Page 57 of 97 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast

Gotham War isn't about breaking up Batcat. Yeah DC and WB really what King was doing and likely they wanted to get as far away from his writing as possible but that not the reason why they'dpush everyone aside.

It's also nothing to do with Damian. I know a lot of fans are thinking that because Gunn is going to feature Damian then there'd be synergy.

Synergy comes after the movie's successful not before. Nothing happening with Damian is to do with Damian.

Again Gotham War predates Gunn's announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I find it funny how desperate some are to pin this on Tini that they come with the most nonsensical reasons.

DC sacrifices it's biggest earner and a few of it's best IP's for Catwoman sales!

That's not how it works. The Catwoman writer doesn't pitch ideas that will impact the entire batman line. Tini isn't the lead writer of the Bat office. She doesn't have that type of power and Catwoman has never been a high seller. He sales under Tinoi are just regular even better than some.

This is all the brainchild of the Batoffice and if past accounts are to be believed then Tini wasn't even invited to the meeting.

Gotham War wasn't rished. Where are you getting that from? It has been teased and set up for ages. Right from the start of Chip's batman
    I’m saying it’s seems rushed to me cause of how many holes there are in Selina’s plan. Like what will she do if all the rich people move out of Gotham? Or start hiring private security or get the court of owls involved? How many cat burglars can Gotham really support? Am I supposed to believe this is a solution that’ll work long term? It just serves to make her character look like a massive moron. And a good writer who had time to plan this out would at least address those kinds of questions. Also the characterization seems out of touch from what both books were previously doing. Bruce was encouraging catwoman in her book before this, and in Batman 136 and battle lines Selina is written as weirdly hostile to Bruce with no justification.

It's total batoffice, 80% of the batfam is lost and has no reason to exist. The event gives them a role and perhaps a direction to follow.

Extraordinary Member

I find it funny how desperate some are to pin this on Tini that they come with the most nonsensical reasons.
    At least the build up to this "plan" has been going on in her book for quite some time, if that was her idea or the idea of someone else is of course hard to say.

This is all the brainchild of the Batoffice and if past accounts are to be believed then Tini wasn't even invited to the meeting.
    Hard to say, I think her books felt as at least like they were more connected with what was going on in the Franchise, than the books of the writer who complained about not being invited.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Do Zdarsky and Howard not talk to each other?

In Catwoman we have Selina stating she doesn't intend to have Jason and Bruce face each other because she knows that will only escalate things more but in Batman she straight up calls Jason to use him as bait and keep Bruce distracted. And speaking of Jason I still hate the way he is being used here, Howard has a very superficial read on his character, and his saying that he is fine with Selina's actions and parroting her justification still comes as shallow. Ironically, she's writing the most human Bruce has been towards Jason since Lobdell (Bruce calling him his soldier aside), it is really frustrating that Bruce is for once trying to reach out to Jason instead of simply beating the crap out of him and yet is still being framed as a bad thing.
    It does come across like Zdarsky is going in one direction and Howard is going in the other direction thus defeating the purpose to this crossover. I still don't like the way Jason is being used here either but at least Howard is adding a much needed human approach to this current rift Jason has with Bruce. I like how despite whatever, Bruce is not going to give up on Jason. That's the Batman I want to see more of. Thus far, I think Jason is just using his holy alliance with Selina as an excuse to commit crime and I think that's worth exploring. But the best thing to come out of all of this is Vandal Savage, whoever came up with the idea to feature him during this deserves kudos.

I wonder how far Savage will go in taking over, will he go after Wayne Industries next? I liked the interactions Savage had with both Bruce and Selina, he made them both feel like underdogs which is ironic given the current set of circumstances. Wouldn't surprise me if Selina takes Savage up on his offer, given the way she's been behaving as of late. Even though I slightly prefer Howard's take over Zdarsky's, this Gotham War is still a bust.

Gotham War isn't about breaking up Batcat. Yeah DC and WB really what King was doing and likely they wanted to get as far away from his writing as possible but that not the reason why they'dpush everyone aside.

It's also nothing to do with Damian. I know a lot of fans are thinking that because Gunn is going to feature Damian then there'd be synergy.

Synergy comes after the movie's successful not before. Nothing happening with Damian is to do with Damian.

Again Gotham War predates Gunn's announcement.
    Not always. Sometimes Marvel puts a certain character in the spotlight or make them more prominent when they have a movie coming out or it's clear there are plans for them even when the movie hasn't premier yet.

Like their big Eternals push.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    I’m saying it’s seems rushed to me cause of how many holes there are in Selina’s plan. Like what will she do if all the rich people move out of Gotham? Or start hiring private security or get the court of owls involved? How many cat burglars can Gotham really support? Am I supposed to believe this is a solution that’ll work long term? It just serves to make her character look like a massive moron. And a good writer who had time to plan this out would at least address those kinds of questions. Also the characterization seems out of touch from what both books were previously doing. Bruce was encouraging catwoman in her book before this, and in Batman 136 and battle lines Selina is written as weirdly hostile to Bruce with no justification.
    The mention about Selina teaching them to steal cars got me questioning how do they profit off their stuff.

Assuming most of what they steal is stuff like jewelry, silverware, and all that ****, who are they going to fence this too? Its always going to be hot.

Plus another problem with stealing cars is that rich people will obviously have then insured meaning they'll only benefit from their theft thanks to the insurance companies. And even then not every good looking care is owned by a rich person, sometimes it really just a guy who worked his ass off to pay for their dream-car. Meaning its always the little guy who suffers from this.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I think it's more about setting apart Bruce and Damian with Bat-Family.
    That’s dumb there nothing Bruce could do to make them all turn away. Dicks already at a point where he is content to help Bruce when he needs it but also not kill himself chasing a mad man. We’re ina status quo that doesn’t need big secret to make everyone turn on you. This isn’t 2012 death of the family.

I blame this obsession with Bat-event stories. It's been diminishing returns since Joker War.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I blame this obsession with Bat-event stories. It's been diminishing returns since Joker War.
    It was way before Joker War IMO. But that was certainly when it went from feeling like an eye rolling event with repetitive beats every year to the exact same story happening semi-annually.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    I don't think that it was slapped together last minute considering that bleedingcool already talked about this crossover in march.

As for the purpose of the event: breaking up Batman and Catwoman and finally putting King's run behind them. Tynion confirmed that DC told him to break them up and since then several writers have been working towards just that.
    Wow, has the parallels between Batman and Spider-man ever been this close?

I like how they said to do that and then Geoff Johns brings their kid from the future and she mentions that she doesn't want to be in Gotham right now because you(Bruce) and mom are going to be having a disagreement. (Or something to that effect). heh

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think someone (Williamson I think) said that the reason there are so many Batman events is because today's creative teams all grew up in the 90s, with events like Knightfall and No Man's Land, and so they think that's the way to write stories about Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I think someone (Williamson I think) said that the reason there are so many Batman events is because today's creative teams all grew up in the 90s, with events like Knightfall and No Man's Land, and so they think that's the way to write stories about Batman.
    Maybe. It just feels like they were better spaced out and at least had different premises than another war in Gotham.

Spectacular Member

Detective feels like a totally different book, and it is not involved in this crossover at all…nor is Nightwing. Just Batman and Catwoman and the 1 shots. No real continuity at all.