Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    He had been married to Molly Mayne (the Golden Age Harlequin) back during Roy Thomas' Infinity Inc. run. And before that, he had fathered two children: Jade and Obsidian.

I believe James Robinson (the initial writer for the New52 series Earth 2) said that version of Alan Scott was made gay partly in tribute to Obsidian, who was essentially erased by the change to the New52. Though I'm not sure who was responsible for retconning the original version of Alan into having been a closeted gay man for all these years.
    wasn't that first mentioned in Doomsday Clock?

Always Rakzo

He had been married to Molly Mayne (the Golden Age Harlequin) back during Roy Thomas' Infinity Inc. run. And before that, he had fathered two children: Jade and Obsidian.

I believe James Robinson (the initial writer for the New52 series Earth 2) said that version of Alan Scott was made gay partly in tribute to Obsidian, who was essentially erased by the change to the New52. Though I'm not sure who was responsible for retconning the original version of Alan into having been a closeted gay man for all these years.
    Pretty sure that was James Tynion IV because he's just a (bad) fanfiction writer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Pretty sure that was James Tynion IV because he's just a (bad) fanfiction writer.
    So bad writing made the real Alan Scott gay. Got it. So its not getting fixed or even explained away via some weird retcon like the universal changes from all the Crisis's have altered the Starheart and Alan along with it starting with his sexuality.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    So bad writing made the real Alan Scott gay. Got it. So its not getting fixed or even explained away via some weird retcon like the universal changes from all the Crisis's have altered the Starheart and Alan along with it starting with his sexuality.
    Alan died right before flashpoint anyway.
    It’s already a retcon that he’s still alive, so retconning that he’s been in the closet until recently, is just as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    I mean, these characters have been altered by numerous reality warping and timeline altering events over the years. It's not that hard to imagine that Alan's sexuality and past aren't what they were a few Crisis events ago.

Incredible Member

https://twitter.com/iamtimsheridan/s...14785307467777

From the impossible mix of triumph and tragedy, heroes are born. Meet Corporal Johnny Ladd, USACE, in this early look at page 5 of ‘Alan Scott: The Green Lantern’ #1, out this fall

Looks like a pretty good 'modern day' comic with a focus on 'slice of life' and not on superheroics.
    I'm pretty sure they have pulled all the blinds down, double-locked the doors, disconnected the phone, turned off all the lights and are only talking in whispers. Lest someone discovers them...

Or the room itself is a creation of Alan's through the ring, and it keeps them hidden.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Are they in the army or something?
    It looks like they both have dog tags on, which I don't think would have been common outside the military back around the 1940s.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I mean, these characters have been altered by numerous reality warping and timeline altering events over the years. It's not that hard to imagine that Alan's sexuality and past aren't what they were a few Crisis events ago.
    Ultimately that’s the correct answer, yeah. Even ignoring that these are fictional characters and pretending they’re real, it’s been clearly established that they aren’t the pre-Flashpoint versions of the characters. They just aren’t. They’re similar in many ways, except where it contradicts a story a writer wants to tell.

The straight Alan Scott who was happily married to Molly Mayne last appeared in Justice Society of America #54 in 2011; he’s gone. This new guy is very similar, but it’s a different character. Pre-Flashpoint Tim Drake last appeared in Convergence: Batgirl #2, where he got a happy ending with Stephanie Brown. His story’s over. Current Tim has similarities to him, but they are distinct characters. Any other way of looking at it, you’ll only make yourself crazy.
    Last edited by The Lucky One; 06-02-2023 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Looks like a pretty good 'modern day' comic with a focus on 'slice of life' and not on superheroics.
    I'm pretty sure they have pulled all the blinds down, double-locked the doors, disconnected the phone, turned off all the lights and are only talking in whispers. Lest someone discovers them...

Or the room itself is a creation of Alan's through the ring, and it keeps them hidden.
    Are you basing that off one page showing Alan's private life? I don't doubt we'll be seeing some super-heroics. Also, I would guess this takes place before he gets the ring. (it's clearly not on his hand, though I don't recall if he ever makes it invisible when he's not being GL)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Are you basing that off one page showing Alan's private life? I don't doubt we'll be seeing some super-heroics. Also, I would guess this takes place before he gets the ring. (it's clearly not on his hand, though I don't recall if he ever makes it invisible when he's not being GL)
    You're right. It is only one page. And that is unfair of me to assume there would be no superheroics in the book.
    Even the Beast Boy & Raven page would've given me the same assumption. And there's undoubtedly superheroics in Titans #1.
    That's really a non-issue, though.
    I think what amplified the 'modern day' appearance to me, was how casual the scene is in an era when both of them would most likely be much more cautious.

I guess Alan wasn't celibate while still in the closet (other than fathering his kids).

From the original post:
    . . . “Tim has crafted a beautiful and shocking origin story for Alan’s greatest enemy, the Golden Age Red Lantern, that is both heartbreaking and inspiring,” added Johns...
    So, might as well add what we've got on Golden Age Red Lantern so far.

From The New Golden Age (2022),

Looks like he's a murderer that's going to be presented as a victim to gain reader sympathy and become an anti-hero when he returns.
    And I'm guessing his daughter will become 'Ruby' to Alan's Jade.
    With her not having blood on her hands (as far as we know), she might be easier to turn into a hero. Possibly even becoming partners with Jade and Obsidian.
    Now, if only Amethyst could join them...

Well, Ruby was on the 2040s JSA.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman