Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think Hellcat's had some issues ever since the Six-Fingered Hand story.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 05-27-2023 at 06:39 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

It's an issue that arises with characters that have too much history and too many published issues. There's only so many stories you can tell with those same characters until it feels like you're running out of ideas. So writers feel the need to retcon stuff as a way to stay fresh, I guess.

In recent times, though, a lot of retcons are also inspired by media synergy. So when a Marvel character gets popular in live-action, they'll try to change stuff in the comics to reflect that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    It's just easier to.mess up the past than create something new. Plus, it's a cheap and easy way to tie your name to an established character.
    Yeah...there is the 'put my mark on the character' mentality with a lot of writers these days. Mostly for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    It's an issue that arises with characters that have too much history and too many published issues. There's only so many stories you can tell with those same characters until it feels like you're running out of ideas. So writers feel the need to retcon stuff as a way to stay fresh, I guess.

In recent times, though, a lot of retcons are also inspired by media synergy. So when a Marvel character gets popular in live-action, they'll try to change stuff in the comics to reflect that.
    Not to beat a dead horse...but I have said before that this could have been a Secret Empire story and actually been made more interesting.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Astonishing Member

Retcons have been part of comics for decades, not a recent thing. The worst recent retcon is revealing that Magneto isn't the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. The worst overall retcon is Gambit leading the Marauders to the Morlock Tunnels.

I normally adore Jim Zub’s writing, but his recent depiction of Hawkeye in the Thunderbolts mini left me absolutely cold.
    Yeah, Clint can be a loudmouth, cocky and hotheaded, but after all these years, he is NOT a boob!!

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

I know not a lot of people care about America Chavez, but her massive retcon as arguably the worst one in recent memory IMO. I loved her "utopian parallel" origin because it uniquely tied her into the Demiurge, sure it made her seem like "my OC is unique donut steel" but it was still neat. Now she's just another generic supersoldier who's program (somehow) went undiscovered despite including 20+ child experiments who had superman-like powers and could travel the multiverse at will, but since her DNA is messed up somehow she's been pseudo-nerfed by her not being able to control her powers anymore to this day. You'd think they'd attempt to 'fix' her since the MCU version has the utopian parallel origin but nah. On she trucks with her stunted powerset.

Chavez was a great character when introduced, with an awesome design. She was used well by Gillen in Young Avengers. But that Gabby Rivera run was so legendarily awful that it irradiated a promising character. I’m not surprised they tried to retcon it out of existence.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Yeah nothing new at all.

Wanda is the daughter of miss america and whizzer--oops she is now not.
    All winners squad is marvels first team--oops not anymore.
    Torch is married--oops she was a skrull all along.
    Wanda has kids--oops they were not real--oops now they are!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Yeah...there is the 'put my mark on the character' mentality with a lot of writers these days. Mostly for the worse.
    Agreed. So many writers wanna leave a mark, but functionally wimp out when it comes to execution (or are stopped).

Like Tony being adopted, it doesn't change his character from day to day. Or the current Outer Circle with Steve.

"Your round shield perfectly reflects our evil agenda that's only now being revealed! Muhahaha!"

It doesn't really compliment the character, and while it might seemlessly slide into canon, it's just as easily forgotten.

Brubaker with Winter Soldier, now that took skill and was executed pretty damn well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Agreed. So many writers wanna leave a mark, but functionally wimp out when it comes to execution (or are stopped).

Like Tony being adopted, it doesn't change his character from day to day. Or the current Outer Circle with Steve.

"Your round shield perfectly reflects our evil agenda that's only now being revealed! Muhahaha!"

It doesn't really compliment the character, and while it might seemlessly slide into canon, it's just as easily forgotten.

Brubaker with Winter Soldier, now that took skill and was executed pretty damn well.
    If they want to leave a mark do it by bringing a minor character more prominence. Look at what Hallum did in his Spider-Woman run with Roger Gocking.

In the case of Cap the characters he brought together to help could have been people more related to him...Steve, Sharon, Free Spirit, John Walker, Battlestar, D-Man and Vagabond. and make the mark by taking D-Man and Vagabond from crapped on or ignored characters to characters people like.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 05-28-2023 at 06:46 AM.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    If they want to leave a mark do it by bringing a minor character more prominence. Look at what Hallum did in his Spider-Woman run with Roger Gocking.

In the case of Cap the characters he brought together to help could have been people more related to him...Steve, Sharon, Free Spirit, John Walker, Battlestar, D-Man and Vagabond. and make the mark by taking D-Man and Vagabond from crapped on or ignored characters to characters people like.
    True, or build towards something.

Everyone wants to do a Dark Phoenix saga, without all the effort that set it up in the first place.

Honestly, I'd kill for some every day adventures instead of just setup for the next quest.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    True, or build towards something.

Everyone wants to do a Dark Phoenix saga, without all the effort that set it up in the first place.

Honestly, I'd kill for some every day adventures instead of just setup for the next quest.
    I want to get back to the old days. 2-4 issue arcs with a bad guy and then move onto the next bad guy. I also want more time out of costume showing they are people with lives who are also super heroes. Build on the past and move forward...not change the past to suit the present story.

Mighty Member

Define lately? Because for as long as I have been reading comics, I started in 2007, this has always been a fairly regular thing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Define lately? Because for as long as I have been reading comics, I started in 2007, this has always been a fairly regular thing.
    But generally not so numerous in a short period like this that I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverScarlet View Post
    I normally adore Jim Zub’s writing, but his recent depiction of Hawkeye in the Thunderbolts mini left me absolutely cold.
    Yeah, Clint can be a loudmouth, cocky and hotheaded, but after all these years, he is NOT a boob!!
    Hasn't he been depicted that way since Fraction's run on his solo?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman