Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Power girl special #1 preview

Power Girl will take center stage in Power Girl Special #1 by Leah Williams (X-Terminators, X-Factor) and artist Marguerite Sauvage (Action Comics) as she will get some new powers and a new mission, and face a challenge unlike any she’s experienced before in this shocking one-shot rising from the events of Lazarus Planet and Action Comics!

With Omen’s guidance, Power Girl now strives to battle the demons—literal and figurative—lurking within the minds of some of the greatest superheroes in the DC Universe! But the nefarious Johnny Sorrow has been searching for a connection to Earth-0, and the superheroines’ work may unwittingly give him the means to make their world his personal stage! Can Power Girl and her estranged Super-Family bring down the curtain on Sorrow’s evil plans? And at what cost?

Full Preview - https://www.impulsegamer.com/power-g...usticesociety/
    Last edited by Doctor Kent Nelson; 05-26-2023 at 05:28 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I didn't care for her back up in Action so I sadly doubt I'll be picking this up.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Is there also a Fire and Ice story in the Power Girl one-shot?

The Johnny Sorrow story looks interesting though...

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Is there also a Fire and Ice story in the Power Girl one-shot?
    Yeah in the book

I see Guy’s personality pendulum is swinging back to douchebag

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

sigh...still with the "Paige" nonsense.

I'm mostly picking it up for the Fire/Ice story. Don't like Guy's attitude here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkatie View Post
    I see Guy’s personality pendulum is swinging back to douchebag
    D-bags seem to be popular if Peacemaker's ubiquity is any indication. Guy following up his d-bag return tour from Black Label "Human Target" to "Doom Patrol" to here. Nice of editorial to acknowledge the latter two appearances had to take place before GL#1. It's encouraging they appear to be aware of what they're doing. (to some degree)

PG is an all time favorite and I like to think I’m open to new ideas BUT I can’t think of a worse direction for her. I’ll read this in Infinite next month and see.

The Titans are a team of children? How old is Fire supposed to be? Surely she isn't much older than them?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    Yeah in the book
    So....three of my favorite characters in DC in one book?!? Sounds like something that will join my collection in due course.

While I'm not a fan of the "Paige, professional therapist to the superheroes" role, I do like the thing with Sorrow. Looks and sounds creepy, so good on the writer and artist. Just get back to "Karen", lose the "Paige" thing and the therapist angle and it's all good. Perhaps Sorrow can hang around as a PG specific baddie rather than a general JSA one. She needs him more IMO, and he's perfect for her----someone she can't just bowl over. Someone she might need to get creative with. Someone who is a genuine threat even to her, but one that she can handle by herself IF she's really on her game.

Also, I'd love to see Fire and Ice interact with her; they really rarely have in all their long sort of shared history. And in general I'd love to see her do things again with the rest of her Giffen League "friends" like Ted and Booster, J'ohn, Captain Atom, and even Guy.
    Last edited by achilles; 05-27-2023 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The Titans are a team of children? How old is Fire supposed to be? Surely she isn't much older than them?
    Yes, she is. She (and Ice, and their fellows in the original Global Guardians, who all debuted in the 70's Super-Friends title) are closer to being contemporaries of Batman, Superman, etc. than they are of being part of their sidekicks' generation. At the very least, Fire is somewhere in-between those two generations, and must be closer to Batman's generation than the Titans' generation if only because DC have NEVER treated her as a contemporary of the Titans. Where on Earth did you get that idea?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    D-bags seem to be popular if Peacemaker's ubiquity is any indication. Guy following up his d-bag return tour from Black Label "Human Target" to "Doom Patrol" to here. Nice of editorial to acknowledge the latter two appearances had to take place before GL#1. It's encouraging they appear to be aware of what they're doing. (to some degree)
    Wait so is this going to be more Superman Leads The JLA Guy rather than Beau Smith Warrior Guy????

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    PG is an all time favorite and I like to think I’m open to new ideas BUT I can’t think of a worse direction for her. I’ll read this in Infinite next month and see.
    She's a physical character who operates mostly on that level. True, she's also smart and evidently very well educated in a Kryptonian sense, but she usually responds to problems with a right to the jaw. Giving her non-physical powers and then emphasizing them...doesn't work as well for me. She's not passive or really the person you go to when you want emotional support.

That said, there have been years when I thought I'd never see her published again, so this is sort of welcome.