Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    Would you count Ryan's role on Arrowverse's Crisis on Infinite Earths as a significant role? It's weird because he was supposed to be a major character, helping to recreate the whole live action DC multiverse and defeating Anti Monitor, but he was a civil so didn't have a suit, special abilities or fighting scenes.

An alternate timeline Ryan got a suit a couple of years later during Flash own crossover, Armaggedon.

And then Ryan was also on ZSJL but besides being introduced and being Cyborg's father's collegue, he didn't do too much.

Ryan's was also the default Atom for Batman The Brave and Bold animated tv series, having a funny friendship with Aquaman.
    As long as he isn't part of the main cast of the show I wouldn't really call that significant.

And in case of the Arrow verse he wasn't even the main Atom, that was Ray Palmer who had far longer tenure on these shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Considering that most of what DC puts out in outside media these days isn't really that successfull I'm not sure if that really shows staying power especially if the character is only a member of a team or a side character and not the one of the leads.

I can't really think of anything where Jason Rusch/Firestorm or Ryan Choi/Atom had a significant role in outside media (or even in comics).

When merchandise that's not really something I know much about, so no idea how much these characters have out in stores.
    They both appeared on Batman Brave and the Bold, were playable characters in Injustice 2 and many of the Lego games and were a part of the Arrowverse.

Though with new characters popping up, DC seems to have thrown them by the wayside recently, though it’s still way better than any other characters outside of the other 6 I mentioned
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

As long as he isn't part of the main cast of the show I wouldn't really call that significant.

And in case of the Arrow verse he wasn't even the main Atom, that was Ray Palmer who had far longer tenure on these shows.
    For me, not having Ryan take over as The Atom really hurt his standing. A one-off guest spot as a civilian rather than a hero.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    They both appeared on Batman Brave and the Bold, were playable characters in Injustice 2 and many of the Lego games and were a part of the Arrowverse.
    But again they are there only two out of large cast.

Staying power implies to me that these characters can support something on their own, or draw at least some interest, but I don't think that it would have in the end of the day really mattered which Atom or Firestorm they put in a show or game.

Extraordinary Member

In case of Firestorm you have also the problem that the version that's probably the one that is bets know by the general audience is likely Jax from Legends of Tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Mr Terrific is my favorite recent character but he may be like 22 years old, old enough to buy alcohol but he in time became my 2nd favorite member of the JSA after Alan Scott. Since Kent Nelson Dr Fate was gone. Heck my Alan is gone too so Mr Terrific might indeed be my favorite member of the JSA now.
    Your Alan is gone? So you think he's a completely different character just because he came out as gay?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    For me, not having Ryan take over as The Atom really hurt his standing. A one-off guest spot as a civilian rather than a hero.
    Yeah, he should've joined Team Flash as Atom II.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Your Alan is gone? So you think he's a completely different character just because he came out as gay?
    To be honest, it all depends on how he gets handled going forward as to whether he really is a "completely different character" or not for people who use to read and enjoy past stories with Alan.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Thing is the classic characters sell, the new ones often get something like 18 to 24 issues, but after that they are usually cancelled due to low sales.

And unfortuatly DC seems more interested in adding more and more new characters hoping that one magically becomes a hit, instead of sticking maybe 3-5 and trying to build them up carefully.
    That's not always true. Damin Wayne has had 2 Robin titles which DC cancelled before they got to 24 issues even though they weren't lowsellers.

Supersons wasn't cancelled due to low sales.

The character has yet to star or co-star in a title that was cancelled to low sales.

Just like you said, DC just isn't interested in carefully developing characters these days.

I understand that the industry has been going through a tough times for a while making it hard to devote the resources necessary to properly build up new characters slowly. Which makes it even more baffling why DC goes out of their way to undermine/sabotage the few new idea's /characters that found success. Like Damian Wayne and the modern Super Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    To be honest, it all depends on how he gets handled going forward as to whether he really is a "completely different character" or not for people who use to read and enjoy past stories with Alan.
    Isn't that always the case with every character? All characters have undergone changes over the years in one way or another, whether it's about their sexuality, or their powers or backstory, new status quo, whether it's a retcon or not, etc.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    But does anyone think this is because of Jo? The DC with a new non-white female green lantern, that DC is trying to make the Main Green Lantern, DC kind of replaces Jessica with her.

