Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    But does anyone think this is because of Jo? The DC with a new non-white female green lantern, that DC is trying to make the Main Green Lantern, DC kind of replaces Jessica with her.
    No because Jo was suppose to be in her own universe and not the mainstream one.

Kind of sounds awful to say this, but DC has so many Green Lanterns and obviously doesn't know what to do with them all!
    And that falls at DC's feet for making that mess in the first place.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    Unfortunately,that is true. It's also one of the reasons for the post. Most of the classic characters -especially Batman! - get so much attention that these new ones don't get any!
    Well part of the issue that many want to ignore is a comic book store is NOT required to order every book.

There books are at the mercy of that store owner.

1) the store owner who says a book like say Blue Beetle doesn't sell in MY store. So guess what book doesn't get ordered.
    This tends to be the main reason. There is another that tends to be a certain set of characters who fall victim to that one. But this is the main one.

Damian is a different case because of WHO his Daddy is.
    Along with the fact Superson (a cash cow they blew it on) is popular.
    He's going to be around.

And then you have another set of characters. That you barely see in comics yet appear everywhere else in other media. Like Duke Thomas in webtoons and Batman car show.
    He has a new figure and will probably have another one when Batman car shows starts doing toys. Yet he hasn't been seen in a story since September 2022.
    Same with Bumblebee.

Bad example there as Bumblebee is in the upcoming World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Luke Fox had potential, and probably still has he already made the jump to animation, but I still think there is a better chance of seeing him in the future than Jace Fox.
    Animation? I know Luke was in live action, in Batwoman.
    Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    Here's some of my favorites from the last 20 or so years in no particular order:

Blue Beetle aka Jaime Reyes
    Batwoman aka Kate Kane
    Wonder Girl aka Yara Flor (wish she had a different code name though)
    Monkey Prince
    Crimson Avenger II
    Hawk III aka Holly Granger
    Ghost-Maker
    Miracle Molly
    Monster Boy from the Bendis Legion
    Green Lantern aka Jo Mullein
    Beast Girl from Doom Patrol
    Swamp Thing aka Levi Kamei
    Dr Fate from the Bendis Legion
    Gold Beetle
    Flatline
    Casey Brinke from Doom Patrol
    Red Arrow aka Emiko Queen
    Roundhouse aka Billy Wu
    Crush
    Isn't Holly Hawk II? There's been two Hawks and two Doves to my knowledge?

Yara doesn't even like being called Wonder Girl, and I think it's daft that she's older than the previous Wonder Girl, who's also still using the name. Of course, she was originally meant to be Wonder Woman in 5G.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I'll be shocked if Damian is close to his comic-book age in any live-action setting.
    I never said he'd be adapted as a 14 year old. Only said he debuted before Miles Morales and Kamala Khan and was getting a movie adaptation after those two.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Mr Terrific is my favorite recent character but he may be like 22 years old, old enough to buy alcohol but he in time became my 2nd favorite member of the JSA after Alan Scott. Since Kent Nelson Dr Fate was gone. Heck my Alan is gone too so Mr Terrific might indeed be my favorite member of the JSA now.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Luke had a significant role in Batman: Bad Blood.

"Isn't Holly Hawk II? There's been two Hawks and two Doves to my knowledge?"

She isn't actually. There was a Hawk and Dove duo that were unrelated to the originals that got their own mini. It came out in 1997 and I don't really remember much about them except that I didn't really like them very much.

Hawkanddove3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Mr Terrific is my favorite recent character but he may be like 22 years old
    Try "twenty-six years old now".

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    old enough to buy alcohol but he in time became my 2nd favorite member of the JSA after Alan Scott. Since Kent Nelson Dr Fate was gone. Heck my Alan is gone too so Mr Terrific might indeed be my favorite member of the JSA now.
    Alan Scott is with the current Justice Society and get's a limit series that starts in +/-October.

Extraordinary Member

Unfortunately,that is true. It's also one of the reasons for the post. Most of the classic characters -especially Batman! - get so much attention that these new ones don't get any!
    Thing is the classic characters sell, the new ones often get something like 18 to 24 issues, but after that they are usually cancelled due to low sales.

And unfortuatly DC seems more interested in adding more and more new characters hoping that one magically becomes a hit, instead of sticking maybe 3-5 and trying to build them up carefully.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Luke Fox had potential, and probably still has he already made the jump to animation, but I still think there is a better chance of seeing him in the future than Jace Fox.
    Don't know with Jace being Batman, and Ridley using most of what was build up in Lukes Batwing run for Jace, I think there is not a big chance of Luke having a leading role in a comic anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Thing is the classic characters sell, the new ones often get something like 18 to 24 issues, but after that they are usually cancelled due to low sales.

