Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Alan Scott: The Green Lantern #1 Preview
    Writer: Tim Sheridan
    Artist: Cian Tormey

Not a fan of J Edgar Hoover having to force Alan into spending more time with the JSA. I honestly can't think of ever reading a JSA origin story, but had Hoover ever been linked to them in the early days? The whole scene was pretty gross though.

I appreciate that they went to the trouble of actually writing articles in the newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I'm curious what was wrong with how Jupiter's Circle did it?
    I didn't mean to imply there was a problem with the Jupiter's Circle story. I'm not sure the solution there was something a JSA member would do, though. I mention it only since I'd find a similar story disappointing when something different could be done.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Is Tim Sheridan a well-liked writer? I remember people complaining about his Shazam and Titans Academy miniseries.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by finfan View Post
    Forgive me for being jaded and blunt but this is such a PR Media stunt by DC.

Maybe if it was Superman or Batman, that would be something, opposed to an almost forgotten golden age character. Tokenistic at best.

Of course, the book might be totally awesome as well!
    To some degree, it's a stunt, but it's not like Alan hasn't been depicted as gay since Robinson's Earth 2. People threw a fit then, too, and Alan was the best character in that book.

I think the idea of having a character like Alan, this big, burly man's man from the Greatest Generation, as being in the closet has a lot more story and character potential than doing it with Batman or Superman. Yes, it's obviously a bit of a stunt, but one that has actual storytelling merit beyond that.

Honestly, I don't really care about Alan's sexuality either way. I loved the version of Alan in Earth 2 and I love the classic version. My only concern is that I've heard bad things about this dude's writing, but that's it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Not a fan of J Edgar Hoover having to force Alan into spending more time with the JSA. I honestly can't think of ever reading a JSA origin story, but had Hoover ever been linked to them in the early days? The whole scene was pretty gross though.

I appreciate that they went to the trouble of actually writing articles in the newspaper.
    Gross how?

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Gross how?
    Did you not read the scene? Hoover's blackmailing Alan to spend more time with the JSA, then it ends with the party invite and "bring the combat boots."

BANNED

Did you not read the scene? Hoover's blackmailing Alan to spend more time with the JSA, then it ends with the party invite and "bring the combat boots."
    Well, yeah, but that's very much the kind of thing Hoover was known for. I think using a hardcore anti-gay, blackmailing lawman (who was quite possibly gay himself) in a period piece about a closeted gay hero makes perfect sense. I mean, if you mean Hoover's behavior is gross, I agree but it's meant to be and that's supposedly what he was really like.

If it's gross that Alan has to be pressured into spending more time with the JSA post-war, that doesn't really bother me either. Either it's going for the idea that's been done in the past that Alan is a bit of a loner and likes to do things his own way, or they're building to a story where he's keeping his distance for a reason, probably because his teammates aren't aware of his personal life. It seems like the start of a character arc, so I guess I'm just not getting what's gross about any of it.

Well, yeah, but that's very much the kind of thing Hoover was known for. I think using a hardcore anti-gay, blackmailing lawman (who was quite possibly gay himself) in a period piece about a closeted gay hero makes perfect sense. I mean, if you mean Hoover's behavior is gross, I agree but it's meant to be and that's supposedly what he was really like.

If it's gross that Alan has to be pressured into spending more time with the JSA post-war, that doesn't really bother me either. Either it's going for the idea that's been done in the past that Alan is a bit of a loner and likes to do things his own way, or they're building to a story where he's keeping his distance for a reason, probably because his teammates aren't aware of his personal life. It seems like the start of a character arc, so I guess I'm just not getting what's gross about any of it.
    You just said, "if you mean Hoover's behavior is gross, I agree." That's what I was talking about. So you do get it.

BANNED

You just said, "if you mean Hoover's behavior is gross, I agree." That's what I was talking about. So you do get it.
    Ok, then I do. The way you phrased it made me think you were objecting to something in the scene, like being bothered by Hoover's depiction or Alan's hesitation to be with his teammates. I was just trying to clarify because the phrasing confused me.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Wait I get the issue here but how is it "Gross" specifically? Like why use the word gross for this?

Is it cause his homosexuality is being used to blackmail him? Okay yeah I can see the gross part there, that is incredibly cruel.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 10-22-2023 at 06:32 PM.

To some degree, it's a stunt, but it's not like Alan hasn't been depicted as gay since Robinson's Earth 2. People threw a fit then, too, and Alan was the best character in that book.

I think the idea of having a character like Alan, this big, burly man's man from the Greatest Generation, as being in the closet has a lot more story and character potential than doing it with Batman or Superman. Yes, it's obviously a bit of a stunt, but one that has actual storytelling merit beyond that.

Honestly, I don't really care about Alan's sexuality either way. I loved the version of Alan in Earth 2 and I love the classic version. My only concern is that I've heard bad things about this dude's writing, but that's it.
    Totally agree....I’m not big on retconning just to retcon, or to get “quotas”, but I’ve never had a problem with Alan being gay....it totally makes sense that a closeted man in the 40’s would get married (maybe even twice!)....truth be told, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were one or two more gay members of the JSA!
    Remember....there was only so much you could do back then as far as characterization goes....most of the heroes are pretty rank and file stock characters.
    I’m all for filling them out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverScarlet View Post
    ....it totally makes sense that a closeted man in the 40’s would get married (maybe even twice!)....truth be told, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were one or two more gay members of the JSA!
    Are you telling me that a secret club of very physically fit young men who put on masks and colorful skin-tight outfits might have more than one gay member?

Are you telling me that a secret club of very physically fit young men who put on masks and colorful skin-tight outfits might have more than one gay member?
    They were all just "bros" .

SPOILERS FOR ISSUE #1:

- I liked it! We get flashback military stuff that ties into the current story, personal stuff, a little JSA (so nice to see Jay - with his old logo before the lightning got tucked into his belt) and a bit of a mystery.
    - The list of charges against Grundy in the newspaper is hilarious. Are those are based on real stories?
    - It makes sense that his name's "Derby" but he just pronounces it "Doiby" with his accent. I guess I never thought about it.
    - Their military op gave me big "Philadelipha Experiment" vibes. I like this as a soft origin tale. We don't really need another telling of Alan's origin with the train. Not sure where we're going with the Red Lantern, but these teases with the Crimson Flame make me look forward to his appearance.
    - I'll be glad if Alan doesn't make it to Hoover's party. I hope we get a scene of him and the JSA telling him to shove it.
    - Would mental institutions back then have had the bright orange jumpsuits? No biggie, but it stood out to me.