Page 31 of 97 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

I disagree, from the preview, Bruce is out of his mind trying to arrest everyone before someone makes a mistake and ends up dead.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post

Except he left his personal nightmare being more well adjusted and realizing that he needed to be more open and accepting with his family. It's just bad writing, there's no excuse for it.
    Is that what happened? Cuz as someone that skipped Knight Terrors that wasn't the impression I got from the sequence of Bruce waking up from his coma.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Is that what happened? Cuz as someone that skipped Knight Terrors that wasn't the impression I got from the sequence of Bruce waking up from his coma.
    Yeah, it was Bruce literally hugging his inner child and telling him about how he wasn't alone and how empowering it was to have a tight family. The event was garbage on the whole but that one scene was one of the few decent spots. But again, as I said, even if we didn't get that scene of Bruce smiling and relishing in how the love of his family made him whole, the scene here would still be poorly written.

It's like the scene in Batman Vs. Superman where it takes learning that Superman's mom is named Martha too in order to trust Superman, it sounds like something you'd think was a profound character moment when you were twelve but for anyone with any actual emotional maturity just feels so shallow.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 09-01-2023 at 12:31 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Yeah, it was Bruce literally hugging his inner child and telling him about how he wasn't alone and how empowering it was to have a tight family. The event was garbage on the whole but that one scene was one of the few decent spots. But again, as I said, even if we didn't get that scene of Bruce smiling and relishing in how the love of his family made him whole, the scene here would still be poorly written.

It's like the scene in Batman Vs. Superman where it takes learning that Superman's mom is named Martha too in order to trust Superman, it sounds like something you'd think was a profound character moment when you were twelve but for anyone with any actual emotional maturity just feels so shallow.
    That's the thing, Bruce isn't being written as having that kind of maturity.

And yeah, Gotham War is at odds with Bruce's characterization in Knight Terrors (and nearly other book where Bruce's shows up) but is clear that DC's editors just don't care.

Batman is the flagship, so it's the others who have to follow.

Flagship where the writer can only think of riffing on Grant Morrison and other stories doing an average job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Flagship where the writer can only think of riffing on Grant Morrison and other stories doing an average job of it.
    This is an opinion. I love Morrison's run and I'm enjoying how Zdarsky is working, and apparently readers in general too.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

That's debatable, if you look around for impressions online you'll see growing criticism of Zdarsky's work. And the Batman book, in general, has been in decline since King took over, I can't remember the book creating the same hype that Court of Owls or Endgame caused during the N52.

Incredible Member

Question: whatever happened to Failsafe?

I dropped the book when Bruce went to the alternate dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Question: whatever happened to Failsafe?

I dropped the book when Bruce went to the alternate dimension.
    Didn't Failsafe like teleport or fly off? I guess Zdarsky will probably deal with him again later.

Sure, he's going to have a reaction to "eat the rich"...but screaming about his parents like a toddler? That's not Batman, it's just poor writing.
    I disagree with Batman's reaction being childish. I do agree with poor writing being the general theme for what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't Failsafe like teleport or fly off? I guess Zdarsky will probably deal with him again later.
    From what I recall, Failsafe flew off after he thought Batman was eliminated. IMO, Zdarsky made Failsafe too powerful.

If there is a list for worst comic book events of 2023, this will be in the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Dick and Babs go back to Bludhaven, and Selina leaves the city, but will be appearing in 'Tec.
    No idea about Jason, Tim, Steph and Duke, because they don't have any series.
    Ah, ok. For some reason I expected there to be a plan for all of them.

Batman & Robin - Bruce, Damian
    'Tec - Selina, Bruce
    Nightwing - Dick, Babs
    Outsiders - Kate, Luke
    Birds of Prey - Cass

??? - Jason, Tim, Steph, Duke