Page 49 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: ASM #26 Preview

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    This "event" is getting more bad reviews than a lot of the other "similar" deaths.

Here's another to add to the list:
    https://gizmodo.com/amazing-spider-m...mcu-1850491227

I'm sure Marvel is used to fans freaking out about anything they don't like, but all the reviews are either cautiously neutral or outright negative in how they approached this one.
    I'm always happy to see bad books get their comeuppaance but it's disappointing to me how the Kamala part is the only part that's getting shredded. I mean, that part is bad too but there' so much more to hate here!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but it was pointed out how utterly irrelevant and random she was in the book up to this point and how she really had no real reason to be in this book. It didn't use her that well or make her fit and then suddenly she gets offed.

It just didn't fit.

I feel like people felt something more than pure apathy and cynicism like they do with this, especially because they were better written. I haven't seen people that curious or invested beyond being, again, cynically aware that they're probably doing this to align her with the MCU and make her a Mutant (which comes with its own problems). People have just been focusing on how badly Marvel is handling this.
    Then let's wait and see if it sells better than Ms. Marvel: Beyond the Limit did.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, if this is Marvel's idea of hyping a series up, then I don't think they're doing a great job of it. I don't really see anyone who looks at big death and rebirth events and thinks "We should do this with another character!"
    They've been doing it for decades.

BANNED

I still just can't take issue 25 at face value like it seems we're supposed to. 26 only revealed the kids were fake, but the build up, the supposed romance, that horrible hospital scene. Thus far, unless we get a further explanation which I just don't think we will, it really seems like Wells is saying that yeah, 4 years was not just enough to move on from Peter. It was enough to totally fall for Paul, purge Peter from her heart, and then for an entire year, for no good reason, treat him like garbage.

Maybe, MAYBE Wells will write a line in later or something further explaining this, but I highly doubt it. This arc was entirely predicated on answering these questions, so in his mind, he has answered them. Yeah, not even 4 years was enough to turn MJ from one of the greatest Marvel characters into an unrecognizable asshole. Who screams "I'm gonna kill you!" next to her No-Killing Rule Ex, and screams in the middle of a crisis "Spider-man is not my boyfriend!" JUST to remind the audience she hates Peter with all her soul now. She probably spit on him after that last page for funsies.

I just can't/won't believe it. It's beyond bad character writing, it's just terrible writing on every level when you can't even answer your own damn questions.
    Last edited by Venomsaurus; 06-01-2023 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I'm always happy to see bad books get their comeuppaance but it's disappointing to me how the Kamala part is the only part that's getting shredded. I mean, that part is bad too but there' so much more to hate here!
    Maybe that was the goal? Cover up the character assassination with an actual assassination?

Friendly reminder folks. Please don't hate read/buy this book if you're upset. Enough is enough. The book has been going down the toilet quickly with the last 26 issues, but if you continue to buy, Marvel isn't going to change their ways. If you love the book, that's fine, but if you're upset, you gotta take a stand at some point. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by duke togo View Post
    Friendly reminder folks. Please don't hate read/buy this book if you're upset. Enough is enough. The book has been going down the toilet quickly with the last 26 issues, but if you continue to buy, Marvel isn't going to change their ways. If you love the book, that's fine, but if you're upset, you gotta take a stand at some point. 'Nuff said.
    Yup. And send a letter that you've dropped the book to
    spideyoffice@marvel.com

Anyone want to bring up the fact that Kamala was wiping the floor with this demon easier than Spider-Man ever did :P And ultimately was the one that tricked and defeated him (for now).

Quote Originally Posted by duke togo View Post
    spideyoffice@marvel.com
    Triple signed. Look, we all just want good stories that respect the characters we love. And I like to think even the most obstinate Marvel editor wants to do right by the legacy of such a beloved character. Let them know how you feel and what you actually would be happy to spend money on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    You're talking about something that happened in a few issues of a mini by someone who has never been the regular writer of a Spider-Man title and has never again been mentioned anywhere and takes place in a nebulous place in continuity. (The first issue was published in May 2010 and the final issue was published in May 2011. I guess it say a few delays or was on a bi-monthly schedule.)

But sure, that's absolutely a meaningful relationship, I guess.
    It's really amazing how the "Mary Jane is Peter's SOULMATE" crowd want to diminish the time Peter also spent time away for about a 3 year span and was going to marry someone else. Funny that.

The ones also screaming the loudest about "choice being taken away" from Mary Jane don't want to mention how Sara WOULD have married Peter had her memories not been altered/erased. You want to talk about choice being taken away? Talk about that. Because that's an actual example of it.

Mary Jane didn't choose to be trapped in an alternate world. Just as Sara didn't choose to be lost in time. But Mary Jane chose to be with Paul when she could have kept everything platonic.

Sara and Peter chose to be with one another, Peter chose to marry her. Sara didn't choose to have her memories taken away. Peter didn't choose to have them taken away from her.

So if you want to talk about Spider-Man romances that involved marriage where someone's choice was actively taken away, there you have it.

People keep on trying to theorycraft SOME WAY that Paul is lying or SOME WAY that Mary Jane's memory has been altered to convince themselves why she'd pick Paul over Peter or how she could fall in love with someone other than Peter. And they get up on their high horses about misogyny and things of that variety and how 'offensive' it is.

