Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    You seem to be missing my point that just because those are charges someone would make in 2023 doesn't mean that down the line the same charges would be made or if they were that it would carry as much weight,

In 2033 if there is talk of another New52 (just to give a setting) I don't know that whether the Robin used is Dick, Tim, or Damian (just to offer options we recognize). I don't think that choice would hang on Tim as a bi-sexual any more than Dick as the original or Damien as the last one using the name (again for arguments sake assume Damien is still Robin until then). I'm not sure that if DC continues to introduce diverse characters for the next decade that having a single character be bi-sexual or even gay in their next incarnation will be as important.

It could be that gay Alan and Bi-Tim in 2033 will be looked at in the same light as Tyroc, the first "black" LSH member or the inclusive members of the SuperFriends (Apache Chief, Samurai and El Dorado).
    I understand your point, Jon. I just don't agree with it in this instance. We'll just have to agree to disagree here.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I don't think we've seen the last of Kent. Khalid -- we'll see how long he lasts, but Kent has a huge history that can't be ignored.
    At most, Kent will be the new “Nabu”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    How many characters that were created straight, but later were seen to be either bi or gay, reverted back to be exclusively straight?
    Legion of SuperHero members after reboots.
    Shrinking Violet and Lightning Lass are two them for example.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    That's different, though, because the relationship wasn't overt. You had to read between the lines to know what was going on there.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Incredible Member

Speaking of the Legion, don't forget the "Shvaughn Erin is actually Sean Erin and she/he was in love with Element Lad and taking gender-changing meds most of her life" story from the 5YL period of the Legion. For the early 90's, that was pretty progressive.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Speaking of the Legion, don't forget the "Shvaughn Erin is actually Sean Erin and she/he was in love with Element Lad and taking gender-changing meds most of her life" story from the 5YL period of the Legion. For the early 90's, that was pretty progressive.
    That’s why I said SV and LL were only two examples from LoSH

I don't think we've seen the last of Kent. Khalid -- we'll see how long he lasts, but Kent has a huge history that can't be ignored.
    Have you read DC comics before? j/k Regardless of what happens going forward, the recent slate of JSA content shows they can always go back to telling stories from the past. (if these sell well enough)

At most, Kent will be the new “Nabu”
    Also, Kent has a bit of history of dying as well.
    And DC has tried its best to sweep away the original members of the JSA multiple times in the past.
    Sometimes, the originals get no respect from DC.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And DC has tried its best to sweep away the original members of the JSA multiple times in the past.
    And that is the problem... most of the originals get no respect from the DC Comics boardroom : (

Extraordinary Member

Alan Scott: The Green Lantern #2 Preview
    Writer: Tim Sheridan
    Artist: Cian Tormey

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Alan Scott: The Green Lantern #2 Preview
    Writer: Tim Sheridan
    Artist: Cian Tormey

Poor Alan .

Amazing Member

I agree, they never really get the chance to be the “rookies” new to the game, making mistakes
    Learning the ropes. The are always the old timers. When Roy Thomas created the Young All Stars.
    They were the old timers. Nu52’s Earth2 doesn’t count it was an alternate earth set now not in WWII

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    This was my first introduction to these characters (I started reading US comics around '94) and, instead of thinking Extant was badass or powerful, I thought it was weird that these characters were just dismissed so blatantly. It seemed odd to me, coming in with no real preconceived notions.

Obviously, I now know this was editorial sabotage (which is odd as they'd just been brought back), but even though they quit back then I thought Flash and Green Lantern were going to have a story to get revenge. Nope.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Obviously, I now know this was editorial sabotage (which is odd as they'd just been brought back), but even though they quit back then I thought Flash and Green Lantern were going to have a story to get revenge. Nope.
    There is a follow up to what happened to the JSA during Zero Hour during the 2000s JSA series. It's not Jay and Alan that take revenge on Extant though.... I'll say no more.

SPOILERS FOR #2

-- Interesting re-telling of this part of Alan's origin. This explains "Alan in Arkham" since it actually fits into previous continuity of how the lantern was crafted by a mental patient, while making it work with the story of his sexuality. Too bad Billie didn't get the "Life" part of the Lantern's power like the previous iteration where the mental patient was cured.
    -- The Red Flame and Green Flame seem to be a lot more connected than we knew. Could it be similar to how the GLC batteries had the yellow impurity?
    -- I'm not crazy about Alan having had several other relationships, brief or not. Having him already embrace his sexuality so early does make it seem it will be even more difficult to explain his marriages, but I guess we'll see if it's addressed here or if someone else will have to figure that out.