Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: ASM #26 Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    "So Pete, I'll break up with you in the coldest way imaginable and treat you like crap for months to act like you did something bad even though you didn't and don't you even dare ask to me to get coffee you irresponsible bum, but the moment Rabin comes back you better get your ass here asap" - Nega-MJ
    i thought the same thing she knows that peter will come to save her no matter what because he's "the good tiger" what a terrible writing for mj and i'm not even talking about peter who acts like this mj doesn't didn't cheat and treat like ****... but it's not mj's fault it's zeb well who doesn't even know what he's writing anymore.

I didn't think we could do worse than gwen stacy and norman and black cat who becomes a murderer for no reason in terms of character assassination but zeb well it's surpassing for mj and giving us a mix between Sins Past and OMD mj is totally ruined, now only betty brant is missing to come full circle.

It's been 20 years since I read spidey and this is the first time that I no longer want to read my favorite series, it's such an abomination this run I'm disgusted.

BANNED

"So Pete, I'll break up with you in the coldest way imaginable and treat you like crap for months to act like you did something bad even though you didn't and don't you even dare ask to me to get coffee you irresponsible bum, but the moment Rabin comes back you better get your ass here asap" - Nega-MJ
    It really does feel like that after issue 25, doesn't it? She's just treated him like garbage all year and now he's gotta get his ass in gear and take care of this Rabin problem.

Also, I have a sinking feeling that directly addressing "Where are the kids?" means we ain't gonna see them.

It's also probably supposed to show growth on Peter's end, I guess? He went from "Who are they?" to "Where are your stupid children?" so I guess that counts. No MJ narration. I'm really worried this is just one big dumb fight and nothing else of substance.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    It really does feel like that after issue 25, doesn't it? She's just treated him like garbage all year and now he's gotta get his ass in gear and take care of this Rabin problem.

Also, I have a sinking feeling that directly addressing "Where are the kids?" means we ain't gonna see them.

It's also probably supposed to show growth on Peter's end, I guess? He went from "Who are they?" to "Where are your stupid children?" so I guess that counts. No MJ narration. I'm really worried this is just one big dumb fight and nothing else of substance.
    Peter will naturally do something that messes everything up and leads to Kamala's death and MJ not talking to him again. Though let's be fair she won't be talking to him again even if things didn't go to ****, but I'm certain this will be the issue where they would come up with yet another contrived reason for why Peter truly "deserves" to be treated that way. Him crying on his knees on the Fallen Friend cover all but confirms that he's directly responsible for the "tragedies" in this issue. Because of course he is. Why would you want your protagonist to actually be competent for once, that's just crazy.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-26-2023 at 02:38 PM.

Mighty Member

Peter will naturally do something that messes everything up and leads to Kamala's death and MJ not talking to him again. Though let's be fair she won't be talking to him again even if things didn't go to ****, but I'm certain this will be the issue where they would come up with yet another contrived reason for why Peter truly "deserves" to be treated that way. Him crying on his knees on the Fallen Friend cover all but confirms that he's directly responsible for the "tragedies" in this issue. Because of course he is. Why would you want your protagonist to actually be competent for once, that's just crazy
    I'm still holding out a bit of hope, but even I am sure Kamala's death will be somehow viewed as Peter's "fault", at least by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I'm still holding out a bit of hope, but even I am sure Kamala's death will be somehow viewed as Peter's "fault", at least by him.
    I legitimately wouldn’t be surprised if some accident happens that Peter is indirectly responsible for that gets Kamala killed… and the cherry on top is Mary Jane blaming him and saying “this is why I want you to stay away from me and my children.”

Twist the knife. Salt the wound. Burn it all to the ground.

And I’m an OPTIMIST most of the time. I just expect the absolute worst in this book.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    I legitimately wouldn’t be surprised if some accident happens that Peter is indirectly responsible for that gets Kamala killed… and the cherry on top is Mary Jane blaming him and saying “this is why I want you to stay away from me and my children.”

And I’m an OPTIMIST most of the time. I just expect the absolute worst in this book.
    I'm trying to prepare myself for their survival but it just makes no sense for Rabin to be dealt with and those kids to still be around.

Then again, 24 was worse than 23 and 25 was worse than 24 so who knows maybe he found a way to make 26 worse than 25!

Rabin is such a dull and boring villain. Like this is the villain that kills Kamala? This is the villain that drives Peter and MJ apart? Why are we wasting time with this guy?

And I can't believe we are at a point where Peter and MJ are relying on Norman Osborn for help.

And Wells continues to not know how to write Kamala dialogue.

