Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Alright my review of the two stories...

spoilers:

Power Girl:

I know a lot of people don't care for "Paige" or PG suddenly having psychic powers (are they trying to make her more like America Chavez?), I do too, but I don't think it hurt the issue too much.

Firstly, the art from Marguerite Sauavage is an absolute gorgeous dream but that's a given.

PG and Lilith is such a random pairing but I'm just happy to be seeing more Lilith, especially in her snazzy new costume. I would say I'm catching some romantic subtext between her and Karen but Karen just racks those up with practically every woman she interacts with since the Palmiotti/Conner run.

Wait, Johnny Sorrow is from Earth-2? When was that a thing? It was nice to see Kal-L again though.

Also isn't Sorrow's big gimmick how he mentally breaks you when he takes his mask off?

It's funny how even after all that and Sorrow being a creeper, PG still gave him a kiss at the end. Well, she still punched him, but still.

I'm glad they addressed the Super-Family. It wasn't that they didn't care for her, Karen just felt insecure because of her status and not knowing how to relate to them, but now she's finally back in the fold.

Streaky! I dunno why he's going with Karen now instead of Kara, but I guess he'll get more page-time in her new series than he would with Kara's appearances in other books.

Fire and Ice:

The art from Natasha Bustos is really nice, cute, and colorful and Starer has a good handle on Tora and Bea's personalities.

Guy was being a massive dick which sucks as a fan of him and Ice, though Tora still seemed pretty into him here despite everything. Not that Fire cares for it any more than she ever has.

Honestly I thought Fire and Ice's screw-up was going to be more accidental and more their actual fault than just an escalating pissing contest between Fire and Guy that Ice just happened to be in the middle of and actually reported to Supes. It wasn't even that bad. But I guess it's off to Smallville. It also seems like there's some underlying tension for whose fault it is that might carry over to their book.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Alright my review of the two stories...
    Karen? Who is this "Karen"? I know only Paige!

Incredible Member

It really is so strange that they just decided to change Power Girl’s name after almost five decades of being “Karen.” It’s like if someone said, “Hey, you know what name isn’t working anymore? Ronnie Raymond. What’s that about? We can abbreviate ‘Firestorm’ as ‘FS,’ that sounds kinda like ‘Fitz.’ Okay, from now on you’re Fitz Raymond.”

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    It really is so strange that they just decided to change Power Girl’s name after almost five decades of being “Karen.” It’s like if someone said, “Hey, you know what name isn’t working anymore? Ronnie Raymond. What’s that about? We can abbreviate ‘Firestorm’ as ‘FS,’ that sounds kinda like ‘Fitz.’ Okay, from now on you’re Fitz Raymond.”
    I think it's probably because of the "Karen" connotation in popular culture.

I'd been thinking about it for a while lol... you can't get around the blond woman with that haircut being named Karen and going by the pseudonym "Power Girl." But I still liked her the way she was! I just wish the "Paige" change felt less forced. Also, the whole psychic thing just feels odd, like it doesn't quite fit... almost like when they gave her magic powers for a while?
    Still, I'm glad to see her get her own time!

On another note, I love Fire and Ice and am looking forward to their series. Maybe this is the new pattern... you get mischaracterized in a Tom King book, and then a little while later people rectifiy it by giving you some attention? It's happened so far with Wally, Blue and Gold, and now them... doesn't make it better, but still.

And yet, they're still calling Richard Grayson "Dick".

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Icefan View Post
    And yet, they're still calling Richard Grayson "Dick".
    Cuz unlike Karens, everyone likes Dick.
    "Cable was right!"

We actually had Nightwing run fairly recently where they tried to change his name.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    We actually had Nightwing run fairly recently where they tried to change his name.
    And we saw how well that turned out .

After reading the issue, I did enjoy it. I felt like the art was mostly good, and I liked that they added in other people who don't show up much, like Omen and Johnny Sorrow (who is a cool villain I wish they'd use more.) I really liked the fact that Power Girl was getting a chance to shine. That being said, I felt that they leaned a bit too hard on the old victim "woe is me" mentality... yes, it's easy to explore, but they seem to do it with every character, and I think Power Girl has been through so much at this point, is she really so unsure of herself? I guess I always felt like that was Kara's thing, while Karen had more self-confidence, what with her outfits, her position as CEO, and her no-nonsense, brash attitude. Sure, you could say it was a cover, but hopefully they will just let this stand as a temporary thing. I only say this because it seems to affect most superheroes these days, making them all seem the same...

The Fire and Ice bit was good, although a bit contrived. However, if it gets them their own series, so be it! Let's just not have Ice be another murderer/blackmailer.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eskana View Post
    After reading the issue, I did enjoy it. I felt like the art was mostly good, and I liked that they added in other people who don't show up much, like Omen and Johnny Sorrow (who is a cool villain I wish they'd use more.) I really liked the fact that Power Girl was getting a chance to shine. That being said, I felt that they leaned a bit too hard on the old victim "woe is me" mentality... yes, it's easy to explore, but they seem to do it with every character, and I think Power Girl has been through so much at this point, is she really so unsure of herself? I guess I always felt like that was Kara's thing, while Karen had more self-confidence, what with her outfits, her position as CEO, and her no-nonsense, brash attitude. Sure, you could say it was a cover, but hopefully they will just let this stand as a temporary thing. I only say this because it seems to affect most superheroes these days, making them all seem the same...

The Fire and Ice bit was good, although a bit contrived. However, if it gets them their own series, so be it! Let's just not have Ice be another murderer/blackmailer.
    Shame you get that point about PG, and I get it, and probably everyone who posts in this thread gets it, yet they keep on doing the PG as victim thing. Naw, PG wouldn't cry about something that made her sad, she'd be out there punching whatever made her sad in the face, (metaphorically if not literally). She doesn't do crying about what's done, she just soldiers on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskana View Post
    I'd been thinking about it for a while lol... you can't get around the blond woman with that haircut being named Karen and going by the pseudonym "Power Girl." But I still liked her the way she was! I just wish the "Paige" change felt less forced. Also, the whole psychic thing just feels odd, like it doesn't quite fit... almost like when they gave her magic powers for a while?
    Still, I'm glad to see her get her own time!

On another note, I love Fire and Ice and am looking forward to their series. Maybe this is the new pattern... you get mischaracterized in a Tom King book, and then a little while later people rectify it by giving you some attention? It's happened so far with Wally, Blue and Gold, and now them... doesn't make it better, but still.
    It's like "Yes my name IS Karen, got a problem with that?"

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    It's like "Yes my name IS Karen, got a problem with that?"
    THIS is exactly how she would respond! There's no need for a "Paige" name after all this time. It's just dumb and totally out of character for her.

I just don't see the PG/Karen that I've enjoyed reading about for decades in this PG/Paige story. IMO this is just a completely different character from powers to personality.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    I just don't see the PG/Karen that I've enjoyed reading about for decades in this PG/Paige story. IMO this is just a completely different character from powers to personality.
    I have been feeling that way for a while now. This recent turn of events put the nail in the coffin for me. I mourned by reading all her Pre-Crisis stories I could and all of her Post Crisis stuff with the League (and of course her chapter in the BODY DOUBLES mini). Now I just peek in and see how things are going for the new Power Girl. This one was sad and felt isolated from the other Superman supporting cast and now feels more accepted. So I am happy for her and for the DCU regular people.