Page 1 of 74 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: ASM #26 Preview

I’m here too? Is that really the introduction their giving Kamala?

Oh come on, Kamala herself notes it's not a great entrance line. She's probably nervous - fighting alongside Gold Goblin and Spider-Man, both of whom have the potential to realize her secret identity by recognising her voice.

Of course, she'll die in this fight won't she? Which would explain Peter being so emotional on the Fallen Friend cover, considering who they're fighting, he'll feel like it's his fault.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 05-26-2023 at 11:33 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Oh come on, Kamala herself notes it's not a great entrance line.
    Trying to hang a lampshade on it?

Still hilarious. “Oh yeah. Kamala IS in this book. Glad she reminded us.”

MJ wheres your mask you are exposing your identity as a hero
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

"So Pete, I'll break up with you in the coldest way imaginable and treat you like crap for months to act like you did something bad even though you didn't and don't you even dare ask to me to get coffee you irresponsible bum, but the moment Rabin comes back you better get your ass here asap" - Nega-MJ
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-26-2023 at 12:02 PM.

I found it interesting that Peter asked where the kids were... as if he might know of their "magical" importance perhaps? Maybe Wells is doing the lazy, in bad faith, sort of writing where we get another "flashback" where Peter and/or MJ and Paul figure out how to turn the "chains" against the baddie.

I think that was just meant to show his concern for MJ's family. Though yeah, he knows Rabin is specifically after her not the kids and still asks about them anyway. Is another "revelation" coming.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-26-2023 at 12:25 PM.

Good stuff from the preview, looks great. I suppose the issue was always going to lay it on thick, what with that interview page.

But man, there's just no sweetening this deal.

There was some talk of the sort of legacy this run is going to leave. Imho, best case scenario is it's remembered fondly, but always with an asterisk, with rot at the edges. Same way that we talk up JMS, but whisper "except Sins Past or OMD."

And that's a bummer, man

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think that was just meant to show his concern for MJ's family. Though yeah, he knows Rabin is specifically after her not the kids and still asks about them anyway. Is another "revelation" coming.
    Yeah. And with the weird nature of Wells' writing during this run, it could be either option... or he's just messing with expectations as he goes to "keep the audience guessing." Not a bad intent to keep suspense high, but this execution has been super poor so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    I found it interesting that Peter asked where the kids were... as if he might know of their "magical" importance perhaps? Maybe Wells is doing the lazy, in bad faith, sort of writing where we get another "flashback" where Peter and/or MJ and Paul figure out how to turn the "chains" against the baddie.
    I think that’s reading into it too much. It’s just Peter expressing concern for their well-being.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    I think that’s reading into it too much. It’s just Peter expressing concern for their well-being.
    Very possibly. It just seems a bit insistent as a first line out of his mouth. I guess Wednesday will reveal.

Mighty Member

So this is obviously the start of the issue, which makes my concern that we're going to get a bunch of fighting and nothing else. I mean, we know it ends with Kamala dying, right? Unless that's the middle of the book. I am still owed answers and I want them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Good stuff from the preview, looks great. I suppose the issue was always going to lay it on thick, what with that interview page.

But man, there's just no sweetening this deal.

There was some talk of the sort of legacy this run is going to leave. Imho, best case scenario is it's remembered fondly, but always with an asterisk, with rot at the edges. Same way that we talk up JMS, but whisper "except Sins Past or OMD."

And that's a bummer, man
    The best case scenario for this run is that by the end he has recontextualized his bad MJ with enough "reveals" that we like the end result and what it was trying to do but lamenting how long it took to get there and how wasteful and deceptive it was for no reason. "Fondly" is I think going to be a little strong.

Best comparison i have is the 90s Clone Saga, as someone who read it long after it was published, honestly most of it isn't that bad. Peter mopes too long at the beginning, and Revelations is just awful, but the Reilly Spider-Man books are fun and some of the mystery is intriguing. That's one of the two comparables I would have for the run so far, though at the moment I can't remember the other one.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    Very possibly. It just seems a bit insistent as a first line out of his mouth. I guess Wednesday will reveal.
    Even Norman makes a point of talking about them. It is most likely foreshadowing trouble finding the kids (and maybe Paul (and maybe even the team watching them)).

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Even Norman makes a point of talking about them. It is most likely foreshadowing trouble finding the kids (and maybe Paul (and maybe even the team watching them)).
    Good point about Norman.