Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default The Best "New" Marvel characters (?)

Whom do you think has been the most popular/successful new character(s) for Marvel in the past 20 years and why?

Astonishing Member

Miles Morales is the biggest. After Morales, Spider-Gwen.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

The New Inhumans, especially Reader. Ms. Marvel is probably the most popular/successful new character for Marvel in the past 20 years along with Miles Morales.

Miles, Kamala and Squirrel Girl.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Ms Marvel, Miles and X-23 probably. I guess you could include Spider-Gwen here but technically she is a variant of a character that already existed.
    "This is me being reasonable"

I still think Deadpool is the most recent character to become “iconic” in that most everyone knows who he is even outside of comics. Marvel has thrown a lot of stuff against the wall to see what sticks over the past 30 years, but most of it eventually fades away. Like others have said, Ms. Marvel is pushing in that direction, but most people still don’t know who she is. Miles could get a push thanks to Spiderverse, but I dunno…

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Seconded and I'd add Miss Marvel to that duo.

I'd probably add Runaways but they seem more like a cult classic than Miles and the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Miles, Kamala and Squirrel Girl.
    Doreen doesn't count. She was created in the 90s in an Iron Man story. It just took her some time to become popular, peaking when she had the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl solo book seven years ago.

Definitely agree about Miles and Kamala though. Miles is the lead of the Spider-Verse movie franchise and Kamala's in the MCU, not bad for two characters created only 12 and 10 years ago respectively.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    That's a good start! Thanks!

Incredible Member

Oh,wow. Except for Ms. Marvel, not sure I expected anyone to pick the New Inhumans! Interesting choice.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I still think Deadpool is the most recent character to become “iconic” in that most everyone knows who he is even outside of comics. Marvel has thrown a lot of stuff against the wall to see what sticks over the past 30 years, but most of it eventually fades away. Like others have said, Ms. Marvel is pushing in that direction, but most people still don’t know who she is. Miles could get a push thanks to Spiderverse, but I dunno…
    Deadpool was created in the 90's so a tad longer than 20 years. But yes, he has become very popular.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Seconded and I'd add Miss Marvel to that duo.

I'd probably add Runaways but they seem more like a cult classic than Miles and the others.
    Ah,yes! The Runaways! Wasn't Nico Minoru/Sister Grimm being used quite a bit for a while?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Doreen doesn't count. She was created in the 90s in an Iron Man story. It just took her some time to become popular, peaking when she had the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl solo book seven years ago.

Definitely agree about Miles and Kamala though. Miles is the lead of the Spider-Verse movie franchise and Kamala's in the MCU, not bad for two characters created only 12 and 10 years ago respectively.
    Wow. If I knew that had completely forgotten SG had been around that long! Was she in many-or any- stories before she was in Unbeatable? Because if she only had the 1 appearance in an Iron Man story, she might be an exception to the 20 year rule.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    The New Inhumans, especially Reader. Ms. Marvel is probably the most popular/successful new character for Marvel in the past 20 years along with Miles Morales.

Hi. If you don't mind what were all of their names?

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    Hi. If you don't mind what were all of their names?
    1. Ms. Marvel
    2. Inferno
    3. Flint
    4. Naja
    5. Nur (Frank McGee)
    6. Reader
    7. Iron Cross

Mosaic was also a great addition, and his powers were more unique to Marvel, and so were Kid Kaiju's. Moongirl got her own TV show.
    Kamala, Lunella, Kei, and Morris all came out at the same time for the same reason, but only 2 of them stuck around.

Last edited by Force de Phenix; 05-27-2023 at 08:45 AM.