Page 46 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: ASM #26 Preview

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    Personally I'm hoping for just something. A page explaining where the characters stand is all I really need. Even just something about MJ going to visit her sister or something to figure stuff out.

That being said, I fully expect 27 to just kinda ignore all this and start fresh with a new Doc Ock Beat 'Em Up. Is this one the original, a clone, or the OG in yet another clone body? Did Kaine kill this one? Too hard to keep track of Ottos these days.
    I kept playing around with my post but...yeah, ditto on the explanations. Although I also fully expect not to see one as well. I have a feeling its just going to begin with Doctor Octopus breaking into Oscorp or something.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    I kept playing around with my post but...yeah, ditto on the explanations. Although I also fully expect not to see one as well. I have a feeling its just going to begin with Doctor Octopus breaking into Oscorp or something.
    You monster. Though I shoulda double checked what I quoted, lol.

It will be interesting to see if Wells actually deals with MJ and how so. Lots of folks assuming we're going the love triangle route but I'm just not sure. Everything so far looks like mostly just focusing on more super hero shenanigan's.

I need a break from this because these past few weeks have been a nightmare to me as a fan. Hope some of you guys find something of value in this book going forward. I've been on CBR for a long time but I didn't come more often to the Spider-Man forums before this arc, but frustrations were too high and I had to see how others felt about it here. I've already said some things I'm not proud of to other posters here due to said frustrations and if I've offended someone because of prior disagreements, please accept my apologies. Thanks for all your input and wish you nothing but the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

Comicbookherald declares this one of the worst comics Marvel has ever published. Says it will be a part of the conversation of the worst of Marvel Comics alongside "gems" like Marville, OMD, and Sins Past.
    Not even close to that in all honesty. Marvel's had tons worse comics and story decisions. It's just the hot take that is popular right now that nobody will be talking about in about 2 month's time. It's done what it's meant to. But there's been tons of worse comics. Like any of the series of comics that teased Wanda and Pietro being together romantically.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    MJ is a drawing on a page. She does what the writer tells her to do. She has no free will because she is fictional. This is either the result of the writer fundamentally not understanding the character, or intentionally trying to sabotage the character. Or it’s all a fake out.
    Peter's a drawing on a page too. And it was within about 3 years time that Peter was ready to marry Sara Bailey. Which is another reason I don't want to hear this "1000 year" stuff when it comes to Mary Jane when not even Peter waited that long before he was about to marry someone else he'd fallen in love with.

But I guess he's allowed to within 3 years but Mary Jane should be judged harshly eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Peter's a drawing on a page too. And it was within about 3 years time that Peter was ready to marry Sara Bailey. Which is another reason I don't want to hear this "1000 year" stuff when it comes to Mary Jane when not even Peter waited that long before he was about to marry someone else he'd fallen in love with.

But I guess he's allowed to within 3 years but Mary Jane should be judged harshly eh?
    You're talking about something that happened in a few issues of a mini by someone who has never been the regular writer of a Spider-Man title and has never again been mentioned anywhere and takes place in a nebulous place in continuity. (The first issue was published in May 2010 and the final issue was published in May 2011. I guess it say a few delays or was on a bi-monthly schedule.)

But sure, that's absolutely a meaningful relationship, I guess.

Last edited by Kevinroc; 06-01-2023 at 01:43 AM.

I’ve never read that story, or if I did I’ve forgotten it, but other people have mentioned that he wasn’t with MJ at the time? So who cares. Look the problem with this isn’t even that MJ is with Paul. There’s a way they could have sold that for me. Like If they had said MJ thought Peter was dead, that could’ve worked for me. If they had cared enough to actually explore her emotions and thoughts about this situation, and actually paid respect to her relationship and love for Peter, I might have bought that. But MJ isn’t a real character in this run. It doesn’t care, or it is intentionally obscuring what she’s going though. Beacause as far as this run is concerned, she’s an object that Peter imhas lost and Paul has gained.

Not even close to that in all honesty. Marvel's had tons worse comics and story decisions. It's just the hot take that is popular right now that nobody will be talking about in about 2 month's time. It's done what it's meant to. But there's been tons of worse comics. Like any of the series of comics that teased Wanda and Pietro being together romantically.
    Killing the most prominent character of Pakistani descent in their roster at the end of AAPI heritage month in the manner that they did is astonishingly tone-deaf in a way that I don't think you realize.