But I mention Sara Bailey and she's treated like she doesn't matter when she actually had choice and memories taken away from her against her will. And had those choices not been taken away against her will, she and Peter would have married. And the problematic nature of Peter being able to keep his memories but she gets hers taken away in order to avoid getting married, is glossed over and barely mentioned at best. But Mary Jane actively makes her own choice and suddenly "What misogynism behind such a decision!!!" Seems it only matters when it's certain characters but not all.

But go off I guess.

The reality is this. Despite the "soulmate" crowd. Intervention needed to happen to prevent Peter from marrying someone else he'd fallen in love with. Active choice was taken away from her so she could 'conveniently' forget him in order to prevent them from being married. To top it all off he was allowed to keep his memories, whereas she wasn't. She wasn't given the choice. She wasn't given the option. It was just taken from her. If you really wanted to go off about choice being taken away, that'd be your actual version of it.

Replace Sara with Mary Jane in the same situation and I guarantee you all heck would be breaking loose on this forum. If Mary Jane and Peter got trapped in time, fell back in love full-time, and Peter was about to propose to her. And then they were transported back to modern time with Mary Jane having no memory of their time together or no memory of her loving Peter(against her will, mind you), whereas Peter had to keep his memories. I could only imagine the hellstorm that it would create.

But it happens with Sara and it's "Well it was a first time writer.." and "eh.. not really that meaningful.."

I see.
    Last edited by Majesty; 06-01-2023 at 11:22 AM.

spideyoffice@marvel.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Triple signed. Look, we all just want good stories that respect the characters we love. And I like to think even the most obstinate Marvel editor wants to do right by the legacy of such a beloved character. Let them know how you feel and what you actually would be happy to spend money on.
    I just sent a letter. Every little bit helps

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Ms. Marvel is just the most blatant example of how poorly conceived and tone deaf the story is. The stuff with MJ is also bad, but they've been doing her dirty for years and as a spider-man supporting character, she rarely gets much attention outside of the Spider-man fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    It's really amazing how the "Mary Jane is Peter's SOULMATE" crowd want to diminish the time Peter also spent time away for about a 3 year span and was going to marry someone else. Funny that.
    Let me know when the official Marvel Encyclopedia has a chapter on Sara calling her his “One True Love”. I wonder who they DID say that about…

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Then let's wait and see if it sells better than Ms. Marvel: Beyond the Limit did.
    Assuming they even give her a solo and not throw her in a team book.
    They've been doing it for decades.
    And it felt especially egregious here.
    Anyone want to bring up the fact that Kamala was wiping the floor with this demon easier than Spider-Man ever did :P And ultimately was the one that tricked and defeated him (for now).
    I mean, this is the Wells run. Peter barely doing anything against the main villains is pretty par for the course.

But the way they ultimately resolved it didn't fit Kamala or her character development and just made Rabin look even more lame.

The ones also screaming the loudest about "choice being taken away" from Mary Jane don't want to mention how Sara WOULD have married Peter had her memories not been altered/erased. You want to talk about choice being taken away? Talk about that. Because that's an actual example of it.

Mary Jane didn't choose to be trapped in an alternate world. Just as Sara didn't choose to be lost in time. But Mary Jane chose to be with Paul when she could have kept everything platonic.

Sara and Peter chose to be with one another, Peter chose to marry her. Sara didn't choose to have her memories taken away. Peter didn't choose to have them taken away from her.

So if you want to talk about Spider-Man romances that involved marriage where someone's choice was actively taken away, there you have it.

People keep on trying to theorycraft SOME WAY that Paul is lying or SOME WAY that Mary Jane's memory has been altered to convince themselves why she'd pick Paul over Peter or how she could fall in love with someone other than Peter. And they get up on their high horses about misogyny and things of that variety and how 'offensive' it is.

But I mention Sara Bailey and she's treated like she doesn't matter when she actually had choice and memories taken away from her against her will. And had those choices not been taken away against her will, she and Peter would have married. And the problematic nature of Peter being able to keep his memories but she gets hers taken away in order to avoid getting married, is glossed over and barely mentioned at best. But Mary Jane actively makes her own choice and suddenly "What misogynism behind such a decision!!!" Seems it only matters when it's certain characters but not all.

But go off I guess.

The reality is this. Despite the "soulmate" crowd. Intervention needed to happen to prevent Peter from marrying someone else he'd fallen in love with. Active choice was taken away from her so she could 'conveniently' forget him in order to prevent them from being married. To top it all off he was allowed to keep his memories, whereas she wasn't. She wasn't given the choice. She wasn't given the option. It was just taken from her. If you really wanted to go off about choice being taken away, that'd be your actual version of it.

Replace Sara with Mary Jane in the same situation and I guarantee you all heck would be breaking loose on this forum. If Mary Jane and Peter got trapped in time, fell back in love full-time, and Peter was about to propose to her. And then they were transported back to modern time with Mary Jane having no memory of their time together or no memory of her loving Peter(against her will, mind you), whereas Peter had to keep his memories. I could only imagine the hellstorm that it would create.

But it happens with Sara and it's "Well it was a first time writer.." and "eh.. not really that meaningful.."

I see.
    Maybe Sara and Paul could hook up?

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Maybe that was the goal? Cover up the character assassination with an actual assassination?
    Marvel should know by now that it doesn't work like that! We can still see the character assassination happening on the page!
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Guess it only matters for some but not for others.
    Last edited by Majesty; 06-01-2023 at 11:35 AM.