Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

All royalties go to charity. Sheridan is gay himself and has chosen to donate his income from this book to a charity founded by Elton John.
    https://www.polygon.com/23930473/gre...t-tim-sheridan
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    - It makes sense that his name's "Derby" but he just pronounces it "Doiby" with his accent. I guess I never thought about it.
    So you have never read All-American Comics # 27 (Doiby's first story)? Because they could hardly have made it clearer. He even says he is called Doiby because he is never without his hat--a doiby (derby). And then, in All-American Comics # 30, just to cement it, a passenger greets him with "Hello Derby!" to which Doiby angrily responds: "Say--don't ever call me dat! De name is Doiby! Doiby Dickles! Doiby--like in Joisey! S'matta witcha--can't ya speak Inglish!"

All of which means that having Alan refer to Doiby as "Derby" in the current issue #1 is a continuity mistake. Alan would know that it is "Doiby" not "Derby." A blunder by the writer, but I will forgive it.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Astonishing Member

Was I the only one bother by some of the transitions here. The story seemed to take place in two different points in time (Three if you count the last panel) but seemed to jump from one to the other rather abruptly. Kept being pulled out of the story trying to keep track of what was going on when,

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    So you have never read All-American Comics # 27 (Doiby's first story)? Because they could hardly have made it clearer. He even says he is called Doiby because he is never without his hat--a doiby (derby). And then, in All-American Comics # 30, just to cement it, a passenger greets him with "Hello Derby!" to which Doiby angrily responds: "Say--don't ever call me dat! De name is Doiby! Doiby Dickles! Doiby--like in Joisey! S'matta witcha--can't ya speak Inglish!"

All of which means that having Alan refer to Doiby as "Derby" in the current issue #1 is a continuity mistake. Alan would know that it is "Doiby" not "Derby." A blunder by the writer, but I will forgive it.
    To be fair, he's also called "Derby" in the anniversary issue and in Johns' Golden Age. So it might be a deliberate change from the editors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Was I the only one bother by some of the transitions here. The story seemed to take place in two different points in time (Three if you count the last panel) but seemed to jump from one to the other rather abruptly. Kept being pulled out of the story trying to keep track of what was going on when,
    I'm not a big fan of time jump transitions because more often than not they're distracting and not well handled. At one point I was confused over where I was in the story but overall it worked for me and I thought it was effective. IMO of course.

Amazing Member

I don't care about hi sexuality either. But this is the original Alan Scott, the other one was from an another universe, a modern take on the Golden Age one.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    SPOILERS FOR ISSUE #1:

- I liked it! We get flashback military stuff that ties into the current story, personal stuff, a little JSA (so nice to see Jay - with his old logo before the lightning got tucked into his belt) and a bit of a mystery.
    - The list of charges against Grundy in the newspaper is hilarious. Are those are based on real stories?
    - It makes sense that his name's "Derby" but he just pronounces it "Doiby" with his accent. I guess I never thought about it.
    - Their military op gave me big "Philadelipha Experiment" vibes. I like this as a soft origin tale. We don't really need another telling of Alan's origin with the train. Not sure where we're going with the Red Lantern, but these teases with the Crimson Flame make me look forward to his appearance.
    - I'll be glad if Alan doesn't make it to Hoover's party. I hope we get a scene of him and the JSA telling him to shove it.
    - Would mental institutions back then have had the bright orange jumpsuits? No biggie, but it stood out to me.
    Yeah, this was a really solid first issue. I remember the Red Lantern being mentioned in JSA but have we seen that developed further elsewhere?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    So you have never read All-American Comics # 27 (Doiby's first story)? Because they could hardly have made it clearer.
    Yes, clearly I didn't read that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by amerigo178 View Post
    I don't care about hi sexuality either. But this is the original Alan Scott, the other one was from an another universe, a modern take on the Golden Age one.
    The original Alan Scott was actually in the closet the whole time - you just didn't know it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by amerigo178 View Post
    Well, no, it’s not the “original” Alan Scott — the original Alan Scott was straight. (Or as straight as a fictional character can be, anyway.) But also, what does “original” even mean when a company has rebooted its universe multiple times? Not much.

It’d be more accurate to say the Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis Alan Scotts were straight, and the New 52 and Post-Rebirth Alan Scotts are gay. Simple, effective, keeps you from having to reconcile stuff like “why did his internal narration always reflect how much he loved/was sexually attracted to his wife?” or “why would one of the most honest, fearless men on the planet trick two women into marrying him despite knowing he wasn’t in love with them?” Because it’s a similar but distinct character. We accept that and we move on. Done.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Man we all need a guy like Derby at out side. He's a great friend in this.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    I'm not a big fan of time jump transitions because more often than not they're distracting and not well handled. At one point I was confused over where I was in the story but overall it worked for me and I thought it was effective. IMO of course.
    Yeah the transitions were not as clear so the time-jumps were a bit confusing even though the overall story was good.

First issue was fantastic, but a little confusing. I am liking his relationship and can't wait to see where it goes next.

For those who are homophobic (or going to come up with a million reasons why they aren't homophobic but find themselves upset about a rarely used character getting a refresh...), just accept that this one isn't for you and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by postfutureshock View Post
    First issue was fantastic, but a little confusing. I am liking his relationship and can't wait to see where it goes next.

For those who are homophobic (or going to come up with a million reasons why they aren't homophobic but find themselves upset about a rarely used character getting a refresh...), just accept that this one isn't for you and move on.
    Boy, that sounds dismissive to fans of one of DC's premier characters from the Golden Age.
    (How many other DC characters had their own self-titled comic books back in the 1940s?)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Boy, that sounds dismissive to fans of one of DC's premier characters from the Golden Age.
    (How many other DC characters had their own self-titled comic books back in the 1940s?)

Characters change - especially if they've been around since the 40s. This change makes him more interesting while also representing the queer community. There is no downside. If fanboys have a problem with it, they can go elsewhere or read the comics from the 40s. Continuity changes all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by postfutureshock View Post
    Characters change - especially if they've been around since the 40s. This change makes him more interesting while also representing the queer community. There is no downside. If fanboys have a problem with it, they can go elsewhere or read the comics from the 40s. Continuity changes all the time.
    That's just one opinion.

It remains to be seen if this results in any overall change in support for the character among readers / consumers (both old and new) in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That's just one opinion.

It remains to be seen if this results in any overall change in support for the character among readers / consumers (both old and new) in the long run.
    It's been like 10 years since the New 52. I know that was a different version of the character, but I think the reason you are seeing more instances of him as a gay man mean DC sees positive feedback to the change. He was going to be gay in the Green Lantern show they were developing as well. There's no going back now.