No, it doesn't matter that she's going to come back sooner rather than later.

https://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/20...ala-khan-died/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    If this run is so horrible, why is it on issue 26 and nick spencer run only lasted 15 issues. Somebody is definitely being gaslighted if this universally panned run is still going but books like Ewing Guardians, or ultimates ended soon. Something isn't right in the koolaid. Comic fans say time and again when it comes to minority characters there is no space because they don't see it, they can't get the numbers, so if it is all about the numbers how is this book still going if it's as universally panned as diversity movements...
    I think you confused Spencer's 75 issue run with the Beyond storyline?

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    Personally I'm hoping for just something. A page explaining where the characters stand is all I really need. Even just something about MJ going to visit her sister or something to figure stuff out.

That being said, I fully expect 27 to just kinda ignore all this and start fresh with a new Doc Ock Beat 'Em Up. Is this one the original, a clone, or the OG in yet another clone body? Did Kaine kill this one? Too hard to keep track of Ottos these days.
    Yeah, MJ's plot will probably pick up a few issues down the line, and Fallen Friend will deal with the aftermath of what happened to Kamala (I'm expecting Wilson to write about the family and civilian friends, Ahmed to deal with Miles, and Waid to deal with the rest of the Champions).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

There was once a time I once thought Peter would unquestionably pick Mary Jane over Aunt May too. But I've accepted that he didn't.
    So, you're agreeing that OMD was out of character for Peter at the time and you're now using it as a precedent in a discussion with people who think it was a bad precedent.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Mighty Member

She found enough reason to move on, and made the choice to do so. That's what MJ did do.
    Yeah that's why it's bad. BEcause MJ wouldn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I feel like the culture has always been a little bit uncomfortable with this. Hence, Peter being the pursuer in most adaptations.

They did it with Smallville too. Clark pining over Lana, which is a hard reversal of the comic version.

I don't know if audiences - or if creators think audiences - can't envision the romantic subplot as not being boy pursues girl (or at least protagonist pursues LI).
    There's definitely a cultural bias for it to be in one direction. And I think the other reason people make this mistake with Mary Jane is that she has expressed this strong destire to be independent. But like, independent people want love too. They have desires and standards like everyone else. That's not at all incompatible with falling in love iwth someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing96 View Post
    Hi, first time poster here.

I think the big issue for many fans is that their relationship is not explicitly defined. I know ppl can say you need to read subtext but the fact that so many ppl across this platform and reddit are arguing what Paul and MJ are is b/c its not clearly defined which leaves ample room for debate (which I suspect is done on purpose). Also I refuse to believe the idea that everyone who can't read subtext is a moron so I really do blame the writing here. Perhaps Zeb never meant to delve further than he has in terms of showing their relationship on page but a single page where MJ confirms her feelings one way or the other would resolve the issue (and could have been done in this issue's flashback). I agree with the poster who said she chose to get to know Paul and came to trust him and built a tight bond that formed from trying to survive in the wilderness together. I can see how two ppl would grow close from that on top of raising two children together, essentially becoming their adopted parents. Some ppl have implied the scene where MJ and Paul are in the bedroom and there is a single bed to imply a romantic relation ship but given today's flashback it could just be a reference tied to that confession of who Paul really is and nothing more. I also saw someone pointing out that MJ chose to deny Peter a kiss but its possible that she denied kissing Peter b/c so much has changed in those 4 years that she is now committed to her family, so it isn't necessarily out of romantic love for Paul but because her life circumstances has changed so much. I mean its possible she is in love with Paul. I would argue odds are 50/50. Most of the supporting evidence for PaulxMJ could come strictly from ASM #25 but maybe also from the MJ/Black Cat mini where she says she doesn't care about him dating Felicia. But it could also not be the case based on text from ASM #4 where MJ seems to want to tell Peter something while at Oscorp but more importantly in ASM #9 where when Peter asks if she won't talk to him b/c she loves Paul so much but instead of confirming those feelings she shouts back its b/c of responsibility (maybe she meant towards her new family that she doesn't want to break up).