Kind of sounds awful to say this, but DC has so many Green Lanterns and obviously doesn't know what to do with them all!
    Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you but Jessica Cruz is Hispanic not white. If you meant something else,I apologize.

Incredible Member

Obviously,it's too soon to tell if any of them will become a hit but there are, of course, some even newer characters from this Dawn Of DC thing going on such as City Boy,Spirit World,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    That's not always true. Damin Wayne has had 2 Robin titles which DC cancelled before they got to 24 issues even though they weren't lowsellers.

The character has yet to star or co-star in a title that was cancelled to low sales.

Just like you said, DC just isn't interested in carefully developing characters these days.

I understand that the industry has been going through a tough times for a while making it hard to devote the resources necessary to properly build up new characters slowly. Which makes it even more baffling why DC goes out of their way to undermine/sabotage the few new idea's /characters that found success. Like Damian Wayne and the modern Super Sons.
    Some details for those who don't follow Damian:
    Batman and Robin V1 cancelled due to Flashpoint like every other DC title.
    Batman and Robin V2 cancelled because DC decided to give him a solo.
    Robin: Son of Batman solo cancelled due to Rebirth like every other DC title.
    Supersons cancelled because DC aged up Jon and figured out that their adventures should continue in miniseries that happen at some point before the age up.
    I'm not entirely sure why Teen Titans was cancelled, but probably due to them setting up Damian as evil Batman for 5G?
    Recent Robin solo cancelled because Waid did Batman vs Robin mini and Lazarus event.

So now Batman and Robin V3 will probably get killed for some random event as well.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post

No it hasn't.
    Other companies are NOT having these issues.

They are introducing new characters and doing books. They are just using a different business model.

Books with set runs. Image's Bitter Root was not meant to have 50 issues. They did about 18 and still got a movie deal.
    Same with Farmhands that will end with it's next arc.
    Titan's River's of London does mini series.
    Fence at Boom Studios started as a comic and moved to novels and now has a new mini series.

Here at DC nobody wants to do the WORK unless it's certain characters while others get derailed or sabotaged or viewed as a threat to another one (Hi Green Lantern).

I can't really think of anything where Jason Rusch/Firestorm or Ryan Choi/Atom had a significant role in outside media (or even in comics).
    When merchandise that's not really something I know much about, so no idea how much these characters have out in stores.
    Both in Batman Brace & The Bold.
    BOTH had their own comics and Jason somewhat had a role in Brightest Day that New 52 derailed.
    Jason was in McDuffie Crisis on the Earths dvd along with being on his version of Justice League.
    Along with being in the Injustice Game.
    Jason had more stuff in stores than Ryan.
    Both have done more than some who are forever shoved in our faces that get free passes.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Simon Baz, Naomi, Yara Flor, Cyclone and Jon Kent are other names that can be added but they haven’t proven their staying power just yet or haven’t shown up in outside media enough

I would've liked to add Naomi to this thread, but I'm not sure she fits. Her TV show was cancelled quickly, and after appearances in different DC books, and her own mini series, DC sent her away. Who knows if we'll ever see her again?

I'm hoping we do, as I really liked this character.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    No it hasn't.
    Other companies are NOT having these issues.

They are introducing new characters and doing books. They are just using a different business model.

Books with set runs. Image's Bitter Root was not meant to have 50 issues. They did about 18 and still got a movie deal.
    Same with Farmhands that will end with it's next arc.
    Titan's River's of London does mini series.
    Fence at Boom Studios started as a comic and moved to novels and now has a new mini series.

Here at DC nobody wants to do the WORK unless it's certain characters while others get derailed or sabotaged or viewed as a threat to another one (Hi Green Lantern).

Both in Batman Brace & The Bold.
    BOTH had their own comics and Jason somewhat had a role in Brightest Day that New 52 derailed.
    Jason was in McDuffie Crisis on the Earths dvd along with being on his version of Justice League.
    Along with being in the Injustice Game.
    Jason had more stuff in stores than Ryan.
    Both have done more than some who are forever shoved in our faces that get free passes.
    WHAT!

When was the last time Marvel sold a title in the millions. The entire comics industry has been in decline since the spectator boom of the 90's.

As for Firestorm and Atom when wasthjelast time they were major sellers. the new guys are performing on par with how Firestorm and Atom have always performed
    Last edited by Fergus; 06-13-2023 at 01:14 AM.