Default What stories would you retell to set-up a new Marvel Universe?

Let's say Marvel decides to launch a new universe. The classic universe continues with less restrictions on keeping any existing status quo. This new line is a bit different from the Ultimate books because the characters have been around for a while. So Spider-Man might be in college, the international X-Men have been part of that team, and the likes of Black Panther, Vision and Black Widow are current or former Avengers.

Before launching a dozen or more ongoing titles in the new Universe, Marvel wants to introduce the world in a series of mini-series, totaling about 52 issues.

How would you do this? What stories would work best as launching pads for the new Marvel Universe?

I think four 13 issue sagas, kinda like The Long Halloween, would work best. An ideal Spider-Man tale might be the Alien Costume Saga, just because it's iconic, but readers don't mind changes (IE- Eddie Brock knowing Peter Parker before he encounters the symbiote.) Secret Wars makes sense as a way to introduce the varied heroes. After that, it would make sense to have some Avengers and X-Men event, but I'm not sure what.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Let's say Marvel decides to launch a new universe. The classic universe continues with less restrictions on keeping any existing status quo. This new line is a bit different from the Ultimate books because the characters have been around for a while. So Spider-Man might be in college, the international X-Men have been part of that team, and the likes of Black Panther, Vision and Black Widow are current or former Avengers.

Before launching a dozen or more ongoing titles in the new Universe, Marvel wants to introduce the world in a series of mini-series, totaling about 52 issues.

How would you do this? What stories would work best as launching pads for the new Marvel Universe?

I think four 13 issue sagas, kinda like The Long Halloween, would work best. An ideal Spider-Man tale might be the Alien Costume Saga, just because it's iconic, but readers don't mind changes (IE- Eddie Brock knowing Peter Parker before he encounters the symbiote.) Secret Wars makes sense as a way to introduce the varied heroes. After that, it would make sense to have some Avengers and X-Men event, but I'm not sure what.
    Yeah, I would definitely retell Death of Jean DeWolfe with Eddie Brock as a player. I also think it would actually be better then the original because the plot is good but it's not Peter Davids best writing.

Kravens Last Hunt is perfect as it is so the old one would be the canon version.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Which would be the difference between this new universe and the main one?
    Maybe the story's move in real time and we use Marvel Unlimited as the mechanism to tell them

BANNED

One thing that might be interesting would be deferinsating all the teen groups by region. Because all the ages would be roughly the same. Oh and have the Punisher be a mentor for one for some reason.

Which would be the difference between this new universe and the main one?
    It's been less than ten years since superheroes emerged.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

If you want that, then do it the Ultimate way and show the superheroes actually emerging.
    The disadvantage with that is that you start out with retelling origins, and you're stuck with nascent versions of characters which makes it harder to introduce others.

If you're starting with Peter Parker in high school, that has implications for Miles Morales. The number of mutants would be limited in early X-Men stories.

This would be an effort to get characters who have some history, but aren't bogged down by it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Think, I’d be tempted to try to create a world where Dr Doom and Magneto were actually heroes…initially showing the universe as it is now, and gradually revealing the backstory…what was different in the past (compared to 616) leading to this.

So effectively…I’d be retelling the Fantastic Four and X-Men origins, which I think are the twin pillars of the Marvel-verse.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 06-14-2023 at 12:10 PM.

Incredible Member

Has the Earth number designation 303 or 929 been used before? If not, I’d say let that be the new numbering for the new universe, kinda indicating that’s “similar to 616. 303, 616, 929, etc, etc.

That would foreshadow similarities, but major differences. As a reboot, I wouldn’t want updated retellings, kinda like how the original Ultimate universe did, but real status quo shake ups. Some major events in 616 that were glue for some characters; change it up.

Probably SHIELD. I’d try to make it a more secret agent org with new characters and a more conventional structure like the CIA, but Starkified and set in buildings not Helicarriers.

Either that or show the transition from Jonathan Hickman’s 1960 SHIELD in Italy, to Nick Fury’s involvement right from the start.