Idk what the real answer is and I suspect that since Zeb plans to write 50 issues for his run, that the Paul and MJ relationship will actually be explored further towards the second half of his run as a B plot. What this arc did answer is why Peter and MJ are not together but that still leaves the question of what do they mean to each other in the present with MJ seemingly moved on and Peter trying to move on. Btw I feel terrible for Felicia as its clear she truly cares for Peter and accepts that he still carries a torch for MJ but chooses to accept that anyways. She is awesome. Who knows maybe at the end of this run both Peter and MJ will be drawn to each other again and it will turn into a story of how these two star crossed lovers will never stop loving each other. I'm speculating pretty hard right now. Anyways I see so much discourse on PeterxMJ and PaulxMJ and ppl either arguing about the relationship status or on how this status quo was created so I wanted to add my two cents. I really do feel if the writing was more clear, at least one of these two arguments would be put to rest but I suspect stirring up drama is a good way to keep fans engaged and buying their product (i.e. the ASM comic) as they know a majority of fans are invested in PeterxMJ.
    I mean, that they're not explicitly defined is both a blessing and a curse. It's a curse because we're forced to consider the bad possibilities. It's a blessing in that perhaps things aren't as bad as they seem or some later writer can more easily retcon it so that it isn't as bad as it is. Personally this run would jump in quality (though it'd still be pretty bad for other reasons) if they just had MJ or Paul confirm they were never romantically involved. That's all it takes. Completely changes MJ's behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Or DOOM, even though he totally would have been able to save Aunt May especially if he knew Reed Richards wasn't up to the task.
    Such a terrible comic.

Peter wasn't dating Mary Jane at the time. If they had gone forward with it I would have objected to that too. THere isn't a believable way to break them up, frankly, expect killing one of them for a long time. I mean a LOOOOOONG time. So on a certain level, again, no story about them dating other people at this point is good. But what makes it even less good here is that Mary Jane and Peter weren't broken up. They hadn't told each other that it was over and tthey wern't getting together. If the yhad, then this story would be hated but Mary Jane wouldn't be out of character....well, not nearly as much (there is no excuse for the hospital scene). But that's not the status they were in. They were in a relationship together, they wer committed. THAT Mary Jane would wait...like she said she would.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    So, you're agreeing that OMD was out of character for Peter at the time and you're now using it as a precedent in a discussion with people who think it was a bad precedent.
    When you're citing OMD as justification for how characters should act you are just admitting you're wrong. lol
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-01-2023 at 09:20 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I need a break from this because these past few weeks have been a nightmare to me as a fan. Hope some of you guys find something of value in this book going forward. I've been on CBR for a long time but I didn't come more often to the Spider-Man forums before this arc, but frustrations were too high and I had to see how others felt about it here. I've already said some things I'm not proud of to other posters here due to said frustrations and if I've offended someone because of prior disagreements, please accept my apologies. Thanks for all your input and wish you nothing but the best.

Happy trails. I'll be on my way soon enough. I definitely woke up moved into the depression phase of this situation. It just sucks so much that we're months and months away from good comics again. Terrible job by Wells, Lowe, and Marvel.

I’m a very patient and positive person. It takes a lot to rile me up.

I can safely say I think the current comic is absolutely in the ballpark of Sins Past, OMD, and Avengers #200 as a truly bad story we will point to as a low point for years to come.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    4: This story is racist, and you claiming it isn't doesn't make it true. Kamala Khan is a POC who died in the guise of a white woman to bait the audience into thinking they had killed MJ in a comic released on the last day of AAPI month.
    Kamala Khan's creators and formative writers and artists are participating in this storyline. I don't think they would participate in this storyline if they thought it was racist.

They screwed up MJ & Peter's relationship... again
    They made MJ horrible to read about... again
    They tried, and failed, to make Jackpot a thing... again
    They killed off a popular character that we know will appear again because movies... again
    They're trying to pass of Kamala's passing like it was Captain America

Yeah, it's been a long time that I actually bothered to actually read ASM as we're now in the, what... 6th?, reboot/new volume of the series.
    I've been collecting since Volume 1 in the 1990s, and to be honest, all I do with the ASM series is bag/board it and add it into the collection. These books haven't been interesting since they brought Peter back to his brain/body after the first run of Superior Spider-Man.