Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    Tim Drake and Alan Scott have a lot of history that has to be retconned and explained away to make the new status quo make sense. Like I said, the codename was key in both instances, the character was secondary.
    Yes, the Rose/Thorn motherhood and the Molly Mayne relationship need some tweaking. Roy Thomas' handling of the Rose marriage and the missing twins was a mess and frankly needs a rewrite. Molly went from a groupie to an eventual lover. It was the Golden Age! Why couldn't a woman think she could convert a man to heterosexuality? Molly and Alan could easily have a relationship much like what was thought for Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy.

In the words of Capt. Liam Shaw from the third season of Picard...

That leads me to First Officer Hansen. More accurately, Seven of Nine. Hell, I'm a relic of an older time. By the book. By God, the book is boring... Hansen is reckless. She's unrelenting, doesn't give a damn about protocol or procedure. However... she is brave... and loyal, and... the book that she writes is gonna be great. And the rules that she breaks... maybe they were broken to begin with. So, in light of that, I have a recommendation: promotion to Captain when we return to port.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Lets go to Amazon where the Kindle section has this book.

Alan Scott: The Green Lantern (2023-) #1 Kindle & comiXology
    4.2 4.2 out of 5 stars 92 ratings
    4.2 on Goodreads 31 ratings

3 one star reviews.
    One suggest read Jupiter Circle.
    One says go read the classic
    The last one
    That is a valid criticism of the book which I mentioned myself a few pages back. Between that particular plot point being lifted verbatim from another book and the GeoffJohnsian (Hey, Major Hoy, can we start using this word?) tendency to overlay current characters and concepts onto a Golden Age time frame, there are certainly reasons to discuss the book that don't revolve around Alan liking men.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Nothing of Tim's had to be retconned. He's bi, not gay. None of his prior relationships were altered in any way.
    That's true, I had forgotten that. So I can still root for him and Stephanie with some hope of success.

Quote Originally Posted by amerigo178 View Post
    Thing is, it will never change back when next creators come alon. No one will have the will to do so.
    S. This how he will be going forward. Even if the title doesn't sell well.
    I don't think it's will, it's that Warner / DC don't want the repercussion of reverting back. They don't want to be seen as a company that is not progressive or labelled homophobic. On the other hand, Khalid as Dr Fate is now it forever. They don't want to be called racist either. Sorry Kent fans but the old man is dead.
    Last edited by finfan; 11-08-2023 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by finfan View Post
    I don't think it's will, it's that Warner / DC don't want the repercussion of reverting back. They don't want to be seen as a company that is not progressive or labelled homophobic. On the other hand, Khalid as Dr Fate is now it forever. They don't want to be called racist either. Sorry Kent fans but the old man is dead.
    I think there is a big difference between a mantle being returned to the original character vs turning a gay man straight. In most cases the original always returns to the mantle.

Astonishing Member

I don't think we've seen the last of Kent. Khalid -- we'll see how long he lasts, but Kent has a huge history that can't be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I think there is a big difference between a mantle being returned to the original character vs turning a gay man straight. In most cases the original always returns to the mantle.
    And with a new character, it is possible to have both characters. But changing a character's sexuality is an on/off switch. You get one or the other.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

In Khalid's series, Kent was brought back as an older mentor-type (and relative), so he could be returned again without necessarily displacing Khalid for the mantle.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    In Khalid's series, Kent was brought back as an older mentor-type (and relative), so he could be returned again without necessarily displacing Khalid for the mantle.
    And with DC exploring the JSA in a big way right now, Kent could easily pop up in a flashback story as well.

Or they could use Khalid, Kent and ... Lyta Hall (? I dunno - someone) as "The Three Fates" and have multiple Dr Fates running around.