Norman is the real winner of this run. I think when all is said and done, this will be Wells' true Spider-Man legacy, the fact that this guy somehow managed to make Norman Osborn more likable than both Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson combined.

Norman is the real winner of this run. I think when all is said and done, this will be Wells' true Spider-Man legacy, the fact that this guy somehow managed to make Norman Osborn more likable than both Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson combined.
    "The New Norman Osborn: Now with even more precious metals!!! How much would you pay for him? Wait! Don't Answer Yet! Zeb Wells just announced that he also does Julienne fries!!! Operators are standing by!"

BANNED

Peter will naturally do something that messes everything up and leads to Kamala's death and MJ not talking to him again. Though let's be fair she won't be talking to him again even if things didn't go to ****, but I'm certain this will be the issue where they would come up with yet another contrived reason for why Peter truly "deserves" to be treated that way. Him crying on his knees on the Fallen Friend cover all but confirms that he's directly responsible for the "tragedies" in this issue. Because of course he is. Why would you want your protagonist to actually be competent for once, that's just crazy.
    We know Paul is gonna show up at some point during the fight, thanks to the leaked final page. I bet he gets a bigger/better heroic moment where he uses some magic against Rabin and weakens him. Hell, just for fun I'm sure Wells will write in a moment Peter says "You're a better man than me and I'm glad you're sleeping with MJ. I suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post

It's embarrassing, isn't it. There are plenty of bad comics but to get to the point where people expect the worst and see it as the norm now takes bad to a different level. Then again this dumpster fire keeps selling so I guess we're just doing the yelling at the cloud meme.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-26-2023 at 06:15 PM.

Mighty Member

It's embarrassing, isn't it. There are plenty of bad comics but to get the point where people expect the worst and see it as the norm now takes bad to a different level. Then again this dumpster fire keeps selling so I guess we're just doing the yelling at the cloud meme.
    We're still not sure they're selling through and it's not just variant inflation. Even if they're selling to retailers still, if retailers aren't selling the books they're going to complain.

BANNED

One thing that kinda gives me hope that we might at least get something, or even if not in this issue, this whole MJ/Paul thing is still a fakeout. It's that if this was all really ragebait, why only the half-measure of ragebait? It occurred to me that if Wells REALLY wanted to piss the fans off, rile us up even more, he'd take it to the most extreme. He'd have MJ and Paul come back from the alternate timeline married, and the kids biologically as theirs. I remember hearing some rumbles that maybe that was the original plan and he backpedaled but I don't think anyone has posted any actual evidence of this. Even if this started out as some writing exercise, I'm certain he'd have something in mind for what got him into the mess so he can work his way out of it. Something to work backwards from explaining, instead of just dumping the question without an answer. Maybe it was just a thin outline, but there'd have to be some kind of answer in mind to tell your story around. Or there's no point in even setting up a mystery like this.

Now, obviously the big hole in that is that he set up the stupid "What did Peter do?!" which he never answered in the first 25 issues, and seriously doubt he's going to address in 26. So yeah ,we are dealing with a writer who could have just had no answer in mind and seriously thinks the 4 year gap solves the problem. I really, really hope not, but it's a very strong possibility.

What really makes me think that Wells could very easily plan to undo this is that he's made Paul and the kids a half-measure. Something that very easily could be handwaved away with a "I was under mind control, reality was warped, I did it to protect you" as we've all theorized. If this run ONLY had ragebait to it's story, he'd have gone full hog and made things seem a lot more concrete. We haven't even seen Paul and MJ kiss, let alone any real intimate moments, so it leaves this big gaping hole of "what else aren't you showing us?" that makes me feel hopeful there is some kind of plan to undo the majority of this crap. I know it's just me being hopeful, but I'm in a sea of negative emotions right now so I'm gonna keep clinging to this little life raft of positivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    We know Paul is gonna show up at some point during the fight, thanks to the leaked final page. I bet he gets a bigger/better heroic moment where he uses some magic against Rabin and weakens him. Hell, just for fun I'm sure Wells will write in a moment Peter says "You're a better man than me and I'm glad you're sleeping with MJ. I suck."
    I also believe that we're going to see something similar. It's obvious that we're going to have to swallow situations where Paul saves the day, or even saves Peter's ass, just to rub in our faces how awesome the character is.
    Also, given that MJ is now like a sister to Peter, he politely inquires about the whereabouts of his dear nephews. Uncle Pete is slowly becoming attached to them. How cool is that?

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Big spoiler is out on the internet beware and lets wait to share until the issue is out