Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

One small detail that might fly over peoples' heads: the Dr. Freeman mentioned is almost certainly Dr. Walter Freeman, the self-aggrandizing psychologist who pioneered and commercialized the use of the lobotomy in the mid-20th century, taking it from a last-case procedure into a cure-all.

Edit: They also finally (sorta) gave Alan his original intended name, Alan Ladd!
    Last edited by Jody Garland; 11-28-2023 at 08:35 AM.

Astonishing Member

Either of Alan’s marriages being lavender marriages or him using Molly or Rose as beards would be pointless if Hoover or Arkham’s infamously unsecured records already had enough proof to get the yellow journalism engine going, and no one in the JSA would have thanked him for ‘taking the bullet’ like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    One small detail that might fly over peoples' heads: the Dr. Freeman mentioned is almost certainly Dr. Walter Freeman, the self-aggrandizing psychologist who pioneered and commercialized the use of the lobotomy in the mid-20th century, taking it from a last-case procedure into a cure-all.
    It flew over mine.

Edit: They also finally (sorta) gave Alan his original intended name, Alan Ladd!
    This is a great and fun development.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I have never understood the Alan Ladd thing, since the famous movie star was a nobody at the time GL first appeared.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Apparently Ladd was getting mainstream attention from film roles as early as 1939, so while he wasn't as big a star as he would be in a few years, he was known enough in 1940.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Or his sexuality could be more fluid and he loved those women as well?

We won't know until someone decides to tell those stories, but I don't get the hang up either way.

That said the pacing in this issue was a drag. I get that we needed to see Alan's relationship to the murder victim in order for the story to progress, but then we should have actually seen that relationship form. The flashback should have started with Alan checking himself into Arkham and meeting Billie and showed us how their relationship grew rather than dumping us in at the end and just telling us how important she was to him.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 11-28-2023 at 12:37 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Apparently Ladd was getting mainstream attention from film roles as early as 1939, so while he wasn't as big a star as he would be in a few years, he was known enough in 1940.
    He wasn't anywhere near known to the poblic at the time of GL's first appearance. He was still doing uncredited roles the following year in 1941.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    He wasn't anywhere near known to the poblic at the time of GL's first appearance. He was still doing uncredited roles the following year in 1941.
    Interesting. Not to derail this, I just skimmed Ladd's Wikipedia page. Sounds like he was doing a weird mix of credited but small roles and outright uncredited all while having been under contract since 1933. Guy's career took long enough to happen.

The first I had seen anything regarding the Alan "Ladd" Green Lantern was in Steranko's History of Comics. Could just have been a story that was false, but too fun to debunk.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

In case people are too lazy to look up ALAN LADD here is a photo cover from his DC comic of 1950's.

DCAlanLadd.jpg

Astonishing Member

I heard that the original proposed name for the character was Alan Ladd as a sort of nod to Aladdin but it was shot down as the editor claimed Alan Ladd wasn't a realistic name (or some such) which was prior to the actor becoming well known. Sounds apocryphal and it isn't like unusually punny names weren't part of superhero comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I heard that the original proposed name for the character was Alan Ladd as a sort of nod to Aladdin but it was shot down as the editor claimed Alan Ladd wasn't a realistic name (or some such) which was prior to the actor becoming well known. Sounds apocryphal and it isn't like unusually punny names weren't part of superhero comics.
    That was the story mentioned in Steranko's History of Comics along with a mention of DC's later Alan Ladd book.

Extraordinary Member

Alan Scott: The Green Lantern #3 Preview
    Writer: Tim Sheridan
    Artist: Cian Tormey

Back during Corrigan's "flashier" era.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Default Happy Holidays!

A Christmas gift from my mother :

BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)