Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    That's not how it works.
    They're my comic books, and that's how it works with my collection.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Yeah no matter the justification, I don't think I can see a man with impeccable moral compass like Alan trapping two different women into a life of lies for the sake of keeping himself in the closet. That's not what Alan Scott would do. If the series reveals that he did in fact tell them and they chose to accept him for who he is, that could be a different story, but since Alan isn't supposed to be bisexual as mentioned above, I'm interested in seeing how they could pull this off without making him look bad.
    How they handle this will be key to whether or not this retcon works for me. But I suspect that they're going to avoid dealing with it for as long as possible because they know it's a minefield that requires a lot of skill to pull off successfully.

BANNED

That's not how it works.
    You don't seem to understand how it works, honestly.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

So the original Alan is now gay.
    But the original Alan Sues isn't now (yeah, I know the youngsters here have no idea who he was - you bet your bippy!)
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Actually, the current ret-conned version of Alan is now gay.

The "original" version of Alan from pre-Doomsday Clock wasn't gay in those stories.
    So anything from before Flashpoint still has straight Alan as the Golden Age Green Lantern.
    That's how I see it. Dr. Manhattan changed Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Yeah no matter the justification, I don't think I can see a man with impeccable moral compass like Alan trapping two different women into a life of lies for the sake of keeping himself in the closet. That's not what Alan Scott would do. If the series reveals that he did in fact tell them and they chose to accept him for who he is, that could be a different story, but since Alan isn't supposed to be bisexual as mentioned above, I'm interested in seeing how they could pull this off without making him look bad.
    I haven't seen either of his marriages mentioned lately. Has DC retconned them out entirely? It wouldn't surprise me if they took the easy way out and just pretended that neither ever happened.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    But the original Alan Sues isn't now (yeah, I know the youngsters here have no idea who he was - you bet your bippy!)
    Very interesting.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Very interesting.
    But stupid.

It's been quite awhile since these boards have made me feel like a youngster

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Very interesting.
    LOL

I was going around the house as a preschooler parroting that close to 55 years ago.

But stupid.
    Watch it, bub!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It's been quite awhile since these boards have made me feel like a youngster
    ... and I'm not even as old as that Major guy.

... and I'm not even as old as that Major guy.
    There's dirt that's not as old as "that Major guy" . . .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    You don't seem to understand how it works, honestly.
    You are the one who doesn't.

Boy, that sounds dismissive to fans of one of DC's premier characters from the Golden Age.
    (How many other DC characters had their own self-titled comic books back in the 1940s?)
    Only four superheroes I think. Batman, Superman/Superboy, Wonder Woman, and Flash (x2 - he had Flash Comics and All-Flash).

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I'll say making the strongest guy of the team, the big guy everyone rallies around and founder of a glorious legacy gay does make him a cool gay character.

Provided of course he remains the same cool character he is and its not a case like say Fitzmartin's handling of Tim Drake being bi.
    Yeah, Alan has a believable story of staying in the closet for decades due to homosexuality being illegal then finally coming out as an old man when attitudes have changed. Tim on the other hand was written rather ham-fistedly. He ditched Steph off panel, saying she was perfect in every way except one. Being a girl. He was written as outright gay, even though he was supposed to be bisexual. Stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don’t get why they didn’t make him bisexual. They could have told a very similar story without making him look bad for leading women on and getting one pregnant. If it was a case of him figuring out his sexuality later on in life, I’d be fine with it. But he apparently was in love with a guy before he met the mother of his children.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I agree his relationships with his wives is something that should be explored. I'd like to think he was open with them and they accepted him as is, and regardless of whether or not he slept with them, if he considers himself gay then that's how he defines himself - either way, it's clearly something that needs to be addressed, especially since we know his kids weren't retconned out of existence anymore.
    The wives are beards to hide his true sexuality. They're also both ex-villains, he might have married them in hopes of keeping them legit. Didn't work with Rose/Thorn who ran off, but it did work with Molly/Harlequin. I suspect he didn't tell Molly the truth. She hasn't appeared since Alan was revealed to be gay - I think he waited for her to die before coming out.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I don't think he's faking things here:
    Alan Harlequin small.jpg

Alan and Molly.jpg