Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

SPOILERS for #3
    I liked the teamup with The Spectre. It's fun seeing that less godlike version of him. Their conversation on the rooftop was a great moment, but it would've been more impactful had they cut it off before his sermon on God's love, and who really deserves punishment, etc. It was just laid on too thick, especially with the hug. Alan doesn't strike me as willing to open up that much just yet and would've preferred if Spectre's message had time to settle in with Alan before he could truy embrace it, then have him open up with Jay rather than the Spectre, which just isn't as effective to me. (hopefully they're just saving the Alan/Jay scene for the end, to demonstrate Alan's arc)

I was hoping they wouldn't go this way with the Red Lantern - I suspected it for a minute then remembered that I think he appeared briefly before and seemed to be actually Russian, so I didn't think it was him, but ... okay. There's certainly a history of GLs being romantically involved with their enemies. Guess we'll see where this goes.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-26-2023 at 04:09 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    SPOILERS for #3
    I liked the teamup with The Spectre. It's fun seeing that less godlike version of him. Their conversation on the rooftop was a great moment, but it would've been more impactful had they cut it off before his sermon on God's love, and who really deserves punishment, etc. It was just laid on too thick, especially with the hug. Alan doesn't strike me as willing to open up that much just yet and would've preferred if Spectre's message had time to settle in with Alan before he could truy embrace it, then have him open up with Jay rather than the Spectre, which just isn't as effective to me. (hopefully they're just saving the Alan/Jay scene for the end, to demonstrate Alan's arc)

I was hoping they wouldn't go this way with the Red Lantern - I suspected it for a minute then remembered that I think he appeared briefly before and seemed to be actually Russian, so I didn't think it was him, but ... okay. There's certainly a history of GLs being romantically involved with their enemies. Guess we'll see where this goes.
    Ties in to today’s JSA issue as well.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Doesn't get better than the literal embodiment of God's vengeance telling you that God loves you and sees nothing wrong with you or your people. Jim is such a wonderfully charming Avatar of Judgement here, if we ever get more JSA character series Specter should definitely get a new title.

Wonder how much Johns is collaborating with Sheridan here. Funny to think that originally the new JSA issue should have happened long before issue 3 if it wasn't for the delays. spoilers:
    Guess Johnny's real name is Vladimir considering Alan reflexively refers to Ruby's construct of him as that instead of Johnny.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 12-26-2023 at 05:43 PM.

Incredible Member

There's certainly a history of GLs being romantically involved with their enemies.
    Very true, although I doubt DC is looking to remind us of Alan’s two previous forays in that vein.

IMG_4919.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

But it would make sense as, essentially, the Post-Flashpoint version of Pre-Flashpoint Alan’s Harlequin romance. (Har har.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Very true, although I doubt DC is looking to remind us of Alan’s two previous forays in that vein.

IMG_4919.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

But it would make sense as, essentially, the Post-Flashpoint version of Pre-Flashpoint Alan’s Harlequin romance. (Har har.)
    I wonder if they are going to address this at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if they are going to address this at some point.
    I have a feeling it won't be addressed here and that they have no plans to. I don't think they care how much of a corner it paints Alan into - they're fine leaving it unanswered. But if someone wants to, and comes up with a story, then we might see it.

The latest JSA would've been the time to do it. If Alan's marriage to Molly is still in continuity, that makes Harlequin's Son his stepson. That wasn't mentioned when he was. Note that Michael has Molly's last name, which means she was a single mother (if his Dad was around, he'd have HIS surname, surely?) and so was still available to marry Alan despite Michael's existence. If he had a different last name we could assume she married someone else.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-27-2023 at 02:34 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post

IMG_4919.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

That's actual continuity. Alan Scott had a wife that he cared deeply for and they were still very much in love at an old age. We got to see Alan Scott’s thoughts so we know he cared about her. He had two children and was with multiple women. Alan Scott is a character that has been around for 80 years with stories chronologically following his life.

Sheridan didn't care about this, or more than likely this particular trend of writers wouldn't bother to read Alan's Story. (I read Fanfics that stayed more close to the source material)

What he should done was make a new character for this all together. If anything, it would have made more sense to have Scott come to grips with his son Obsidian being gay.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 12-27-2023 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    That's actual continuity...
    Like all the horrible stuff Superman did to Lois in the silver age?

We all know continuity is a joke in DC - especially anything pre-their latest Crisis rewriting of the universe. If one were to reject a comic based on it not following "continuity," you'd probably have one - maybe two books you could buy. Well, maybe none actually.

Also, it's not like Sheridan made Alan guy. That happened before this title.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Also, it's not like Sheridan made Alan guy. That happened before this title.
    The only time I can recall Alan Scott gay was an Earth 2 version that took place in a separate universe. Is this current series also supposed to be a separate universe?

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    The only time I can recall Alan Scott gay was an Earth 2 version that took place in a separate universe. Is this current series also supposed to be a separate universe?
    Main DCU Alan was gay before this series in several places. Guess you weren't keeping up with him anyway.

As a gay man and as a longtime fan of the Alan Scott Green Lantern, I have mixed feelings about this Sheridan storyline. I love that Alan is gay, and it is well established LGBT history that many gays and lesbians of earlier generations lived closeted lives, marrying and having children. Some stayed celibate, and some had same sex relations on the down low. Most stayed closed their entire lives. Some came out very late in life. I know several men who came out in the their sixties, seventies or even eighties. So Alan coming out after many decades of being seen as straight is not a problem for me. It’s actually a refreshingly original take for comics.

My problem is that Sheridan seems to be to talking this in a narrative direction where the mini series ends with Alan being fully accepting of who he is. And that doesn’t make sense, if any continuity is to be preserved of Alan marrying and having kids and coming out very late in life. If Alan is struggling and in denial, his marrying Molly makes sense. If he is fully self accepting and still chooses to deceive and marry Molly, then he’s an asshole, and I would think his friends (Doiby, Jay, Spectre) would call him on it.

Ultimate Member

I have a feeling it won't be addressed here and that they have no plans to. I don't think they care how much of a corner it paints Alan into - they're fine leaving it unanswered. But if someone wants to, and comes up with a story, then we might see it.
    They kinda have to, though.

Alan has two kids, with a wife who wasn't Molly. And apparently, Molly has a son running around doing crime fighting.

Honestly, I'm wondering if they'll ever address these huge ass age differences that we should be seeing with these second generation kids.

Molly's son should be a freakin' Baby Boomer, same with Ruby. Lets see some non blood related legacies, already

I guess I just expect it to be addressed when they deal with his kids, which is an important part of Alan's character, though no one has ever seemed all that invested in Alan's female love interests one way or another.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The latest JSA would've been the time to do it. If Alan's marriage to Molly is still in continuity, that makes Harlequin's Son his stepson.
    After reading this month’s issue of JSA, I suspect it’s not in continuity any longer. Stargirl says, “Michael Mayne. Son of the original Harlequin.” Not “Alan’s wife, the original Harlequin.” Not “Alan’s stepson.” No one says, “Hey Alan, I know things are a little weird between you two now, but could you ask Molly if she’s had any contact with her son since he’s started committing all these assaults?”

Honestly, if they’re retconning his marriage to Molly, it’s probably for the best. Just draw a clear, distinct line between the pre-Flashpoint and post-Flashpoint versions of the character and let the matter rest.