Page 26 of 97 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Selina and Renee seemed grouchy to the point of being OOC, and Jason signed-up way too fast.
    spoilers:
    Plus, it was weird that Selina called him by name in front of her team of Blackgate escapees.
    end of spoilers But it was entertaining at least.

She didn't actually take sides.

spoilers:
    She just looked introspective and commented that Selina's plan seemed to be working.
    end of spoilers

She also didn't take sides. In fact she didn't get a line of dialogue.
    Yeah, both of those were better in context than the description made them sound. Still not good, really, but not horrible.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Whats so dumb is treating this like its some grand solution. Its a short-term bandage, barely a bandage really, at best.

Selina isn't engaging in any systematic changes, she isn't make things better for the common man, all she's done is just creating her own mafia. This is literally what the mob does, bring in average joes and psychos to steal from others especially the guys with lots of money and pocket for themselves.

The only way this can theoretically work is if they work like a mosquito, only squeezing the bare minimum that the bigger guys don't notice whats being taken but they obviously aren't doing that and so the rich fucks are gonna react.

Thats what pisses me off, its treating this as some grand solution to a huge systematic problem. Its like that Ra's Al Ghul One Bad Day issue by Tom Taylor where Ra's grand scheme to save the world is to kill the CEO's and replace them with his men. Ignoring literally every other problem with the system of capitalism by acting like all you need is to install good people in charge.

It be one thing if Selina was just starting her own thieves guild, thats fun. But treating this as some grand victory Batman's never achieved is fucking stupid.
    And she acts like Bruce doesn't do anything but punch criminals and waste money on Batman when we know he does more than that.

Also, it's not "compassionate" to train people to be better criminals like you, because robbing people is not known for compassion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    You know what this wasn't? Two months of fill-in where a character is stuck in a consequence-free dream where they meet zombies.

10/10, refreshing.
    But with all the bad characterization in this comic, they may as well be zombies.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Wow, this was pretty darn poor. Who heard this pitch and thought it sounded good?

Poor characterization pretty much all around, a dumb, paper thin scheme that makes zero sense when you spend a second thinking about it(robbing from the rich is okay?) and the art was just barely decent.

Between Dark Crisis, Knight terrors and now this I don't really get where the editors are and how these books are getting out. You'd think some where down the line someone would have said, "Is this really what we're putting out?"
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 08-30-2023 at 02:59 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Wow, this was pretty darn poor. Who heard this pitch and thought it sounded good?
    Probably someone who doesn't know the history of the Bat family and assuming folks won't think for themselves of how silly this sounds.

We will ALWAYS have crime.

What Batman and family is doing is let try to make sure certain crimes don't happen or end up deadly.

Pick your poison.

All-New Member

This had the most off putting art I've seen in a main event book possibly ever. Just trash.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    This may be the first time ever that I thought a writer is bringing their personal politics into a story.
    Zdarsky's run on Daredevil makes it pretty clear what his politics are, IMHO (it's a great run, btw. I'm enjoying his Batman run, but really not to the same extent).

"Crime is okay if done to the rich" and "crime shouldn't be punished"
    DD convinced Mr. Fantastic to let a petty criminal go because DD wasn't convinced the way the legal system handled petty crime and those who commit it did anyone any good (including the general public).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Zdarsky's run on Daredevil makes it pretty clear what his politics are, IMHO (it's a great run, btw. I'm enjoying his Batman run, but really not to the same extent).

DD convinced Mr. Fantastic to let a petty criminal go because DD wasn't convinced the way the legal system handled petty crime and those who commit it did anyone any good (including the general public).
    Yeah but it makes sense for Matt to be like that it's in his character and it sounds like him it's natural sounding, and he's a defense attorney so it's completely in character, but not here.

Here it's like a lecture from a college kid.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 08-30-2023 at 05:49 PM.

And Marvel New York isn't Gotham.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post

Poor characterization pretty much all around, a dumb, paper thin scheme that makes zero sense when you spend a second thinking about it(robbing from the rich is okay?) and the art was just barely decent.

Between Dark Crisis, Knight terrors and now this I don't really get where the editors are and how these books are getting out. You'd think some where down the line someone would have said, "Is this really what we're putting out?"
    Stealing from rich people is ok cuz they're all evil.

/s
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

Yeah but it makes sense for Matt to be like that it's in his character and it sounds like him it's natural sounding, and he's a defense attorney so it's completely in character, but not here.
    Although the plan is clearly faulty, I can see things from her perspective, which I've thought more often than not would be similar to hers (especially since they've both had one of the best writers in comics writing each of their respective titles - Ed Brubaker).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Although the plan is clearly faulty, I can see things from her perspective, which I've thought more often than not would be similar to hers (especially since they've both had one of the best writers in comics writing each of their respective titles - Ed Brubaker).
    I'm confused, what does Brubaker have to do with anything? Zdarsky and Howard are writing this...

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Stealing from rich people is ok cuz they're all evil.

/s
    Its interesting that we have maybe reached peak of the endless deconstructions of Batman where its pretty much "rich people are bad so we can do whatever we want" by this point.

And the fan response is basically "Yes we know rich people suck but stop dragging a fictional character into this. The story's not well-written even with the message your pushing".

Plus add in some girlboss feminism where Howard is trying to write Catwoman as a liberated woman but the response is the opposite "Being empowered doesn't excuse you from being a terrible person and doing stuff that wouldn't/shouldn't be accepted when a man does it either."

It's just an excuse to get them to fight, and then split them up to change the status quo. Such a pity that most (if not all) of the characters will come out of this looking stupid.

As it always was in the comics.

She sells apparently, and the twitterati love her
    The reaction to this on twitter has been universally negative.