Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 47879394959697
Results 1,441 to 1,453 of 1453
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    There are unfortunately a lot bad runs of Catwoman, but I think Ann Nocenti's was still the worst.
    I enjoyed most everything up until this latest issue. Just the slightest inkling of Selina returning to her '90s costume is enough to put me off. With the exception of Michelle Pfiefer and TAS, that decade did her no favors.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I enjoyed most everything up until this latest issue. Just the slightest inkling of Selina returning to her '90s costume is enough to put me off. With the exception of Michelle Pfiefer and TAS, that decade did her no favors.
    I remember it being fun in it's own way, but I feel like it's far from the worst creative choice in that run (cough)Valmont(cough).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I remember it being fun in it's own way, but I feel like it's far from the worst creative choice in that run (cough)Valmont(cough).
    Have to disagree with you there. I literally have a physical reaction to '90s era Catwoman.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Have to disagree with you there. I literally have a physical reaction to '90s era Catwoman.
    I enjoy it for what it is .

Extraordinary Member

I enjoy it for what it is .
    Like I said in another thread, the '90s belong where it is. No need to resuscitate one of the worst decades in comics. And while I freely admit there were a few bright spots (Kingdom Come, JLA, Vertigo, the introduction of Harley Quinn, etc.), Catwoman was not one of them.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 12-07-2023 at 04:47 PM.

Like I said in another thread, the '90s belong where it is. No need to resuscitate one of the worst decades in comics. And while I freely admit there were a few bright spots (Kingdom Come, JLA, Vertigo, the introduction of Harley Quinn, etc.), Catwoman was not one of them.
    I think there was more good in the 90's than people give it credit for (and a lot of excess and bad, but still).

I think for what it was trying to do, 90's Catwoman was fine. It might not have been everyone's cup of tea, but it had an identity and could be fun.

Extraordinary Member

I think that the 90’s were actually great for most of DC’s books and brands - partially because I think DC wound up absorbing serious writers and giving them more power and authority by default, since Marvel got so heavily reliant on artists over writers, and then some of those same artists split off to create Image, all while Marvel played the biggest part on the speculation boom that killed much of the industry. In contrast, DC was already deconstructing the 90’s Anti-Heroes with Knightfall, and using the big events like Death of Superman for successful brand expansion, all while guys like Mark Waid and Peter David got to really flex their muscles with whatever books they got their hands on.

It wasn’t equally dispersed, mind you - the Batman and Superman books did amazingly well compared to Wonder Woman not, Flash was magnificent while Green Lantern committed the unforced but well executed error of Emerald Twilight, while Justice League and Teen Titans books had a sort of back and forth between meh and legendary excellence.

With Catwoman herself, though, the book was massively inconsistent in quality thanks to being one of the rare artists-dominated books at DC at the time… and Balent’s art got more exaggerated and eventually somewhat grotesque by the end. The best stuff was penned by guys like Dixon or Ostrander, while the general stuff was more excuse plot.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

I think there was more good in the 90's than people give it credit for (and a lot of excess and bad, but still).

I think for what it was trying to do, 90's Catwoman was fine. It might not have been everyone's cup of tea, but it had an identity and could be fun.
    IDK, I just remember walking by it on the stands and being embarrassed by it. Balent's art was just so vulgar it tainted whatever story the book was trying to tell.

I got bored with this event and couldn't be bothered with the second half. So what's the status of the Bat-Family now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    I got bored with this event and couldn't be bothered with the second half. So what's the status of the Bat-Family now?
    Selina is public thought dead (except Bruce knows) and has left Gotham. Savage now owns and lives in Wayne Manor and the meteor has ensured that he is trapped in Gotham if he wants to continue living; he is currently working to establish himself as the new King of Gotham. Bruce has gone solo as he deals with the final parts of the Zur en Ar storyline but we know he will end up working with Damien in a new Batman and Robin duo. Its business as usual for the rest of the family. Do not know the current repercussions for Jason.

Like I said in another thread, the '90s belong where it is. No need to resuscitate one of the worst decades in comics.
    That ship has sailed. If anything, DC has been doubling down on the problems of the 90s since the mid-2000s while killing off the good ideas. This event is far more emblematic of everything that was wrong with the 90s than Selina's purple suit.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthborn View Post
    Do not know the current repercussions for Jason.
    He got "cured" of what bruce did to him by a dose of Joker toxin, appart from that it is not really clear what is in for him next.
    His next mini is set in the past and a direct continuation of the last Red Hood and the Outlaws series.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthborn View Post
    Selina is public thought dead (except Bruce knows) and has left Gotham. Savage now owns and lives in Wayne Manor and the meteor has ensured that he is trapped in Gotham if he wants to continue living; he is currently working to establish himself as the new King of Gotham. Bruce has gone solo as he deals with the final parts of the Zur en Ar storyline but we know he will end up working with Damien in a new Batman and Robin duo. Its business as usual for the rest of the family. Do not know the current repercussions for Jason.
    Ok, thanks.