Astonishing Member

I can see someone in 1988, 1993, or even 2006 making the same claim about Barry Allen. Now I admit that situation didn't involve race or sexuality but if you put aside the idea that somehow those are eternal hot button issues it still boils down to nothing being undoable by some new regime at DC. A decade from now there might be a shift where public opinion favors going back to basics and things we see today as being immutably changed are reversed. Dick Grayson back in the short pants. Green Lantern as a solo hero. Batman as a minor player in DC decisions.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I can see someone in 1988, 1993, or even 2006 making the same claim about Barry Allen. Now I admit that situation didn't involve race or sexuality but if you put aside the idea that somehow those are eternal hot button issues it still boils down to nothing being undoable by some new regime at DC. A decade from now there might be a shift where public opinion favors going back to basics and things we see today as being immutably changed are reversed. Dick Grayson back in the short pants. Green Lantern as a solo hero. Batman as a minor player in DC decisions.
    Well, the latter is obviously not going to happen as long as he's selling more than everybody else. Dick as Robin? Possibly (never the shorts again), but highly unlikely with the logjam of contenders and their fanbases (not to mention Dick's success as Nightwing). GL as a solo? Yeah, why not? But reversing a change in sexuality? I'd bet money on that not happening. Replacing a POC from his/her codename could happen, but still risky.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Well, the latter is obviously not going to happen as long as he's selling more than everybody else. Dick as Robin? Possibly (never the shorts again), but highly unlikely with the logjam of contenders and their fanbases (not to mention Dick's success as Nightwing). GL as a solo? Yeah, why not? But reversing a change in sexuality? I'd bet money on that not happening. Replacing a POC from his/her codename could happen, but still risky.
    Again you are saying that in 2023. My point was that what seemed unthinkable to someone in the past isn't the same today. The obsession with having a representative of every possible minority seems logical in 2023, but to someone in 2043 it might seem as backwards an idea as we see the attempts as depicting this stuff from the 70's and 80's. The same type of nostalgia wave that put Hal back as the main GL or reveied Barry after two decades could (not will, not is likely to, just could) create a climate where DC is focusing on a minimalism where stuff like the changes made to Alan since his introduction (head of Gotham Broadcasting, father of Jade & Obsidian, connection to the Guardians & GLC, coming out as gay) are all tossed to get back to the basics of "a magic wishing ring". Not every perceived step forward is as set in stone as it might seem. Not every idea that offends the 2020's zeitgeist is guaranteed to remain distasteful to the next generation.

Again you are saying that in 2023. My point was that what seemed unthinkable to someone in the past isn't the same today. The obsession with having a representative of every possible minority seems logical in 2023, but to someone in 2043 it might seem as backwards an idea as we see the attempts as depicting this stuff from the 70's and 80's. The same type of nostalgia wave that put Hal back as the main GL or reveied Barry after two decades could (not will, not is likely to, just could) create a climate where DC is focusing on a minimalism where stuff like the changes made to Alan since his introduction (head of Gotham Broadcasting, father of Jade & Obsidian, connection to the Guardians & GLC, coming out as gay) are all tossed to get back to the basics of "a magic wishing ring". Not every perceived step forward is as set in stone as it might seem. Not every idea that offends the 2020's zeitgeist is guaranteed to remain distasteful to the next generation.
    Well, if you take any bets on it, Jon, my advice is not to make a big wager.

Astonishing Member

Well, if you take any bets on it, Jon, my advice is not to make a big wager.
    No bigger than I would have in 1996 on Barry never returning as a main Flash

No bigger than I would have in 1996 on Barry never returning as a main Flash
    It's not the same thing replacing a white character with the original white character, though. No charges of racism or homophobia in that regard.

Astonishing Member

It's not the same thing replacing a white character with the original white character, though. No charges of racism or homophobia in that regard.
    You seem to be missing my point that just because those are charges someone would make in 2023 doesn't mean that down the line the same charges would be made or if they were that it would carry as much weight,

In 2033 if there is talk of another New52 (just to give a setting) I don't know that whether the Robin used is Dick, Tim, or Damian (just to offer options we recognize). I don't think that choice would hang on Tim as a bi-sexual any more than Dick as the original or Damien as the last one using the name (again for arguments sake assume Damien is still Robin until then). I'm not sure that if DC continues to introduce diverse characters for the next decade that having a single character be bi-sexual or even gay in their next incarnation will be as important.

It could be that gay Alan and Bi-Tim in 2033 will be looked at in the same light as Tyroc, the first "black" LSH member or the inclusive members of the SuperFriends (Apache Chief, Samurai and El Dorado).