Dick. Despite the absurdity, I like this story, I wanted to see the implications of events. Alfred says he can never forgive Bruce, even though he knows he's out of control for other reasons.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Precisely because is a canon story is why is considered OOC. As a reader, you expect the characters to act consistently with the way they are being written in other books currently published or to their previous appearances in case they aren't in any book, when the characters start acting irrationally just so the story can work then is OOC.

Non-canon stories aren't expected to follow this because you assume form the get-go that the characters aren't the same ones you've been reading every month for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    Also, many fans also call Jason (and his death) Bruce's greatest mistake. It's a legitimate take. You guys are getting whiny, nitpicky and ridiculous again. No wonder that comic readers are often seen as laughable.
    You are completely missing the point, we Jason fans are getting upset at his handling in this story because he once again is being reduced to a plot device instead of being a character with agency. Yes, Jason's death is widely considered to be Bruce's biggest failure but that doesn't mean that is everything Jason is.

Anyways, looking at that preview, it seems like not even Zdarsky and Howard can keep the writing consistent between issues. Bruce insanity went from 0 to 100 offscreen and Selina immediately calling for Jason is at odds with the way Jason had to force his way into Selina's plans in the one shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    You had to make it weird. Like, sorry, but it simply sounds like you have issues with women.
    I didn't mean it to come off like that, I just don't like how Selina is being written lately and I can't really feel bad about Bruce locking up Fright or Scorpiana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    The Batfamily stuff is going to be bad, but I can't really muster any sympathy for Selina at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Having him act like a petulant child isn't a great way for the writers to convey this.
    But it is their usual go-to.
    Except he left his personal nightmare being more well adjusted and realizing that he needed to be more open and accepting with his family. It's just bad writing, there's no excuse for it.
    It seemed like he still had some concerns though, like a part of his brain knew things were about to blow up on him even when they seemed fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    He's also dealing with a split personality trying to take over his mind. That's going to take a toll on him and this situation is only aggravating him further.
    I didn't mean it to come off like that, I just don't like how Selina is being written lately and I can't really feel bad about Bruce locking up Fright or Scorpiana.

The Batfamily stuff is going to be bad, but I can't really muster any sympathy for Selina at this point.

But it is their usual go-to.

It seemed like he still had some concerns though, like a part of his brain knew things were about to blow up on him even when they seemed fine.
    It literally ended with him hugging "himself" and talking about his family and this was the exact opposite of that. For all the hate I have for Knight Terrors that ending was a good move and that it's just not lined up with this is a shame.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It literally ended with him hugging "himself" and talking about his family and this was the exact opposite of that. For all the hate I have for Knight Terrors that ending was a good move and that it's just not lined up with this is a shame.
    I was thinking more of what happened to him in the past few issues of Zdarksy's run.

I was thinking more of what happened to him in the past few issues of Zdarksy's run.
    Yes, but the big event(as bad as it was) changed that. But heck, even that aside the his reaction was still really poorly written. There just isn't a way to hand wave away a child like temper tantrum as an appropriate reaction for Batman. "
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 09-01-2023 at 10:58 AM.