Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I'm not really good at estimating weights myself, I was fishing for other people to throw out numbers XD.

What I figure is this: Goku's style is very power focused (based on how Roshi describes it) so he's probably more muscular than is typical even for real life martial artists.

Whereas Diana is a trained fighter without the same emphasis on Power that Goku has, So she would be about as muscular as a typical female martial artist is .
    The issue is that there is no 'typical martial artist'. There are weight classes in MMA for a reason, and you'll see people of the same height in wildly different weight classes (one can check this by looking at stats for various MMA fighters). As noted, Diana has been drawn anywhere from a ridiculously skinny Barbie look (which is not at all how I would envision her) to a quite buff look (which is more along the lines of how she should look, but that's my opinion). HOWEVER, as stupid as it is, one could very well argue 'but the Barbie look is fine because Diana is a magical being with super-strength, she doesn't need to look stronk, and through the years she has more often been Barbied!' (bleah, but okay, valid point as blatantly sexist as it is).

One needs to decide just how buff she would be, and pick a weight.

Similarly for Goku.

I mean, based on Goku's ridiculously over-muscled look, he's clearly going to be more massive than Diana per unit of height, and might even outweigh her unless she's in one of her more buff versions. And even there, it's going to be close, and maybe he's heavier.

But actual weights? We're completely getting into speculation at this point and that makes discussing a fight rather difficult. Someone could give their opinion on the weights, and then we're basically arguing two characters who aren't at all the official versions of Diana and Goku other than maybe by some vague idea of their skill (which is, as always, difficult to nail down objectively) and basing a whole lot of 'who wins?' on that opinion of the weight. Someone else could then come in with a perfectly reasonable but different opinion on their masses, and we could end up with a completely different winner. Etc.

Even my own question - 'what is the OP's decision for weights for this fight?' - is pretty wonky. It's kind of similar to saying 'Hey, OP - set all of the terms for the characters'. We don't see threads that state things like 'If Wonder Woman were stronger than Goku, but Goku was faster, but Wonder Woman was also tougher and a little more skilled, who would win?' because at that point we're not arguing Wonder Woman versus Goku, we're arguing 'Characters made up by the OP who superficially resemble the two fictional characters'.

At least with the weird-as-hell mass we're given for Goku and the 'official' weight for Wonder Woman we're trying to discuss the characters, as silly as some of that is. But it's no more weird than, say, discussing people who shoot beams of energy from their hands or run at mach four hundred.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

It suddenly occurs to me how goddamn frustrating it must be to be Goku, a dude who loves Martial Arts to the core of his being, loves challenging his skill and power to is limits even if it means his almost certain death, who possesses a practically photographic memory when it comes to martial arts techniques and spends most his time practicing his forms and sparring in melee whenever possible, who has seen practitioners of his own base style use things like pressure points, has spent much of his life traveling the world/cosmos learning martial arts and is recognized as a genius who even the gods are in awe of, then getting like 2 fights a season against people who are functionally immune to grappling and pressure points because they can fly, shoot apocalyptic levels of energy out of every inch of their body, and have increasingly alien physiologies.

Like, we've seen Goku do the stereotypical Neckchop KO to world class martial artists, but how would you even modify that move to work against a sentient wad of bubblegum who doesn't need to breath and is also a pocket dimension?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    It suddenly occurs to me how goddamn frustrating it must be to be Goku, a dude who loves Martial Arts to the core of his being, loves challenging his skill and power to is limits even if it means his almost certain death, who possesses a practically photographic memory when it comes to martial arts techniques and spends most his time practicing his forms and sparring in melee whenever possible, who has seen prescriptions of his own base style use things like pressure points, has spent much of his life traveling the world/cosmos learning martial arts and is recognized as a genius who even the gods are in awe of, then getting like 2 fights a season against people who are functionally immune to grappling and pressure points because they can fly, shoot apocalyptic levels of energy out of every inch of their body, and have increasingly alien physiologies.

Like, we've seen Goku do the stereotypical Neckchop KO to world class martial artists, but how would you even modify that move to work against a sentient wad of bubblegum who doesn't need to breath and is also a pocket dimension?
    Forum needs a like button. Some good points here.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Regardless of who wins, I could see Goku and Diana becoming one another's martial artist equivalent of dudebro gym friend. Like, there will be zero romantic tension between the two, but they will love having someone that they can be hang out with at her old fast food employer after lifting weights and practicing joint locks every weekend.