And unfortuatly DC seems more interested in adding more and more new characters hoping that one magically becomes a hit, instead of sticking maybe 3-5 and trying to build them up carefully.
    They had one that magically became a hit, but they aged him up.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Isn't Holly Hawk II? There's been two Hawks and two Doves to my knowledge?

Yara doesn't even like being called Wonder Girl, and I think it's daft that she's older than the previous Wonder Girl, who's also still using the name. Of course, she was originally meant to be Wonder Woman in 5G.

I never said he'd be adapted as a 14 year old. Only said he debuted before Miles Morales and Kamala Khan and was getting a movie adaptation after those two.
    I never said you said it. I was just pointing out that it's highly doubtful Damian would be starting out as a ten-year-old Robin in a film.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Jason Rusch Firestorm. Good call.
    I feel like he’s often the most forgotten about compared to his contemporaries (Jaime and Ryan). Had to show him some love

Naomi had her own TV show, Cyclone was in the Black Adam movie, and Jon is in Superman & Lois.
    I was thinking more in terms of constant exposure and not just a one and done thing. All the ones I listed have appeared in multiple DC projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I would put Kate (Batwoman) over Jessica Cruz. She has had a TV series, appeared in a couple animated movies and had a beautiful series by J.H. Williams III.
    And unfortunately, Jon would be over Kaldur, M'gann and Ryan Choi, only because DC is pushing him so much. If DC comics took YJ approach to Kaldur and M'gann sooner, they may have been used more in the comics. It was such a miss opportunity that DC didn't recreate YJ using the original 4 members, plus Kaldur and M'gann. I didn't care for Arrowette, so Artemis could have taken her place. But either would've work, though. I would even hire the show's creators to write it after the show was initially cancelled.

Where would you rank Kong Kenan (Superman) and the four other Marvel kids: Eugene Choi, Pedro Peña, Darla Dudley? They appeared in two movies but I doubt they'll ever get powers in comics again.
    I wouldn’t rank Kenan, as much as I loved his book and his character! He hasn’t appeared outside of comics unfortunately.

As for the siblings, I’d say they’re up there and I hope they get more love (Darla is probably the most popular of the 3),though with Shazam 2 and Black Adam flopping I doubt that franchise will get any more love from DC sadly

I still don't think that any of other characters apart from Damain Wayne have really shown staying power in comics.
    If they get book (any most of the time they don't appear anywhere) it are either minis or they get cancelled (or radically revamped) pretty quickly because of low sales.
    I wasn’t thinking just in terms of comics but in terms of who makes appearances the most in DC’s outside media or who has merchandise out in stores. Thinking that way helps alot of these characters out and to me that shows staying power.
    Last edited by El_Gato; 06-03-2023 at 07:11 PM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I wasn’t thinking just in terms of comics but in terms of who makes appearances the most in DC’s outside media or who has merchandise out in stores. Thinking that way helps alot of these characters out and to me that shows staying power.
    Considering that most of what DC puts out in outside media these days isn't really that successfull I'm not sure if that really shows staying power especially if the character is only a member of a team or a side character and not the one of the leads.

I can't really think of anything where Jason Rusch/Firestorm or Ryan Choi/Atom had a significant role in outside media (or even in comics).

When merchandise that's not really something I know much about, so no idea how much these characters have out in stores.

[deleted: I had a thought, but nevermind]

Incredible Member

I can't really think of anything where Jason Rusch/Firestorm or Ryan Choi/Atom had a significant role in outside media (or even in comics).

When merchandise that's not really something I know much about, so no idea how much these characters have out in stores.
    Would you count Ryan's role on Arrowverse's Crisis on Infinite Earths as a significant role? It's weird because he was supposed to be a major character, helping to recreate the whole live action DC multiverse and defeating Anti Monitor, but he was a civil so didn't have a suit, special abilities or fighting scenes.

An alternate timeline Ryan got a suit a couple of years later during Flash own crossover, Armaggedon.

And then Ryan was also on ZSJL but besides being introduced and being Cyborg's father's collegue, he didn't do too much.

Ryan's was also the default Atom for Batman The Brave and Bold animated tv series, having a funny friendship with Aquaman.
    Last edited by Batgrayson; 06-04-2023 at 09:39 AM.