Page 18 of 97 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    It is not an entity.
    That's what I'm talking about. Visually it is similar, and may have been inspired by Naruto. Why would that be a problem?
    Because it shows a blatant misunderstanding of the concept of Zur-En Arrh, watering it down into a ripoff of a popular manga.

This arc being worked on all year, Zur is not showing up right now. And again, it's visual. He is wearing something that is visually similar to Naruto.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    At the same time, though, people hate it when you try anything new. These boards are full of posts saying "how dare they even try this when I told them I wanted these three same stories over and over again until the end of time!"
    But also not all attempts at new stuff are good ideas/executed well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But also not all attempts at new stuff are good ideas/executed well.
    Agreed, but lately it seems that almost all new ideas are rejected by readers. And I'd say at least half of the ideas that both the Big 2 have presented readers with didn't deserve the vitriol they got.

Hell, it seems like a significant chunk of them win Eisner's while still being hated by fans. lol
    Last edited by phonogram12; 08-25-2023 at 02:10 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Agreed, but lately it seems that almost all new ideas are rejected by readers. And I'd say at least half of the ideas that both the Big 2 have presented readers with didn't deserve the vitriol they got.

Hell, it seems like a significant chunk of them win Eisner's while still being hated by fans. lol
    I think it's a case-by-case basis. Sometimes I feel like people are more accepting of different stuff if they're less continuity/character inclined to what happens, which is sometimes why the new ideas are unpopular to begin with.

At least in my experience.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's a case-by-case basis. Sometimes I feel like people are more accepting of different stuff if they're less continuity/character inclined to what happens, which is sometimes why the new ideas are unpopular to begin with.

At least in my experience.
    I honestly think the more continuity a character has behind them the more they need new ideas to freshen them up. Otherwise, the characters just get stale.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I honestly think the more continuity a character has behind them the more they need new ideas to freshen them up. Otherwise, the characters just get stale.
    Maybe, but it can be daunting trying to come up with a new idea that fits them in my opinion.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I've actually loved a lot of the "new" ideas. Lady Thor was one of my favorite Thor runs for instance, Dick Grayson as a spy was really cool and so was his turn as Batman.

Superman revealing his identity though? Or Jon being aged up? Not so much, but again that comes down to the writing not the ideas themselves. Interesting stories could have been done with those concepts...they just didn't happen.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I've actually loved a lot of the "new" ideas. Lady Thor was one of my favorite Thor runs for instance, Dick Grayson as a spy was really cool and so was his turn as Batman.

Superman revealing his identity though? Or Jon being aged up? Not so much, but again that comes down to the writing not the ideas themselves. Interesting stories could have been done with those concepts...they just didn't happen.
    I agree with you on everything except Jane Thor .

But again, case-by-case basis.

So what was the last new idea for Bruce that fans accepted?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    People generally seemed excited to see him and Selina get married. That’s the only “new” idea I can think of honestly. Maybe Bat-Gordon from Snyder’s run or the Court of Owls.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    The Court of Owls and before that, Damian.

Astonishing Member

Well, Damian was extremely hated at the beginning. People started to like him only when Morrison made him and Dick a new Dynamic Duo, and Tomasi's Batman and Robin did the rest.

Spectacular Member

I wonder who's gonna side with who in this? Nightwing, and Jason, no doubt on Selena's, but for certain, Bruce would still need someone to back him up until the end where the Batfamily breaks apart.

Quote Originally Posted by saiyan_earthling View Post
    I wonder who's gonna side with who in this? Nightwing, and Jason, no doubt on Selena's, but for certain, Bruce would still need someone to back him up until the end where the Batfamily breaks apart.
    I think its pretty challenging to decide who would take what side because most of the batfamily ought to be loyal enough to Bruce to take his side.

We know that Catwoman approaches Red Hood and it seems that she sways him over to her point of view. We also know that Nightwing and Batman fight so I think we can safely put both of them on Selina's side. I think Barbara is more than likely to remain on Batman's side and I do not see her supporting potentially helping criminals become better thieves even if it does reduce violent crime. I always remember in Nightwing 3 she states "if you rob from the rich to give to the poor you will be a criminal" to nightwing who she believed was entering a 'Robin Hood Phase'. I also think Damian will take Bruce's side because they are going to have a positive relationship in Batman and Robin. Tim has been getting some focus in Zdarsky's run so I have a feeling he will remain on Bruce's side.

Everyone else is a little bit more tricky. I think they will split the batgirls up just to even out the sides. So I suspect Cass will be on one side and Steph on the other. I think they mentioned Batwing and Batwoman were going to be sitting on the sidelines and that the conflict leads to them becoming disillusioned with the batfamily leading to whatever they end up doing in Outsiders. Unfortunately that leaves Duke and while I would put him on the same side as Cass who he seems to be closest to in the batfamily I have a feeling he may be on team Catwoman to balance the scales.

Catwoman's side

• Catwoman
    • Red Hood
    • Nightwing
    • Batgirl (Steph)
    • Signal

Batman's side

• Batman
    • Batgirl
    • Robin (Tim)
    • Robin (Damian)
    • Batgirl (Cass)